Windows 10: My S key and capS LOCK key SEEM TO BE BINDED

Discus and support My S key and capS LOCK key SEEM TO BE BINDED in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For SOME REAson my S KEY AND CAPs lock key SEEM TO BE BINDED. I do not know how to fix thiS. wHENEVER I type "S" IT TURNs capS LOCK OFF OR ON.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrisasYW, Mar 22, 2021.

1. BrisasYW Win User

My S key and capS LOCK key SEEM TO BE BINDED

For SOME REAson my S KEY AND CAPs lock key SEEM TO BE BINDED. I do not know how to fix thiS. wHENEVER I type "S" IT TURNs capS LOCK OFF OR ON. Whenever I preSs CAPs lock it typeS s. sO, BAsically, the S KEY PERFORMs both itS FUCTION As an S KEY As well aS THE FNTION OF THE CAPs lock key and the capS LOCK KEY PERformS ITs job aS A CAPs lock key aS WELL As the function of THE s key. ThiS Is extremely fruSTRATING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. mY COMPUTER AND KEYBOARD/MOUse are newthey came together SO I DON'T UNDERstand why thiS Is happening. PleaSE HELP. a LOT OF MY school work requireS TYPING.

:)

BrisasYW, Mar 22, 2021
  2. MiSt77 Win User

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Mar 22, 2021
  3. wtf8269 Win User
    HL2 Key Binding

Does anybody know if it's possible to bind more than one key to a single command? I'd like to bind a keyboard key in addition to the left mouse button to fire. This way I can program a macro for my G15 to throw a grenade, take out the gravity gun, pick up the grenade, and throw the grenade all with the push of one key.

wtf8269, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Cliff S Win User

Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10

Yep me!!!!*Redface

Note: The original PNGs I found on Bing Images, but artist name wasn't given, I did alot of modifying in GIMP and iconified them myself though.

But....
    Shawn you know how I like personalizing dry things like .bat, .vbs, and .reg file, right?

1. Well I created a folder for both reg files, and placed it in my Documents folder.
    2. Then I created shortcuts to the desktop(using "Send to").
    3. I placed the shortcuts in a folder on the desktop.
    4. Then I customized the folder icon, and the reg file shortcuts(you cannot change the actual reg files icon, hence the shortcuts).
    I did this so that I could run both files as needed from the desktop toolbar.

My S key and capS LOCK key SEEM TO BE BINDED [​IMG]

Caps Lock off icon.ico

Caps Lock on icon.ico

Cliff S, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

1. My S key and capS LOCK key SEEM TO BE BINDED - Similar Threads - key capS LOCK

2. Problem With Cap Locks Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem With Cap Locks Key: I have been currently experiencing problems with the Cap Locks key on my laptop HP 255 G7 Notebook for maybe over a month or so and I really need help with fixing it. It started when out of nowhere my Cap Locks key would just turn on or off by itself like if someone was just...
  3. Problem With Cap Locks Key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem With Cap Locks Key: I have been currently experiencing problems with the Cap Locks key on my laptop HP 255 G7 Notebook for maybe over a month or so and I really need help with fixing it. It started when out of nowhere my Cap Locks key would just turn on or off by itself like if someone was just...
  4. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  5. caps lock key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock key: Hi, after win 11 pro update the visual mode of my caps lock and num lock keypad doesn't work, i tried everything again but it doesn't work. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-key/9272a23b-a780-4442-abd3-c66017b299b6
  6. caps lock key inverted

in Windows 10 Customization
    caps lock key inverted: when i have caps lock off for some reason I type like this: I TYPE UPPERCASE>in addition when i click on a number or symbol that can type a different symbol i type the symbol or other symbol>thats period...
  7. How to re-bind lock screen key bind

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to re-bind lock screen key bind: The default keybind for lock screen is Meta+L. I am running a VM with i3wm inside of it, and I need Meta+L to select the container to the left. If I want to ever do that, my laptop host will lock the screen. How can I change that keybind, so that I can use Meta+L inside my...
  8. Problem with Caps Lock key

Problem with Caps Lock key: Hello I bought a wireless Logitech K800 Keyboard and I use Windows 10 Pro 64 bits 1) It seems the Caps lock does not work (and the Nums lock key neither ! Is the re a wa y to fix it ? 2) Contrary to the "old" keyboards, there is no visual indicator of the status of these...
  9. Caps Lock key

Caps Lock key: My caps lock key isn't working when pressed. It's a Laptop and I've attached an external keyboard and it doesn't work on there either. Things I've tried: 1 re-writing the registry for caps lock by forcing it off and then back on. 2 re-map the key to another key still...
  10. Caps Lock Key

Caps Lock Key: HI, my caps lock key on my laptop is acting strange. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't work in Word, but does on the internet, but I can't turn it off. I plugged in another keyboard into my laptop, and it still didn't work, so it's not a problem with the...