Windows 10: My Preview Build has expired

Discus and support My Preview Build has expired in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Preview Build has expired in a laptop that has not been used for a while. Now I cannot get updates for that old build??? How can I get updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dennis the Canuck, Sep 2, 2020.

1. My Preview Build has expired

My Preview Build has expired in a laptop that has not been used for a while.

Now I cannot get updates for that old build???

How can I get updates and continue using this PC?

:)

Dennis the Canuck, Sep 2, 2020

2. Error Pop-Up: This build of Windows will expire soon

Hi Jackson.

Based on the information provided, your Surface Pro is running the right edition, but it is on a preview build of Windows 10 at the moment that is still under development.

That build in particular has a bug that is triggering the soon expired prompt.

I recommend you try upgrading to a more recent build such as 18305 which was released just this week and is the last build for the year.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

If that does not work and no new builds download, then you need to download the latest preview ISO then perform a repair upgrade offline.

Step 1: Go to
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Scroll down to the bottom, click in the list box

Click 'Windows Insider Preview - Build 18290" - the first one.

After downloading.

Right click the ISO file

Click Open with > File Explorer

Start setup then go through the installation to upgrade to it.

You can then check for updates and download build 18305.

If you don't want to continue with preview builds, your next option is to factory reset using the Surface Pro recovery image.

If you need steps for that, let me know.

Andre for Directly, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Pauli O Win User
    Pauli O, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Martmcd Win User

My Preview Build has expired

Stop Preview Builds?

Turn it back on at the end of the month, check for updates and it should find the RTM.

Whether you can get the final release or not depends, somewhat, on how you installed the insider preview, and whether you wish to remain on the insider program.

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingw...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

The crux of it is this:

• Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
    • Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and
      stop being an Insider?
    “I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon
    your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since
    we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems,
    but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in
    the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern
    the offer*
    that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain
    activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Martmcd, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

My Preview Build has expired

1. My Preview Build has expired - Similar Threads - Preview Build has

2. My Windows 10 has NOT expired

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My Windows 10 has NOT expired: My tablet came with Windows 10 32bit. Manufacturer confirmed Windows 10 does not expire on any of their products. Windows Script Host readout included Window up-dates always functioned correctly.Recently allowed a "security software rep" remote access to my tablet. The issue...
  3. Insider Preview Build About to Expire

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Insider Preview Build About to Expire: I am using an activated windows 2004 (OS Build 20226.1000) And recently I have started getting a message box informing that my insider build is about to expire on 2021/01/31 on every start. I checked for updates and there are none available. Can you tell me about what this...
  4. Windows insider build has expired....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows insider build has expired....: I have been opt out of Windows insider build for few months now yet the build is to expire tonight and I have no clue what to do I want to go back to the usual my windows 10 pro build but idk how to as I want to keep all of my files...
  5. My Windows 10 Insider preview build is expiring TODAY

My Windows 10 Insider preview build is expiring TODAY: Dear All, I am getting this message every time I boot my computer, although I got a PRO license of Windows 10. [ATTACH] Today is 31/07/2020, and I am still getting this message. Please advise ASAP!!! I am also getting errors when updating: [ATTACH] And this is...
  6. Windows Build to Expire

Windows Build to Expire: I am getting this message but I purchased the Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft. I have the receipt in my email for $99. What is going on? I've read that soon my laptop will restart every 2 hours and etc...... What is the deal????...
  7. My Windows Build will expire soon

My Windows Build will expire soon: Dear All, I am getting this message every time I boot my computer, although I got a PRO license of Windows 10. [ATTACH] I subscribed to the "Windows Insider Program" and they usually send an update to extend the Evaluation copy, but since the COVID-19 pandemic, I start...
  8. Will my Windows build expire?

Will my Windows build expire?: Hi there, I have recently moved to the Beta Channel of the Windows Insider Programme from the Dev Channel. I am on build 20161, and every time I boot my computer, it warns me that my build of windows will expire soon. Will the build still expire even though I am the Beta...
  9. preview builds

preview builds: i cant turn my diagnosic data to full so i can get preview builds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-builds/bfc4efaf-e001-472d-8e0e-94af337c8384
  10. Windows 10 Preview build to RTM before my version expires

Windows 10 Preview build to RTM before my version expires: I'm trying to update from preview version 1809 build18272.1000 to the RTM version 1809 build 17763.134. I can't keep my apps and settings because the RTM version is lower than the preview build. Can I change the version number in the registry to fake it out? Is there any way...