Windows 10: My Surface keyboard started typing random letters when I input one key

Discus and support My Surface keyboard started typing random letters when I input one key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since this morning, my surface keyboard is not working right. For example, when I type the letter a, what appears is apb When I type the number 1,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Javbitar, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Javbitar Win User

My Surface keyboard started typing random letters when I input one key

Since this morning, my surface keyboard is not working right.

For example, when I type the letter a, what appears is apb

When I type the number 1, what appears is x1

When I type the number 3, what appears is v3

When I type the letter p, what appears is pb

When I type the letter d, what appears is D=o]m

I have uninstalled the device manager for the keyboard, and four HID Keyboard device drivers appear, every time.

Can you help?

:)

Javbitar, Sep 23, 2020

2. Keyboard typing random letters

I am running Windows 10 build 18945 and random applications (most of them) are getting typed in random letters. I have found many things saying check your input language but i only have one that is English (US).

And the random letter a key will type is not always the same. I can hold down 'a' for instance and it'll type a series of numbers and letters. So it is not consistent

Example, copy and pasted holding down 'a'

One of the only applications that correctly recognizes the input is Firefox

Pretty sure it isn't a hardware issue, because it is not in all applications.

This is an integrated keyboard in the Lenovo ThinkPad T430s

It also seems to be intermittent

EDIT If i remember right, this started around disabling credential and device guard (I can't use any emulator/virtualization with them on because the virtualization is then exclsuively used by Hyper-V, and i needed to run Intel HAXM)

linuxandria, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original
    English settings and nothing has changed. The odd thing is that it works on some programs and not others.

It works on:

Chrome, File Explorer, Internet Passwords, Steam, Spotify, iTunes

Doesn't work on:

Microsoft Settings, Cortana, Microsoft Store, OneNote, Sticky Notes, Calendar, Audible, Mail

The trend is that it doesn't work on most Microsoft Applications but it does on the other Apps

JonathanMerry, Sep 23, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

Surface Book with Windows 10 occasionally types random characters

Hi Jeffrey,

If the keyboard inputs a random characters when pressing a key, it could be cause by a defective hardware, or that the driver of your keyboard may have been damaged or outdated. For us to properly assist you in using your keyboard, kindly respond to the
    questions below:

• Did the issue occur recently? If yes, what changes were made before it started?
    • Does the issue persist when you use a USB keyboard?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? This is for us to know and avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. My Surface keyboard started typing random letters when I input one key - Similar Threads - Surface keyboard started

2. Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number...: Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number is perfectly working I have 60% keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-keyboard-inputting-random-letters-when-i/4fa47cd9-5cae-4edb-b059-ac8a56acd06b
  3. Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number...: Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number is perfectly working I have 60% keyboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-keyboard-inputting-random-letters-when-i/4fa47cd9-5cae-4edb-b059-ac8a56acd06b
  4. Why is my keyboard inputting random letters when I press certain letters? But I my number...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. random keyboard input without typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random keyboard input without typing: my Windows 11 computer either has a keyboard input issue due to recent windows update or is infected with malware that is causing a series of random characters to be entered whatever the active input field is.I cannot login and now even when I attempt to start in safe mode or...
  6. Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard typing random letters and numbers: Accidentally pressed something on my keyboard and now it types random letters and numbers whenever you press certain keys.Also on my lock screen so I can’t get to device manager from my keyboard Because I can’t type in my password. Please help...
  7. My keyboard starts typing random letters when I open large PDFs - random letters are in...

My keyboard starts typing random letters when I open large PDFs - random letters are in...: running windows 10 on a Dell Precision laptopWhen I have larger PDF docs open my keyboard appears to start typing random letters. After several times of this happening and rebooting to clear the issue, I've come to realize this only happens when I have a pdf documents open...
  8. Certain keys on my keyboard type random letters or perform random actions and I have no...

Certain keys on my keyboard type random letters or perform random actions and I have no...: Some of my keys are doing things theyre not supposed to. For instance, my backspace key types random letters or scrolls to the bottom of the page, my delete key types a random assortment of the characters [ ] - and 9. Space types random letters, k adds a semicolon and hits...
  9. Mouse locks up and keyboard randomly starts typing letters.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse locks up and keyboard randomly starts typing letters.: I've been having this issue where I'd type in a letter on the keyboard and it'd start typing randomly and with that the mouse pad doesn't work. I do not believe this is an issue with the hardware, it was working just fine and Windows doesn't detect any issues at all with the...
  10. Keyboard Typing Random Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Typing Random Letters: Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface keyboard adds letters

2. windows surface book keyboard thping letters and numbers at same time