Windows 10: My start menu is "broken"

Discus and support My start menu is "broken" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi I've had this problem recently, when I try to search some applications for example Netflix or calculator the icon doesn't show. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Molcap, Dec 11, 2020.

1. /u/Molcap Win User

My start menu is "broken"

My start menu is "broken" sStZ-ilE-vNXDIaCwWUKAtpkUsCj4Nku_fXa4w6TB9A.jpg

Hi

I've had this problem recently, when I try to search some applications for example Netflix or calculator the icon doesn't show.

My second problem is that I uninstalled Office 2016 to install Office 365, but every time I search for an office app it always show the 2016 version (and of course it doesn't open anything).

My windows version is 2004 (Should I update to 20H2? people had told me to not rush on windows updates)

Thanks in advance.

https://preview.redd.it/3n7n95o8xk4...bp&s=4fab0c59437cd341cdfde12a1bf9815f277f29ae

https://preview.redd.it/ri0568o8xk4...bp&s=58f6ebf59ea1ac74f3f57d07f1d82c5c1279327f

submitted by /u/Molcap
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Molcap, Dec 11, 2020
  2. CLopez123 Win User

Broken/Duplicate Item in Start Menu

Okay, I ran both commands, and the broken Netflix start menu item was still there, so I restarted my computer and it was still there. I made sure the spacing was right and they seemed to have run properly, I just forgot to take a screenshot as proof before
    I closed the Command Prompt.

CLopez123, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Louie Del Win User
    Broken/Duplicate Item in Start Menu

Hi,

The duplicate icon that's appearing in the Start Menu may be due to broken system components or file corruptions. Let's try resolving this concern by running the
    System File Checker tool. This will scan and restore any corrupted system files. To do this, here are the steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the Search box from the taskbar.
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/").
    • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

We’ll wait for your update after trying the steps provided.

Louie Del, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Dims Win User

Start Menu is broken after installing Windows 10

After installing Windows 10, my Start Menu got totally broken.

Most of the programs and absent in it now. They can't be found neither by search, nor by step-by-step navigation.

Some of programs are substituted for another versions.

Simultaneously, the Start Menu folder is Ok in filesystem.

So my entire Start Menu is useless now.

To run any program, I am opening Far Manager (file manager), opening Start Menu folder in it and doing search for appropriate *.lnk file.

I.e. I am doing by hand what Windows should do with it's Start Menu feature.

*.lnk files are working fine.

Various aspects of the problem were discussed in questions:

Where are ALL locations of Start Menu folders in Windows 10?

How to fix / refresh start menu in Windows 10? How to add / remove / edit items in bulk?

Can't find applications anymore in Windows 10

So, please don't suggest primitive solutions, covered there?

Thema:

1. My start menu is "broken" - Similar Threads - start menu broken

2. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  3. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  4. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu broken shortcut

Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  6. Start Menu is broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu is broken: So I booted into Windows 10 because I need to write a PowerShell script and my Start Menu just broke itself. It worked perfectly fine, I rebooted and since then it's not been showing up at all when clicking at the Start button or pressing the Windows key. I have not installed...
  7. Is my start menu broken?

Is my start menu broken?: [ATTACH] Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install. I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag...
  8. Broken start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken start menu: Can anyone help me fix my start menuwhich wont appear when clicked on? It appears briefly then disappears. Version 1909 OS Build 18363.693 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-start-menu/7e7f3f8d-3288-4899-9d25-a3ee5d9f0e4c
  9. Start menu broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu broken: I have gaps where icons should be but I cant move/rearrange many of the icons. I also cant create a new group submitted by /u/mallorcaben [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ez6g66/start_menu_broken/
  10. Broken item in Start Menu

Broken item in Start Menu: Hi Please could someone assist me with removing the following item in my Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-item-in-start-menu/7aa56942-3cde-49d1-a75a-38afb23a89f1