Windows 10: My Start button and Task Bar do not respond

Discus and support My Start button and Task Bar do not respond in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Any suggestions /obviously cannot add question mark... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wendy Townsend_987, May 18, 2019.

1. My Start button and Task Bar do not respond

Any suggestions /obviously cannot add question mark

:)

Wendy Townsend_987, May 18, 2019

2. task bar not responding

Hi,

There are several possible reasons why the task bar is not working as expected. One of them may be caused by a corrupted user profile. In your case, we'd like to ask for additional information to help us determine the appropriate steps to solve the issue.
    Please answer the following:

• Have you made any recent changes or installed updates before the task bar stopped responding?
    • Was the task bar working after you have created the user profile?
    • Have you checked if the issue also exists with the other user profiles?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can follow the steps in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, May 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Start button, task bar menu and swipe does not work

Dear Arun B J,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. But unfortunately this has not helped. Let me give you some more information on this.

I had tried all the remedies that you can find when you type in "Windows 10 start button is not working' in bing or google... ie. powershell.. safe boot etc.. non of them worked and then I wrote to the window community.

I have tried all the steps you have told me to do, but it has not helped me as the start button still does not work. also the window store icon and mail icon in the task bar is also invisible and only when I put the cursor on those it only shows the name
    i.e store or Mail. They are also not working when click them.

I am really in trouble as I can not use the start button as I should be able to.

PLEASE HELP... When would Microsoft have an remedy for this....

Thanks

Partha

ParthaHShaikh, May 18, 2019
  4. My Start button and Task Bar do not respond

Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 18, 2019
Thema:

My Start button and Task Bar do not respond

1. My Start button and Task Bar do not respond - Similar Threads - Start button Task

2. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding: Whenever I try clicking the window start, it won't open, same with the search bar and task bar. I try opening settings and it is also not responding after trying various methods....
  3. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding: Whenever I try clicking the window start, it won't open, same with the search bar and task bar. I try opening settings and it is also not responding after trying various methods....
  4. Windows start, search bar, or task bar not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. task bar not responding

task bar not responding: I click on the apps in the task bar and nothing happens at all. I tried to remove all the apps and pin it again and it is still the same. No changes made to the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-not-responding/57e926ae-5fe3-4995-8104-9644e4fcfcfb
  6. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  7. Task Bar & Start Button

Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  8. START button on the task bar is not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    START button on the task bar is not working.: This happened this evening. No updates were running in background. I was surfing internet on Microsoft Edge and then suddenly found that Windows START button was not responding. All other buttons of the taskbar are responding as it is. I did a restart but that didn't help...
  9. Task Bar & Start Button Probs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Bar & Start Button Probs: I can no longer see my log in page and am having a black screen to log in. When my screen desktop comes up, the search bar doesn't work and neither does the start button. I am using surface pro & windows 10 but I cannot find any windows files. Can anyone help in plain...
  10. Start button + task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button + task bar not working: Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive. I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a...