Windows 10: my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore

Discus and support my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; my volume buttons quit working f1 through f3 i have tried everything. they say to update hd driver but that doesn't even show in my device manage.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ginagray, Apr 5, 2023.

1. ginagray Win User

my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore

my volume buttons quit working f1 through f3 i have tried everything. they say to update hd driver but that doesn't even show in my device manage. there are 4 things there to update: intel sound technology for bluetooth, digital microphones and usb audio but no hd sound. all those drivers say up to date, i want these buttons to work please help!

:)

ginagray, Apr 5, 2023
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Volume connected with f1- can't get it to work

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, we would like to know the details requested below:

• When you say, “the volume wont work its connected to the f1 key” are you not able to get sound on your computer?
    • Which update was installed on the computer? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Ideally, the F1 key is used as the help key in most of the programs. It opens a help screen when the F1 key is pressed.

Meanwhile, you may want to try the steps mentioned below:

If you are trying to use the F1 key to control volume on the computer, you may want to press
    Fn key + F1 and see if that helps.

However, if you do not get sound on your computer, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 5, 2023
  3. volume control error

Hi Akash,

The issue with volume control could have happened due to the corrupted or outdated driver. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the 2 methods below:

Method 1: Run the Audio Troubleshooter on the system.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. We would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key+X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view as an option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2. Uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on Uninstall.
    • Install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know the result for us to assist you further.

Anthony Gal, Apr 5, 2023
  4. my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore

my front volume control button is diconnected

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties of not being able to get the Volume control button. To have clarity on this issue, we want some information.

• What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes that happen before the issue occurred, like Windows Updates or any driver update?

However, you can also try these steps and check if you are able to get the front Volume Control button.

Method 1: Windows Settings.

1. Click on Windows icon and open
      Settings
    2. Please go to Systems. Click on
      Notifications & actions
      from the left pane.
    3. Then from the right side, click on Turn system icon on or off.
    4. Toggle the button next to Volume to turn it On.

Method 2: Restarting file Explorer.

1. Right click anywhere on the
      taskbar. Open Task Manager.
    2. Right click on
      explorer.exe
      and click on End Task.
    3. Then click on File and select Run new task.
    4. Type explorer.exe and click OK.

Method 3: Group Policy Editor (for Windows 10 Pro)

1. Press Windows + R key from the keyboard, type gpedit.msc and click Ok.
    2. Expand Administrative Templates under
      User Configuration.
    3. Then click on Start Menu and Taskbar. From the right pane, click on
      Remove the volume control icon.
    4. Check that the setting is Not Configured or Disabled.
      Click OK.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 5, 2023
Thema:

my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore

1. my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore - Similar Threads - sound buttons control

2. Volume Keys on f1-3 keep acting as ingame controls for video games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Keys on f1-3 keep acting as ingame controls for video games: Hello i have an issue when i play certain games and i wanna adjust my volume using the f1-3 keys it uses certain features of the game like sending quick messages into the chat and/or moving my character in game and i couldnt find anywhere if theres a way to stop this from...
  3. Volume Keys on f1-3 keep acting as ingame controls for video games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Keys on f1-3 keep acting as ingame controls for video games: Hello i have an issue when i play certain games and i wanna adjust my volume using the f1-3 keys it uses certain features of the game like sending quick messages into the chat and/or moving my character in game and i couldnt find anywhere if theres a way to stop this from...
  4. my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my sound buttons f1, 2, and 3 will not control the volume anymore: my volume buttons quit working f1 through f3 i have tried everything. they say to update hd driver but that doesn't even show in my device manage. there are 4 things there to update: intel sound technology for bluetooth, digital microphones and usb audio but no hd sound. all...
  5. Identical Windows 10 volume 3 buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Identical Windows 10 volume 3 buttons: There are 2 Windows 10 volume 3 buttons that are the same and if I click any of them, it restarts my laptop and brings me to the same page, and whenever I do different options it says I don't have administator accounts and when I restart it brings me to the identical Windows...
  6. Identical Windows 10 volume 3 buttons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Identical Windows 10 volume 3 buttons: There are 2 Windows 10 volume 3 buttons that are the same and if I click any of them, it restarts my laptop and brings me to the same page, and whenever I do different options it says I don't have administator accounts and when I restart it brings me to the identical Windows...
  7. Identical Windows 10 volume 3 buttons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. My function keys are not working such as f7 f8 f9 f1 2 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My function keys are not working such as f7 f8 f9 f1 2 3: my function keys are not working such as f7 f8 f9 f1 2 3 * Moved from Garage * Original title: keyboard * OS not specified https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-function-keys-are-not-working-such-as-f7-f8-f9/a1e06328-111a-4db7-9877-099f4fe6a0f2
  9. my front volume control button is diconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my front volume control button is diconnected: my front volume control button is disconnected how do I connect it again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-front-volume-control-button-is-diconnected/b52397ef-c4d2-4d4d-87f1-981a95ae15e4
  10. Volume 2 volume control

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume 2 volume control: How can I eliminate the screen that pops up late in the boot process, asking for permission to make changes to my system? Thanks, **** Herald https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-2-volume-control/875c84d6-3e38-4a5b-ab5b-fa0e608b85ae