Windows 10: my start button wont work

Discus and support my start button wont work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; my start button wont work, i cannot restart my computer and even from the sign on screen the only option i ave it to shut down. my icons are still on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andrea23, Jan 27, 2016.

1. andrea23 Win User

my start button wont work

my start button wont work, i cannot restart my computer and even from the sign on screen the only option i ave it to shut down. my icons are still on the taskbar but i cannot view them and when i open my browsers its deleting my last sessions even when i have them saved to appear each time i open the browser. my time and date is gone as well as any viable option to get to my drivers and computer settings. the only thing ive been able to get to is the actio of using the windows button and pressing r but each seach i get an error message that anything i type cant be found. help!

:)

andrea23, Jan 27, 2016

2. Start button wont work

start and keyboard buttons not working onwindows 10 dell

start and keyboard buttons not working onwindows 10 dell
    start and keyboard buttons not working have not got command admin on panel

MaureenLovelock, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Start button wont work

Hello Frances,

Some problems can be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in.

To do so, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
    and select Sign out. Once you’ve signed out, sign back in to your account and check.

if the issue persist, follow the below steps:

Step 1:
    Check for updates.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter ms-settings: and then press
      OK. This opens Settings.
    • In Settings, go to Update & security > Windows Update, and then select
      Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Step 2: If you are still facing the issue, try creating a new local administrator account and check if it helps.

• Press Windows logo key +R, type ms-settings:, and then press
      OK. This opens Settings.

• Select Accounts > Your account >
      Family & other users (or Other users, if you’re using Windows 10 Enterprise).

• Under Other users, select
      Add someone else to this PC

• Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and then select
      Add a user without a Microsoft account.

• Set a user name, password, and password hint. Then select
      Next > Finish.

Next, make the new account an administrator account.
    • Under Other users, choose the account you created, and then select
      Change account type.
    • Under Account type, choose Administrator, and then select
      OK.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jan 27, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Just for starters, Hold the windows key down and press the X key. See if you get a menu that should have several options as well as the option to shut down or restart. See if that will work and let me know. If it does, select command prompt (Admin) and copy/paste this into the window. sfc /scannow. If it says errors were found, reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times before getting the 'Windows found no integrity violations', which is what you want it to say. Let me know how it goes, and welcome to Tenforums.

essenbe, Jan 27, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    Create a new user and see if it helps.

Whatphoeb, Jan 27, 2016
  6. andrea23 Win User
    Thank you I got it resolved on accident. After powering on and off multiple times I had access again to the start menu. I was told it's an issue on Windows 10. I will remember those suggestions if it happens again.

andrea23, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. my start button wont work - Similar Threads - start button wont

2. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute button wont work: So no matter how I google or search in my computers settings, I cant find anything that has fixed my issue. My mute is off and when I voice call someone they cant hear me at all- I have a HP windows 10, and it has a mute button that shows its turned off with a red little...
  3. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute button wont work: So no matter how I google or search in my computers settings, I cant find anything that has fixed my issue. My mute is off and when I voice call someone they cant hear me at all- I have a HP windows 10, and it has a mute button that shows its turned off with a red little...
  4. Mute button wont work

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. my start button wont work

my start button wont work: I need my start button to work. I need help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-button-wont-work/9c2c8deb-8928-4afe-b939-f4ee915b48b8
  6. Start button wont work after recent update

Start button wont work after recent update: Did the update to 1909?? this week and since then 1 had problems launching from taskbar and 2 the start button on the left changes colour when overhovered but doesnt do anything so I cant get to the apps etc. Help!...
  7. start button not working

start button not working: start button stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/8227ba9a-2479-489f-b5bb-9d7c5237bb7a
  8. Start button wont open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start button wont open: Cant open start icon cant open explorer cant open PFD files I have 22 new updates cant access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-wont-open/2d1e7a2c-b002-4f6d-afda-27f3a2c3bd7e
  9. Start menu buttons wont launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu buttons wont launch: So today my computer stopped running the apps in the start menu. I have reset a few times and nothing helped. Are my drivers out of date or is there a new update i need. Also the HP support assist says i have an update to need to install but when i install it nothing happens...
  10. Start Button Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working?: What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working? 48746