Windows 10: "My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories.

Discus and support "My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Code: Windows 10 Anniversary[/quote] When i search, my PC looks like this: [img] It used to look like this: [img] I used to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BrooklynBrawler, Aug 8, 2016.

1. "My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories.

Code: Windows 10 Anniversary[/quote] When i search, my PC looks like this:

"My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories. [​IMG]

It used to look like this:

"My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories. [​IMG]

I used to be able to turn Cortana off and then back on, and "My Stuff" would return, but that's not working anymore

I have no idea why it's only showing 3 categories now. I can click "More", but there's plenty of space there. It's annoying that it takes an extra click now

I've tried to create a new user and it looks the same on new user accounts.

I've deleted and rebuilt my search index. No change

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

:)

BrooklynBrawler, Aug 8, 2016

2. Option to search My stuff in Cortana missing

how do I restore the "my stuff" option in Cortana

JoshuaSiderowitz, Aug 8, 2016
  3. Missing Search Functionality in Addressbook for "Company"

The problem also extends to the Conversations app. Company field is not searched when filling in names. Hopefully the functionality will be added at PR1.2.

travla---01, Aug 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

"My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories.

So MS changed things. They changed the start menu. They actually fixed some bugs too.

Under 'More' I have 9 categories.

If you're serious about searching your files and folders, use
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (void tools)
    Locate32
    e.g. (freeware)

All very quickly index your NTFS disks, and provide 'instant' results.
    Ultrasearch probably has the most GUI options. Everything v1.4 beta has only just added GUI search limits.

Cortana search on files/folders only finds indexed items; it won't find executables (exe, cmd, bat...)

dalchina, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Oh, I didn't know this was expected behavior. I thought something was wrong because "My Stuff" used to disappear sometimes in the past, but I could get it back by turning Cortana off and then back on. It seems like a step backwards, but i guess Windows has been known to do that.

Thanks

and Thanks for those suggestions, i'll check them out

BrooklynBrawler, Aug 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Agree about My Stuff behaviour - seems MS has made it vanish permanently.
    However I haven't yet found any reference to such a change in published articles. I have noted one or two people having noted it's missing.
    But then, it seems MS doesn't publish change logs with updates now.
    Equally none of the articles I've seen mention things they have fixed.

dalchina, Aug 8, 2016
  7. I don't think it is MS changing things.. the same thing happened to me after I used Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable a bunch of privacy settings including Cortana.. the "My Stuff" disappeared after that. I did notice that if I log in to the Guest account or create a new Windows user, the "My Stuff" option is back on the Search... so it's got to be a setting in Cortana.. Maybe the fact that I disabled it broke something.. I enabled it back, but "My Stuff" is still missing.

macster2075, Aug 9, 2016
  8. "My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories.

Hello everyone,
    Long time reader/first time poster, here.
    Just wanted to chime in on the discussion as i've upgraded to the anniversary release yesterday and i'm also having issues with the search function.
    Basically as OP said, whatever i search for, unless i select a specific filter (Photos, Documents, etc...), only web results are shown instead of personal content. I've tried this with Education edition too, which is deprived completely of the Cortana functionality and i get the same behaviour, so i can say it's not a Cortana-related issue.
    This doesn't seem to be intended behaviour either though, as two of the available filters are "ALL" (which is what used to show, you guessed it, results from all kinds of file types before the Anniversary Update) and "WEB", which, incidentally, end up displaying exactly the same results, because the ALL filter, which is supposed to be default to be displayed, seems like it's not working at all!
    Say i have indexed both a dog.jpg and dog.docx file, if i search for "dog" from the start menu, i only get web results (if web results are disabled, i just get "nothing found"), if i click on Photos i get dog.jpg, if i click on Documents i get dog.docx, if i click again on ALL, i get, once again, only web results.
    What's the point of having an ALL filter if it only displays web results anyway? -_-'

losttoapathy, Aug 9, 2016
  9. Yes..exactly.. selecting ALL, does not come up with any results at all...same thing here.

macster2075, Aug 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    If I type *.rtf in the search box, Cortana (All) offers results under headings
    Best Match, Documents, Folders, Web, Can I help?
    If I select documents, I get a list of found items. But oddly, also the dreaded message "The search results are not quite ready yet..." (but indexing- default settings- is complete).
    I do not have the message 'Some settings are managed by your organisation...' in Settings, and search Settings works.

