Windows 10: MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES

Discus and support MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10. Since my computer has been upgraded from Windows 7 a couple years ago, I have noticed my noticed the ports letter designations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NealeClifton, Sep 15, 2018.

1. MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES

I have Windows 10. Since my computer has been upgraded from Windows 7 a couple years ago, I have noticed my noticed the ports letter designations periodically changing. Is there a fix for my problem?

:)

NealeClifton, Sep 15, 2018

2. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Thank you for your response. The steps do work, but when I safely remove the USB drive, then insert it back into the same USB port, the drive letter changes from E: to F:. Is there any way to keep it at E:? All I did was install Windows 10. I'm not
    sure what could be causing this problem.

Joseph Rosenquist, Sep 15, 2018
  4. spapakons Win User

MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES

1. MY USB PORTS SEEM TO CHANGE LETTER DESIGNATIONS BY THEMSELVES - Similar Threads - USB PORTS SEEM

2. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive changing letter sometimes?: I have 7 USB thumb drives that are all set as f drives. I rotate them around for backing up. They are a mix of USB 2 and USB 3.0. Have used them with this batch file I created for years and no issues. I only use them every couple of months and they are rotated backups.All of...
  3. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Drive changing letter sometimes?: I have 7 USB thumb drives that are all set as f drives. I rotate them around for backing up. They are a mix of USB 2 and USB 3.0. Have used them with this batch file I created for years and no issues. I only use them every couple of months and they are rotated backups.All of...
  4. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB ports changing location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports changing location: Hello i have an issue with my Lenovo Ideacentre pc running windows 10. I have a12 port powered hub that is connected to the usb port on the rear of the pc, the problem is that it keeps "forgetting" that it is connected to the hub. When i reconnect to one of the ports on the...
  6. USB ports changing location

in Windows 10 Support
    USB ports changing location: Hello i have an issue with my Lenovo Ideacentre pc running windows 10. I have a12 port powered hub that is connected to the usb port on the rear of the pc, the problem is that it keeps "forgetting" that it is connected to the hub. When i reconnect to one of the ports on the...
  7. Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unused USB ports consuming needed drive letters.: I need to change the letter of one of my drives from "M:" to "G:" to fix a bunch of shortcuts. Unfortunately, Win10 has decided to permanently assign a drive letter to every USB port whether there is something plugged into them or not. Result: I can't change the drive...
  8. changing com port designation

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing com port designation: I have a HP-Notebook that shows com ports 3, 4, 5. I am trying to connect to another device whos software only accepts com 1 or com 2. How can I change one of my 3 ports to a different com # ? Thanks...
  9. The newest update seems to have disabled my USB ports

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The newest update seems to have disabled my USB ports: The newest Windows update has disabled my USB ports, making it so I can't use my mouse. Seriously, I should turn off updates as they seem to bring problems more than anything else...
  10. How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make a USB port/connection letter persistent?: The USB port drive letter periodically switches between D and E messing up my scheduled Macrium Reflect daily backup. The free version will not send an error email so I frequently end up missing a number of days before I happen to check my wife's laptop. I'm not sure of...