Windows 10: My surface pro native display won’t turn on, but the external monitor works.

Discus and support My surface pro native display won’t turn on, but the external monitor works. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I tried going to the monitor settings, the whole area where you change monitor settings was gone. Also, if I swipe on the native display, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sanat123, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Sanat123 Win User

My surface pro native display won’t turn on, but the external monitor works.

When I tried going to the monitor settings, the whole area where you change monitor settings was gone. Also, if I swipe on the native display, the touchscreen seems to work, making it like a drawing tablet.

:)

Sanat123, Mar 28, 2021
  2. elle_cid Win User

When "Duplicate these Displays" is selected, external monitor displays upside down, but not the Surface Pro screen

After Windows 10 updates were automatically installed last night, my LG external monitor displays upside down when "Duplicate these displays" is selected under Display settings. With other options (Extend these displays, or Show only on 1, or Show only
    on 2) the external monitor shows the correct orientation. PC is Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Pro operating system. LG monitor is 34UM95-p 34" Ultrawide IPS Monitor. Ctrl-Alt-Up or -Down do not work. Drivers are up to date. Thanks in advance
    for help/suggestions.

elle_cid, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Jake_540 Win User
    Surface Pro 4 screen active when type cover closed and external monitor in use.

I have a Surface Pro 4 with a Surface Dock. I have an external monitor plugged into the dock.

When I turn on or restart the Surface Pro with the Type Cover closed, both the Surface display and the external monitor are activated. I then have to go into the Display settings to select "Show only on 2" to turn off the Surface display and achieve the
    correct resolution on the external monitor.

Is there any way I can get the Surface to realise when the Type Cover is closed and only display on an external monitor?

Jake_540, Mar 28, 2021
  4. bgardner Win User

External monitor connected to Surface Pro 4 via Surface dock not working after computer resumes from sleep

I have a Surface Pro 4 (running production Windows 10, Version 1511, Build 10586.164) connected to a Dell P2314T monitor (23" touch, P/N 0DWF2X, Rev A00) via the DisplayPort connector on a Surface Dock (the newer, brick style). When docked, my desktop is
    set to Extend across the Surface and external screens. This configuration works well until the Surface sleeps or turns off the display during inactivity. At that point, resuming work turns on the Surface display, but the external monitor is blank and the
    only way I can get it to resume working properly is to reboot. I've tried undocking/re-docking, disconnecting and reconnecting the DisplayPort cable, cycling through different "Project" modes (e.g. PC Screen / Duplicate / Extend / Second Screen) - nothing
    revives the external monitor. I notice that the Settings|System|Display
    dialog indicates that the external monitor is present, and that it properly cycles between the absence and presence of the external monitor when I undock and re-dock it (even though the external monitor remains blank).

This behavior did not occur when I first got the Surface and Dock. It broke somewhere along the way, but I'm not sure with which update (I had lots of problems applying KB3140768 that I eventually fixed, but that did not help). Any suggestions?

** UPDATE on 4/2/16: I believe that I have found the fix to my problem, which involved updating the Intel display driver. For more information, see my post dated April 2, 2016 (In reply to Skelett's post on March 4, 2016) at Surface Pro 4 - External display not recognised after sleep following 17th Feb 2016 updates

bgardner, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. My surface pro native display won’t turn on, but the external monitor works. - Similar Threads - surface pro native

2. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    surface pro 6 - two external monitors: I am using a surface pro 6 - connected to a docking station 2 - several years lately having trouble recognizing both monitors - many attempts and then successful - the last two days - only recognizing one external monitor - - notification - "display maybe limited" - happend...
  3. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    surface pro 6 - two external monitors: I am using a surface pro 6 - connected to a docking station 2 - several years lately having trouble recognizing both monitors - many attempts and then successful - the last two days - only recognizing one external monitor - - notification - "display maybe limited" - happend...
  4. surface pro 6 - two external monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't change brightness of my Work External Monitor. I have a Surface Pro.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change brightness of my Work External Monitor. I have a Surface Pro.: Hey everyone I just got a new external monitor from work, it looks like they just gave me any random monitor. It is a Dell P2210, but I have a Surface Pro, and I tried changing the brightness and nothing work, I tried updating drivers, nothing, changing the drivers, and still...
  6. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... Some specs: Dell Precision 7520 Laptop Windows 10 Pro Intel Core i7-7820HQ (4 Core), 2.9 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Turbo) 32 GB (2x 16 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram...
  7. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... The problem: I recently bought an external monitor (ACER KG271G Full HD 27" IPS LED Monitor). When connected to my laptop, the only display resolution...
  8. Monitor won’t connect to Surface Pro 3 overnight?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor won’t connect to Surface Pro 3 overnight?: Hey there, So last night I had my Acer monitor connected to my Surface Pro 3 through an HDMI to display port adapter and it was working perfectly fine. This morning when I went to go on my laptop the monitor is on but it says “No signal” I am currently updating my windows...
  9. External Display not working on Surface Pro 4 via mini display port

External Display not working on Surface Pro 4 via mini display port: I am running a mini display port adapter connected to an HDMI to HDMI wire from my surface pro 4 to a television. When I connect it, the screen on my surface pro 4 goes black as if making the connection and then it comes back on. The display settings on my surface is set to...
  10. Surface Display Dock not showing external monitor

Surface Display Dock not showing external monitor: Hi! So i have in my possession a Surface Display Dock which was originally use for Lumia Continuum. I'm plugging it into my Laptop (MSI, Core i7-8750H, GTX1650 Max-Q). The Dock has been detected and i can use the USB port on it for my Keyboard and mouse, The drivers are...