Windows 10: My SSD is slowly losing storage

Discus and support My SSD is slowly losing storage in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Yesterday i noticed that my ssd was losing storage slowly today it went down a whole gigabyte and i didnt install or update anything. I do have system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sean_Owe, Aug 24, 2020.

1. My SSD is slowly losing storage

Yesterday i noticed that my ssd was losing storage slowly today it went down a whole gigabyte and i didnt install or update anything. I do have system restore enabled but i limited it to 4 gb usage. idk what else to say because i dont know what the issue is and i'm afraid its just gonna keep going lower for no reason. please help!

submitted by /u/Sean_Owe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sean_Owe, Aug 24, 2020
  2. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Aug 24, 2020
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Aug 24, 2020
  4. brify Win User

My SSD is slowly losing storage

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Hi

I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage (I have 1TB cloud storage with 365) and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred
    any data from my old pc yet.

I now wish to setup the pc to have the operating system and program files on the SSD as they are currently and all my Files/Pictures/Music etc on the HDD but I am unsure of the correct procedures and order in which to carry them out. I also want to
    continue using OneDrive for backup and file access from other devices.

I am aware of the following:

• The OneDrive folder is currently on the SSD and is backing up the default Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I wish to move this folder to the HDD but I am not when to do this, looking at the steps below, to prevent any sync issues
    • I know I can move my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to the HDD by changing the location of these from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), leaving the User/Username folder on C:
    • I have also noticed that in Settings/System/Storage I can 'change the location where new content is saved' for these folders, what is the difference between this and moving the location of the folders as detailed above.

Can anyone advise on the best/correct method of setting my system up going forward?

Thanks

brify, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

My SSD is slowly losing storage

1. My SSD is slowly losing storage - Similar Threads - SSD slowly losing

2. My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space: My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space i got a glimpse of it happening from 88,2 GB free of 216 GB to 83,2 GB free of 216 GB, is it normal for it to happend because the screen become black twice when it happend only showing my cursor after reaching 83,2 GB free it stop....
  3. My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space: My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space i got a glimpse of it happening from 88,2 GB free of 216 GB to 83,2 GB free of 216 GB, is it normal for it to happend because the screen become black twice when it happend only showing my cursor after reaching 83,2 GB free it stop....
  4. Losing storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing storage: my PC sometimes loses storage gigabytes by creating random .TMP files in %temp% is there anyway i can stop this?. whenever it is happeningand i delete the folders and files in %temp% and run a sfc /scannow it most of the timeshows Windows Resource Protection successfully...
  5. Losing storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Losing storage: my PC sometimes loses storage gigabytes by creating random .TMP files in %temp% is there anyway i can stop this?. whenever it is happeningand i delete the folders and files in %temp% and run a sfc /scannow it most of the timeshows Windows Resource Protection successfully...
  6. Losing storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Slowly Losing Driver Space on WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slowly Losing Driver Space on WINDOWS 10: Recently I've been slowly losing disc space on my WIN-10 C drive and I can't find a reason why. The last time I checked which was about 2 days ago, I had 38/237 GB, but now it's 17.4 and slowly going down 17.3, 17.2, 17.1, etc. I've tried removing apps/folders that are no...
  8. Slowly Losing Driver Space on WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Slowly Losing Driver Space on WINDOWS 10: Recently I've been slowly losing disc space on my WIN-10 C drive and I can't find a reason why. The last time I checked which was about 2 days ago, I had 38/237 GB, but now it's 17.4 and slowly going down 17.3, 17.2, 17.1, etc. I've tried removing apps/folders that are no...
  9. SSD running very slowly ...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD running very slowly ...: Good p.m. I have an Intel NUC mini computer with an HP SSD S700 500GB solid state drive running Windows 10. When I check the "Driver Fine Details" is shows the SSD driver provider to be Microsoft. I recently installed the version 20H2 update. I am streaming video, buffering...
  10. Why did my ssd just lose 40+ GB of storage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why did my ssd just lose 40+ GB of storage?: I just installed rainbow six siege on my d drive which is my hard drive. then the game acted like it needed to update and without even updating I lost 40gb of storage and have no clue what happened. I uninstalled the game and the 40gb are still gone please help! submitted by...