I see no 'My Stuff' option.. and I've not seen this since the anniversary upgrade.

If I try (All)
    *.docx

I get only Best Match and Web settings.

Why is this different? I don't have any *.docx files indexed.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  11. Yes, the "My stuff" button seems to be (more or less officially) gone with the anniversary update, but user profile folders are indexed by default so anything in there will be indexed unless otherwise manually specified.
    I hadn't tried a wildcard search like *.docx until now, but following dalchina suggestion and i tried and i can reproduce exactly his results:
    Doing a wildcard search only brings up ONE best result, unless I click on a filter, then i get a list of a few results for that type of file and also the "results not ready blah blah" message, although indexing has been completed a long time ago (and if i search from a windows explorer window everything turns up just fine)
    Also searching for system settings or components (Settings, Control Panel, Indexing, Printers, etc...) works just fine. It's only the personal results that seem to be problematic.

losttoapathy, Aug 9, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Oddly if I search for *.txt and click 'documents', I don't see "The search results are not quite ready yet..." but I do if I try *.rtf.
    Now that is odd.

Note Cortana search won't find executables, and only indexed items.
    Want proper really really fast search you don't have to worry about? A tool like Ultrasearch. Free. Searches all your disks/partitions. A good number of people have come to that conclusion.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  13. Gekko Win User

I have same problem my stuff disappeared. I am in a region that does not support Cortana and now i cant search my laptop this is a serious problem for me and I have no idea why it just stopped showing "my stuff" and now gives just a few results and no option to explore deeper into the system. Has anybody got a fix for this or is there another way of searching all files

Gekko, Aug 10, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Search is still there. Or should be. It's just the legend 'My Stuff' that seems to have vanished by design with the upgrade. So don't expect a fix for that. Several are very confused by this.
    Cortana's limited file search works for me.

You can also search for files by launching explorer and using its search box.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "My Stuff" button missing in search + missing search categories. - Similar Threads - Stuff button missing

2. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Highlights icon on search bar missing: Hello to all,I've been having issues with my search bar icon and Bing highlights. After an update on my laptop, which was stuck in 100% and could not move, I turned on and off my laptop to "prevent" the update from taking a long time and not wanting to proceed. On the next...
  3. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Highlights icon on search bar missing: Hello to all,I've been having issues with my search bar icon and Bing highlights. After an update on my laptop, which was stuck in 100% and could not move, I turned on and off my laptop to "prevent" the update from taking a long time and not wanting to proceed. On the next...
  4. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. "Search" task missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search" task missing: At about 6PM yesterday my PC started running poorly/slowly due to some weird issue, however I figured out a fix, but even though I fixed the other problems, I am unable to open my search bar, when I click on it a black box will appear, then disappear after 2 seconds. And I...
  6. "Search" task missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Search" task missing: At about 6PM yesterday my PC started running poorly/slowly due to some weird issue, however I figured out a fix, but even though I fixed the other problems, I am unable to open my search bar, when I click on it a black box will appear, then disappear after 2 seconds. And I...
  7. "Search" task missing

in Cortana
  8. Search is missing

in Cortana
    Search is missing: Microsoft search does not work: The magnifying glass is in the task bar, but clicking on it does not have any effect. SearchUI is not running in task manager. The PC is updated but search seems to be missing entirely. What can I do to reinstall it?...
  9. search window missing

in Cortana
    search window missing: windows 10 Cannot locate search window, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-window-missing/8cdc1610-c7e7-4046-b074-5eb178b456b5"
  10. Missing win logo start button next to search.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing win logo start button next to search.: I have only one issue after four upgrades of windows 10 on four different computers. On one of my computers the windows logo start button is missing. It is probably an easy fix but I have not found it yet. The windows logo on my keyboard performs the same function, but it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. where is the my stuff button