Windows 10: My system image backup also includes the data disk

Discus and support My system image backup also includes the data disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just made a system image backup and realize that both my static disk c: which contains the system and the large capacity disk which contains the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HenriACS, Oct 8, 2019.

1. HenriACS Win User

My system image backup also includes the data disk

I have just made a system image backup and realize that both my static disk c: which contains the system and the large capacity disk which contains the data have been saved.

This means that I will restore all my data, if I have an update problem and I will loose everything I have updated since then.

How did this happen ? How can I avoid it ?

Thanks

Henri

:)

HenriACS, Oct 8, 2019

2. Is My Understanding of Windows Bare Metal System / Images Backups vs. File Backups ... and Restores Correct?

So my understanding of it is like this, there are two types of backups, and they are Image Backups and Data / User File backups...

• Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Can be created with wbadim system state backup
        • Then if the Data / User File Backups are included in it, they can be removed by mounting the Image Backup, and removing the Data / User Files from it to save on space (see
          this
          )
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Excludes the Data / User File Back
        • Includes installed programs and OS system files.
        • On Windows, you'll probably also want to remove any temp files from the image such as:
          • pagefile.sys
          • hiberfil.sys
          • swapfile.sys
      • When?
        • It's best to make this after you have the machine setup the way that you want with the programs already installed on it, and after updates are installed, you'll want to back it up again...this isn't always possible, but it's likely the best time to do this.
    • Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Usually a full backup is created and then incrementals or differentials after that (and of course use a strategy like GFS)
      • When?
        • Run more frequently than image backups, these backups are scheduled and run when few people are using the system...
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Only includes the data /user files, and it does not include any of the system files and program files like the Image Backup.
    Then when you need to do disaster recovery, you restore the Image Backup first, and then when it's been recovered you add back in the
    Data / User File Backups to the system.

I know that the Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
    can be removed from the xvhd file back created in the system state backup to decrease it's size by mounting it and deleting said files
    . But I'd like to know if I first restore the
    Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups), and then restore my Data / User File Backups will I still be able to use the machine as it was when I did the backups?

Is my understanding of this correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thank you,

Andrew J. Leer

Andrew Leer, Oct 8, 2019
  3. System Image Backup Fails on Windows 10 - Error codes 0x80070002, 0x807800C5, 0x80780081, 0x8078004F

I had similar issues making a system restore image backup and was able to get it to run successfully after doing the below steps.

The issue I encountered was due to the backup drive having an EFI partition. The drive used to be used on a Mac system and was formatted originally for HFS+. When I looked at the drive in Windows Disk Management, I noticed an EFI partition on the drive that
    I could not delete.

To get the backup to run successfully I had to clear the EFI partition from the backup drive using diskpart.

Warning: These steps will delete all data on the backup drive.

• Open CMD.exe
    • Type "diskpart" without quotes to run the utility
    • list disk
    • select disk "x" where x is the backup drive
    • clean
    • create partition primary
    From here I went into Disk Management console and the disk was listed as a RAW partition. Right click the drive, select format (NTFS) and then right click it again once you have created a volume and change the drive letter.

I reran the system image creation utility and it was able to successfully create the system image. Hope this helps anyone else in this particular predicament!

BostonShawn77, Oct 8, 2019
  4. suraswami Win User

Best "Disk Image" Software (Poll)

Also include Avanquest's Perfect Image to the list. And they have few other backup solutions too.

suraswami, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

1. My system image backup also includes the data disk - Similar Threads - system image backup

2. Scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk: I am looking for best solution for scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk, since backup/recovery will be discontinued in windows10. So MS is proposing a 3. party solution instead. I have been using easeus for long time, but now I am having critical...
  3. System image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  4. Scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk: I am looking for best solution for scheduled, local, online disk image backup of windows system disk, since backup/recovery will be discontinued in windows10. So MS is proposing a 3. party solution instead. I have been using easeus for long time, but now I am having critical...
  5. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  6. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  7. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  8. system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on

system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on: Hello, My computer got infected with some malware, and I would like to use a backup (WindowsImageBackup) residing on an external hard drive. I have a system repair disk (actually, a USB drive); however, when I boot from it, and navigate to the menu option that handles...
  9. Very Simple and cheap DATA backup method (not NOT DISK Imaging)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very Simple and cheap DATA backup method (not NOT DISK Imaging): Hi folks If you have some type of Linux based Network File server it's 100% easy to back up your data regularly on it via a great standard program rsync. The command line interface is a bit complex if you aren't used to a CLI but there's a superb GUI version Grsync...
  10. System image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...