Windows 10: My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

Discus and support My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shadtal, Feb 6, 2021.

1. shadtal Win User

My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

Hey there,

i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup:
    2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive.

I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1 mSATA M.2 PCIE NVMe SSD to PCI E 3.0 4X SATA 3.0 Adapter Card for M2 NVMe AHCI SATA mSATA Solid State Disk Converter|Add On Cards| - AliExpress

Whenever an ssd drive is connected through the pci adapter -the operation system cannot load. most of the times it resets the pc right after windows's welcome screen.
    Also, when trying to install a fresh install of windows to the ssd drive while it's connected through the pci adapter, it resets on the installion process.

I tried to install windows on the same ssd drive while the ssd connected directly to the mother board, without the pci adapter. this is the only way i can install windows.

the same ssd drive works perfectly while connected directly to the mother board.

Is it a faulty adapter? or is there some setting i can change?

videos:
    Reset while loging in to windows:
    Oops, something lost while log on with PCI to NVMe adapter.mp4
    Reset while installing windows:
    Oops, something lost while install windows with PCI to NVMe adapter.mp4

Many thanks, Daniel.

:)

shadtal, Feb 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Feb 6, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    HOW TO INSTALL DUAL BOOT 10/7 SYSTEM ON NVMe DRIVE WITH 10 FIRST?

IMO, The easiest way to get this done without using tedious dism command with different options or .cmd scripts.

First, download: Release DISM GUI 4.0 . mikecel79/DISMGUI . GitHub

Since I like to do everything from desktop. Make it easier to clean up after I am done.

1. Copy install.wim from Windows 7 ISO to desktop
    2. Create a new folder on desktop called: mount
    3. Run the program As Administrator. The program from the link above can do lots of things but we only concentrate on the first 2 tabs to add the required Drivers.

NOTE: If have a need to inject drivers to boot.wim then repeat the steps with boot.wim

See screenshots and follow the steps:

My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives [​IMG]

My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 6, 2021
  4. slance310 Win User

Windows 10 installation onto twin M.2 NVME drives setup in Raid 0

Hi,

I think you may be installing the wrong drivers... Or need additional...

I had a bit of a similar experience when installing a NVMe drive on my machine, though it was a single drive... not RAID...

I had to put drivers for the actual NVMe drive on the USB Stick and browse to that...

I have read that because of the firmware design, some Samsung drives don't need to do that, but I have no experience with Samsung... Mine is a OCZ\Toshiba drive that had drivers available from OCZ\Toshiba...

Win 10 supposedly does not need drivers for this type of device, but you are using RAID, and that may make a difference...

In my case, the NVME wasn't the boot device... The Boot Device was something like Windows Boot Manager... I'm thinking the actual drive did not appear...

Another thing to check is that the drives are Initialized properly... They most likely need to be Initialized as a GPT drive for UEFI machines, not MBR as was the case on the older Legacy Bios machines, though most newer machines\boards support both...

I'm not sure how this is dealt with when using RAID as I have never had a RAID setup...

slance310, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

1. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives - Similar Threads - unusual setup fails

2. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  3. NVME M.2 drive initialization issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVME M.2 drive initialization issue: I have a Samsung 970 EVO that was my C drive until Magician told me it had exceeded its rated TBW. AT which point I installed a new, larger Samsung 980 EVO to replace it. I then got a USB enclosure thinking to use the now redundant SSD as a portable music library to keep in...
  4. How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to clone SATA m.2 drive to NVMe m.2 drive?: My Del l 7370 came with a SATA M.2 dirve and I want to upgrade it with a larger NVMe M.2 drive. Using Acronis True Image to clone the drive with all partitions stay as is without any resizing. The resulted drive can not be booted. The system tried to do automatic repair but...
  5. Changing to a larger NVMe M.2 system drive on a Dell Inspiron 3671

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing to a larger NVMe M.2 system drive on a Dell Inspiron 3671: Hello all! The 256GB system drive on this PC is getting a tad cramped, so I bought a 500GB Samsung 870 PRO NVMe M.2 drive to replace the 256GB one. As of yet, I have had no success using Samsung's Data Migration or Macrium Reflect Free in cloning the old drive to the new one,...
  6. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives: Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive. I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1...
  7. Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive: I'm looking for advice about upgrading my NVMe drive on my desktop PC. My Windows 10 desktop PC uses a 250Gb Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 as the boot (C:) drive. I recently bought a Samsung 500Gb EVO Plus NVMe M.2 to upgrade it. What's the best way to do this? Or must I replace the...
  8. One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drives And Boot Manger: The goal is to be able to boot from either of the two operating systems from the boot manger but i don't know how to do this do i have to install OS on one then unplug that HDD then install the OS on the other HDD any help and how do i get boot Boot Manger to work right?...
  9. Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows is not recognizing an NVMe M.2 drive: Have Win 10Pro everything is fine except I can Not get a new NVMe M.2 to be recognized correctly by the OS it sees it as a SATA even though it is in a M.2 slot on Motherboard. I need more of an order of things to be done between the BIOS and Win 10. I installed a Samsung 970...
  10. 2 different operating systems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 different operating systems: I currently have Windows 10 - However, I have WD passport external drives that do not run on 10, Can I download XP without causing problems???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/2-different-operating-systems/a1b4f068-bdc8-4203-ae3a-35c3e6e17f39