Windows 10: My start menu opens spontaneously

Discus and support My start menu opens spontaneously in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have this issue on two Windows 10 machines. One is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd gen, I think, and the other is a desktop that I built myself. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 123Forman, May 31, 2020.

1. 123Forman Win User

My start menu opens spontaneously

I have this issue on two Windows 10 machines. One is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd gen, I think, and the other is a desktop that I built myself. On both machines it can happen when my hands are away from the keyboard, mouse, and trackpad. This is especially annoying when I am playing full screen games with friends.

I have had this problem for at least three years, but recently, on a few occasions it has gotten to be more of a nuisance.

Thanks for any advice on this issue. I had read through posts of people having the same issue and tried to follow suggestions, but I would like to avoid reformatting my machines. In any case, this can't be entirely caused by manufacturer software as it has been for some Asus users, as one of my computers is a home build.

:)

123Forman, May 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, May 31, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 31, 2020
  4. My start menu opens spontaneously

Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, May 31, 2020
Thema:

My start menu opens spontaneously

1. My start menu opens spontaneously - Similar Threads - start menu opens

2. My start menu keeps opening randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My start menu keeps opening randomly: While I'm using my laptop the start menu just opens randomly even when I'm not even touching my laptop and nothing I've tried to fix it is working. Is there anything that would work to fix it?...
  3. My start menu keeps opening randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My start menu keeps opening randomly: While I'm using my laptop the start menu just opens randomly even when I'm not even touching my laptop and nothing I've tried to fix it is working. Is there anything that would work to fix it?...
  4. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  5. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  6. Start menu starts opening randomly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu starts opening randomly.: Hi! I have a windows tablet with broken touch that goes crazy sometimes, so i have disabled it. When im using tablet the start menu opens randomly sometimes. Is there a fix? submitted by /u/vukasin123king [link] [comments]...
  7. Start Menu Appearance On Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Appearance On Open: Hello everyone. I've loved this sight and its Windows 7 counterpart for long time. Thank you for all the work you do and for the information you provide. My question is can I make the Start Menu open up like what is shown in the image below, instead of the long list of...
  8. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  9. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  10. Cannot open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open start menu: Hello, I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked perfectly. Then I wanted to upgrade the build, however due to the relocated User directory, the update failed. So I edited the...