Windows 10: My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable...

Discus and support My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I remove the SSD, it boots only into bios (sysbios?) and says there is no operating system installed. This means that the SSD is somehow still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/adonis8, Jan 2, 2020.

1. My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable...

When I remove the SSD, it boots only into bios (sysbios?) and says there is no operating system installed. This means that the SSD is somehow still viewed as the master. But I want to remove the SSD entirely because when I use system diagnostics to check the SSD, it always freezes at 98%, which I assume means it is beginning to fail.

What to do? I want to remove the SSD entirely and just have my current W10 boot from the HDD.

submitted by /u/adonis8
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/adonis8, Jan 2, 2020

2. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from Download Windows 10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Jan 2, 2020
  3. SSD not recognized as bootable option

Hi, I am facing some issues with Windows installation in my new SSD. It is a Kingston A400 with 120Gb. First, I tried to make a clone from my HDD to the SSD, but it was not recognized as bootable. Then, I installed windows from a pen drive with the HDD also
    installed (I did not know it is not recommended). It also did not work. Then, I formatted the SSD and installed windows again without the HDD and with the SSD in the motherboard, not in the caddy. This time it kind of worked, because the bootmanager asks me
    to choose one of the windows options. However, in Bios it is not shown as bootable and when I choose the new windows there's an error: 0xc00000e, the winload.efi does not exist. I can still start windows from the HDD and I even did a system restore, but it
    did not help. I have also played around with bcdboot, bcdedit, bootrec but none of them helped. In fact, bootrec commands return "the file specified could not be found". The automatic startup repair says it cannot fix it and the Kingston SSD Manager tool does
    not recognize the SSD as well. However, I can copy and install things on it while in windows. All the BIOS parameters are correct, AHCI, fastboot off, secure boot off and so on. I am desperate, please help!

Henrique Stefano, Jan 2, 2020
  4. My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable...

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable...

1. My SSD is failing so tried to move W10 from SSD to HDD. Somehow wound up with 2 bootable... - Similar Threads - SSD failing tried

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Move my OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move my OS from HDD to SSD: If I move my OS to my SSD from my HDD, whether I decide to clone the hard drive or do a clean Reinstall, will it still recognize my desktop? like will all of my applications still be installed and will all of my games be installed along with all of my save files and/or memory...
  4. Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move only Windows from HDD to M.2 SSD: Hey everyone. I recently bought an M.2 SSD to use alongside my older HDD. My plan was to have the games I play the most and Windows on the M.2 and all the other stuff on the HDD. I have already moved some games to the M.2. But I'm not sure how to only move Windows without...
  5. Moving my OS from HDD to SSD

Moving my OS from HDD to SSD: Hey guys, Doing a massive overhaul of my computer and finally moving my OS to my HDD to SSD. New everything, the only things I am keeping is my power supply and HDD. I read that to do it without wiping, I'd need a cloning tool. However, I don't care enough about that. All...
  6. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  7. Move my os from a HDD into a SSD

Move my os from a HDD into a SSD: Greetings. What's the best FREE tool/method to simply move the os from a 1tb HDD into a 120gb SSD? I don't need to save personal files or anything since the HDD will remain as a secondary drive. But almost every single guide I found is suggesting using a paid software (like...
  8. Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing

Moving Windows 10 from SSD to HDD due to SSD failing: Can someone help, My SSD has windows 10 on it, however due to the size of it (128GB) it's limited. I have purchased another SSD but due to my HP Omen Laptop having a digital license and no key visible, I would like my OS to be stored on my 1TB HDD which is already installed...
  9. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...
  10. Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD

Moving Win10 from a failing HDD to a SSD: I have a friend whose IDE hard drive is failing. He wants to replace it with a SSD. The cloning process won't work because of the drive (clicking). How can he get his Windows 10 moved?...