Windows 10: My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why.

Discus and support My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Today I went to try using my graphics tablet to try drawing a little bit, but I've found that neither of the two USB ports on the side of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yukonhyena, Jul 21, 2018.

1. My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why.

Hi all,

Today I went to try using my graphics tablet to try drawing a little bit, but I've found that neither of the two USB ports on the side of my computer are working. I've tried plugging it into another USB port and it seems to work perfectly fine. Could it be my USB port is damaged or is it something wrong with my computer? I'm getting power from the ports, but every time I try plugging something in, my computer gives me an error called "Unknown USB Device (Device Description Request Failed)". Is my USB port damaged in some way? Is there any way I could fix this using Device Manager?

If more information is needed I will gladly provide it.
    Thank you,
    Yukon

:)

yukonhyena, Jul 21, 2018
  2. foxslink Win User

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Jul 21, 2018
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why. [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jul 21, 2018
  4. My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why.

USB Ports not working

Hi Marvin,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with accessing the USB ports on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the make and model of the device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted drivers on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with exclamatory mark in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.
    • Check for the drivers with exclamatory mark in yellow triangle.
    • If so, right click on the driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.
    • Also, try to update the drivers by click on Update driver software
      under Drivers tab in Properties window.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the USB ports for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why.

1. My USB ports aren't working, and I'm not sure why. - Similar Threads - USB ports aren't

2. Why is my Ethernet and usb port not working at full capacity?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Ethernet and usb port not working at full capacity?: Just recently hooked Ethernet up to my starlink router, but for some reason out of all the pc’s in the house, one of them run at a rate of 9 megabits per second while with the same Ethernet cable plugging into a pc with very similar parts close nearby, get around 190 megabits...
  3. Why is my Ethernet and usb port not working at full capacity?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is my Ethernet and usb port not working at full capacity?: Just recently hooked Ethernet up to my starlink router, but for some reason out of all the pc’s in the house, one of them run at a rate of 9 megabits per second while with the same Ethernet cable plugging into a pc with very similar parts close nearby, get around 190 megabits...
  4. Why are my USB 3.0 ports not working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why are my USB 3.0 ports not working?: I just went through the process of reinstalling windows on a pc that was having a bunch of errors updating. I used this pc for a good 6 months to stream and play games on it before it really started to struggle and I knew it needed to be updated. The computer has eight usb...
  5. Why are my USB 3.0 ports not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my USB 3.0 ports not working?: I just went through the process of reinstalling windows on a pc that was having a bunch of errors updating. I used this pc for a good 6 months to stream and play games on it before it really started to struggle and I knew it needed to be updated. The computer has eight usb...
  6. Why are my USB 3.0 ports not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. my usb port not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my usb port not working: i have question, about my usb port not working all of a sudden and after i update windows it works normally within a week and 2 days i don't use the usb port i again have problems not being detected by devices such as mouse, keyboard, cellphone and camera...
  8. my usb port not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my usb port not working: i have question, about my usb port not working all of a sudden and after i update windows it works normally within a week and 2 days i don't use the usb port i again have problems not being detected by devices such as mouse, keyboard, cellphone and camera...
  9. All USB port aren't working ........please reply

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All USB port aren't working ........please reply: from last 2 days, My Dell laptop's Usb are not working ...i cant connect mouse or keybord or anything...how to fix please reply... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-usb-port-arent-working-please-reply/0b6340d0-ad33-4657-afac-e9b0d85fb9e0
  10. USB Ports aren't working at Windows 10 Log-in Screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Ports aren't working at Windows 10 Log-in Screen: My computer was working fine and then it automatically updated and the next day when I turned it on, my keyboard and mouse weren't working anymore. They work on BIOS, and my motherboard loading screen. But I have no access once it hits the microsoft log in screen as the...