Windows 10: My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default

Discus and support My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; see photo below to see how my taskbar looks now. I have no clue what I did, or maybe, didn't do, to make it come up like this. Can someone help me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeniseOR, Aug 25, 2018.

1. DeniseOR Win User

My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default

see photo below to see how my taskbar looks now. I have no clue what I did, or maybe, didn't do, to make it come up like this. Can someone help me straighten it out to the "default" settings for taskbar? Thank you in advance for any help, Denise

My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default ef13bf91-31b2-4adc-837f-5680be8609de?upload=true.jpg

:)

DeniseOR, Aug 25, 2018
  2. David Sz. Win User

Taskbar height/width on the side

I'm using small taskbar buttons and that option changes height only if location of taskbar is bottom or top.

However, thank for answer!

David Sz., Aug 25, 2018
  3. Taskbar changes height when toolbars have icons set to "Large"

There has been an issue with the Windows taskbar which drives me crazy. It has been a problem since Windows XP and the "skinning" of the underlying user interface controls. It still persists in Windows 10.

When using a Toolbar on the Taskbar and the icon size is set to "small", the clickable targets are smaller than the vertical height of the taskbar. No problem, right? Either make the taskbar icon set to "small" as well and the clickable target area matches.

But what if I like the large buttons to click on? Setting the Toolbar (not taskbar!) icons to Large causes the taskbar vertical height to increase. This is fine for the Toolbar, but the application icons in the Taskbar now have an unclickable space beneath
    them. See image below (not my image... found online when trying to find a solution to this.)

My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default 6f777bb5-ca6a-4272-baa3-52616c5b675b.png

This doesn't happen in Windows 7 when using the "Windows Classic" scheme... so the problem must derive from the Aero skinning of the taskbar.

To recreate:

• Right click on the taskbar and Unlock it.
    • Ensure taskbar is set to "large icons" mode from Taskbar properties dialog box.
    • Right click an empty area of the taskbar and create a new Toolbar.
    • Right click on the label of the toolbar and choose View > Large Icons
    This wouldn't necessarily be an issue if the clickable region of the Application Icons was the full vertical height of the visible taskbar. It also wouldn't be an issue if the Toolbar "Large Icons" setting didn't have icons bigger than the Application Icons.

If there is a registry hack or other solution PLEASE let me know! I have had this problem with Toolbars since Windows XP, and the Toolbars are essential to my workflow.

Thanks!

spiffyfitz, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

1. My Taskbar changed in height, how do I return to it's default - Similar Threads - Taskbar changed height

2. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I just moved to Windows 11 - I understand you change because you have too even if no one asked for it. But can you please bring back the modification of the task bar? is criminally annoying I tried several things on the registry and does not do anything. I presume you blocked...
  3. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I just moved to Windows 11 - I understand you change because you have too even if no one asked for it. But can you please bring back the modification of the task bar? is criminally annoying I tried several things on the registry and does not do anything. I presume you blocked...
  4. Somehow, my Taskbar doubled in height. How to I reset it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Somehow, my Taskbar doubled in height. How to I reset it?: See the attached image. I have not done any changes and this just appeared. The image spans both of my desktops. I would like to reset the taskbar height on the right desktop down to it's original size....
  5. Somehow, my Taskbar doubled in height. How to I reset it?

Somehow, my Taskbar doubled in height. How to I reset it?: See the attached image. I have not done any changes and this just appeared. The image spans both of my desktops. I would like to reset the taskbar height on the right desktop down to it's original size....
  6. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I used to be able to grab the top border of the taskbar and either drag it up or down to change the height of the taskbar. That doesn't seem to work in Windows 11. Am I missing something?...
  7. how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11

how to change the height of the taskbar in windows 11: I used to be able to grab the top border of the taskbar and either drag it up or down to change the height of the taskbar. That doesn't seem to work in Windows 11. Am I missing something?...
  8. How do I change the height of the task bar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the height of the task bar?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DarkGladir [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mp5w6c/how_do_i_change_the_height_of_the_task_bar/
  9. How do I lower the Taskbar's height?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I lower the Taskbar's height?: I used to be able to adjust the height of my Taskbar - but can't figure out how to do it anymore. I'm hovering my cursor at the top of the Taskbar but the double arrow doesn't show anymore. 162615
  10. How do I reduce the height of the taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reduce the height of the taskbar in Windows 10: Hello, How do I reduce the height of the taskbar in Windows 10? It suddenly became about 1 1/2' high. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reduce-the-height-of-the-taskbar-in/49449c8d-c069-46fb-82bd-c0950db01f1f