Windows 10: My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state

Discus and support My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi, I tried using diskpart to fix the drive but no luck, I read another article about changing registry but i cannot find the folder, can anybody... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AnthonyHoHongKong, Oct 27, 2019.

1. My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state

hi, I tried using diskpart to fix the drive but no luck, I read another article about changing registry but i cannot find the folder, can anybody help please? The drive has no volume and I also tried to use disk management to initialise but it was greyed out.

Thanks

Anthony

:)

AnthonyHoHongKong, Oct 27, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Oct 27, 2019
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Oct 27, 2019
  4. freya306 Win User

My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state

USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised

Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today..
    I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows 10 and in a macbook, does not show up.
    I have tried a different cable from another USB device, still no luck.
    It appears in device manager which says it is running normally, I have tried un-installing and re-installing, no luck! In disk manager it says the disk is unknown and not initialised, see screenshot.
    Reading other forums suggest trying Minitool partition wizard it comes up but as 0GB, screenshot
    Please help me recover my device, it has a lot of data on it that I don't want to lose! I hope it is still there!

freya306, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state

1. My USB Flash drive cannot be initialised and it is now ready only in current state - Similar Threads - USB Flash drive

2. run ready boost with flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    run ready boost with flash drives: how to run ready boost in windows 11 ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-ready-boost-with-flash-drives/e5928730-b103-460e-ac9e-b09f6c778867
  3. run ready boost with flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    run ready boost with flash drives: how to run ready boost in windows 11 ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-ready-boost-with-flash-drives/e5928730-b103-460e-ac9e-b09f6c778867
  4. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  5. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  6. Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready: Hi there, I've tried everything under the sun to get this to work but so far nothing has. I have a WD Passport not ssd that is unable to be initialised by every third party software, disk management windows and CMD/powershell. It is listed on disk management but not in...
  7. Cannot detect USB 3.0 flash drive

Cannot detect USB 3.0 flash drive: I tried to assign drive letter and name for the removeable flash drive, but “disc management” process not able to proceed with formating the USB flash drive. Error prompt “ specified file not identified” which also lead conversion failure of RAW TO NTFS or FAT. Naturally...
  8. Cannot format Windows install thumb drive. Current Read-only State stuck on Yes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot format Windows install thumb drive. Current Read-only State stuck on Yes: Hello all, I recently had to reinstall my OS after upgrading the PC and sadly found out that my Windows flash drive is corrupted (copy files works fine but errors out at around 20% during install). I managed to get hold of another bootable USB stick and installed Win10...
  9. USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised

USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised: Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today.. I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows...
  10. Is it safe to assume that a usb 3.0 flash drive is Ready Boost ready?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it safe to assume that a usb 3.0 flash drive is Ready Boost ready?: As in title, is it safe to assume that a usb 3.0 flash drive is Ready Boost ready? I'm not finding any that actually say they are. This question assumes that the device will be plugged into a 3.0 port. 80369