Windows 10: My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games

Discus and support My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've recently set up a second monitor for my pc and I've been having this issue from that time. Before, when I had one screen, everything worked. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FlamingFury1000, Jul 31, 2019.

1. My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games

I've recently set up a second monitor for my pc and I've been having this issue from that time. Before, when I had one screen, everything worked. After setting up the second screen, the screens go black for few seconds and then come back to normal. I've tried updating the system up to date, updating GPU drivers and monitor drivers but nothing worked. Any help?

My first screen is ACER AL1916W (HD monitor, secondary), used earlier and had no problems. 60Hz
    My second screen is ACER K222HQL (Full HD monitor, primary), hooked up to the first monitor and set as primary, then the black screens flashes started. 60Hz
    Both of them are connected into my computer through adapters. ACER AL1916W is connected throught VGA > HDMI. ACER K222HQL is connected through VGA > HDMI > DVI.

My PC specs:
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    CPU: Interl(R) Core(TM) i3-4160

RAM: 8GB

MOBO: HP 2B2C
    Windows 10 Home

Things I've spotted:
    It doesn't have anything to do with memory or heating, I've been checking task manager and everything was as normal, but it keeps turning black and to normal while playing games.
    It goes black only while I play games, maybe sometimes after I close the game it goes black.
    My pc and old monitor worked perfectly fine before I plugged the other monitor in.

I would be grateful for any help.

:)

FlamingFury1000, Jul 31, 2019

2. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 31, 2019
  3. dgard Win User
    Black screen after exiting games

Hi all,

Ever since I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update a few weeks ago, I've been having a weird display issue.

Every time I finishing playing a game, upon exiting back to Windows my desktop is completely black. After some trial and error I've found that disconnecting the HDMI cable from my monitor for a couple of seconds and then plugging it back in results in the correct display.

I've done some Googling and it's been suggested that Windows may be showing me a "ghost display"; that is, a display that it thinks exists, but actually doesn't.

However, I don't believe that is my issue, as in advanced Display Settings, no second monitor is displayed, and one is not detected when I click "Detect". In addition, the Intel HD Graphics application does not show/detect any non-existent device.

It was also suggested that my D-Sub connector may be faulty and thinking that there is a second display when there is not, but connecting a second screen via that port and then playing/exiting a game results in the same issue.

I'm currently at a loss as to what the issue could be, so if anyone has any hints/tips as to what my next steps should be (or, of course, the answer), I'd be grateful for your assistance.

Thanks,
    David

dgard, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Parappa Win User

My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games

Black screen during game play and videos.

I recently installed my new GTX 1050 Ti and updated it with all the latest drivers from the Nvidia website but for some reason my monitor keeps black screening whenever I start up a game or go to watch a video on Youtube.

It's not too bad with the videos as it happens for about 1-2 seconds and may only occur a few times before stopping.

But I'm playing Rome Total War right now and the black screening just won't stop. It will either happen once every 10-20 seconds, or spam me completely so I am seeing more black screen than the actual game.

Parappa, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games

1. My screens turn black and then back to normal after several seconds when playing games - Similar Threads - screens turn black

2. Black Screen of Death when playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen of Death when playing games: Hello, I need some help after it happens for months and I still haven't found a proper fix for it yet.So when I play some certain games, the game will freeze after a while and the monitor will lost the connection and turned on Power Saving Mode, sometimes the pc will restart...
  3. Black Screen of Death when playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen of Death when playing games: Hello, I need some help after it happens for months and I still haven't found a proper fix for it yet.So when I play some certain games, the game will freeze after a while and the monitor will lost the connection and turned on Power Saving Mode, sometimes the pc will restart...
  4. My screen goes black for a couple seconds then turns back on then back too black while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen goes black for a couple seconds then turns back on then back too black while...: When I restart my computer and the first thing I do is open a game, it works seemlessly for the entire time I decide too play, then for instance I will open up another game and suddenly my screen turns black for 2 seconds then it shows the game/app for a second, repeating...
  5. My screen goes black for a couple seconds then turns back on then back too black while...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screen goes black for a couple seconds then turns back on then back too black while...: When I restart my computer and the first thing I do is open a game, it works seemlessly for the entire time I decide too play, then for instance I will open up another game and suddenly my screen turns black for 2 seconds then it shows the game/app for a second, repeating...
  6. screen going black when playing games

screen going black when playing games: screen keeps going black playing games roblox,minecraft,valorant ive asked this before an d got no help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-going-black-when-playing-games/2d1976c0-7fe0-45ba-8a8b-8911f2df4db8
  7. Black screen and comes back after few seconds

Black screen and comes back after few seconds: Hello,It started happening today. What I already tried?Enter in safe mode, uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and make a clean install of the latest version 466.77 I was running either 466.47 or 466.63.sfc /scannowdism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthWhen I was installing the...
  8. Black screen appear when playing game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen appear when playing game: When I play Minecraft, Horizon Zero Dawn,... I tested all of my games. Like 20 games But they all have the same issue, black screen. Back to 2 days ago, I received an update for Windows 10 Pro. My PC still fine. I got GTX 1060 6GB VRAM, up-to-dated. I updated all of my...
  9. Screen Freezes turns to black screen then back to normal display issue

Screen Freezes turns to black screen then back to normal display issue: Good day, Im not sure if this can be considered a BSOD issue, but hear me out. Im using Win10 Ver 1809 ive been experiencing this quite often these days. My screen freezes turns to black screen then back to normal. Its weird coz I play a lot of games but this happens...
  10. Screen turns black after 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen turns black after 30 seconds: I use a laptop in a docking station with two screens connected - it has worked well for one year. Suddenly, and as I remember, right after accepting a systems update, screen 1 turns black, looses connection to the computer approx 30 seconds after I have turned on the...