Windows 10: My user account isn't an admin

Discus and support My user account isn't an admin in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am the only person to use this laptop, and I remember a while back I somehow accidentally changed my account from being an admin to not being an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Wyndhall, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Wyndhall Win User

My user account isn't an admin

I am the only person to use this laptop, and I remember a while back I somehow accidentally changed my account from being an admin to not being an admin. Now, I cannot allow any new software I download to make changes to my computer.

How can I make my account back into an admin?

:)

Wyndhall, Jan 6, 2018
  2. Lyndeelu Win User

My only user account (an admin account) does not have permissions to do anything - help!

Had the same problem and noted that my account, instead of being c:\users\<username> was just "c:\users\user".

So, set up a new account and made it an administrator.

Copied all my files from my old account to my new account (check properties after copying to be sure each old directory and each new directory have the same number of files) then logged out of my old account, logged in to my new account and now everything
    is hunky dory.

Seems that my account was corrupted on the upgrade somehow.

Lyndeelu, Jan 6, 2018
  3. My only user account (an admin account) does not have permissions to do anything - help!

As the title suggests... I only have one account on my computer. It says it an admin account, but I can only open files in read only and don't have permission to save anything anywhere on my computer.

How is this even possible?

How do I fix it so the computer realizes that I am the admin?

thanks!

ScottMobley, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

All computers should have at least 1 account that has Administrative Rights. Other accounts can be Standard. There is a hidden Administrator that can do a bit more than what an administrator can do. [Need a playbook to keep it straight.]
    Check this page, haven't tested whether a Standard user can open a Command Prompt/PowerShell window using Run as Administrator:

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Berton, Jan 6, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My user account isn't an admin - Similar Threads - user account isn't

2. Admin and User Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin and User Account: Hello,Sorry for the basic of not already asked questions:When I set up my new windows 11 laptop I am the admin and have a Microsoft account. I’m told I should also have a user account. Is that true?Which should be local?If I make the admin local would I still have access to...
  3. Admin and User Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin and User Account: Hello,Sorry for the basic of not already asked questions:When I set up my new windows 11 laptop I am the admin and have a Microsoft account. I’m told I should also have a user account. Is that true?Which should be local?If I make the admin local would I still have access to...
  4. Admin Priveliges on a user account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin Priveliges on a user account: Can i enable a program to run as an admin for a user account without having to put in admin credentials every time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-priveliges-on-a-user-account/c97fe6ff-05f9-448d-8873-5cb17f99e873
  5. admin/user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    admin/user accounts: Is there a way to let standard user accounts have access to programs downloaded under the admin account of a Microsoft laptop? Woiuld it depend on the program downloaded? I feel like there is a way to do this but I just can seem to remember. The accounts would be on the same...
  6. admin/user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    admin/user accounts: Is there a way to let standard user accounts have access to programs downloaded under the admin account of a Microsoft laptop? Woiuld it depend on the program downloaded? I feel like there is a way to do this but I just can seem to remember. The accounts would be on the same...
  7. Why isn't this on my User Account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why isn't this on my User Account?: Windows 10 Pro Education How to not have to login windows 10 How to turn off the password feature on Windows 10 Click the Start menu and type "netplwiz." The top result should be a program of the same name click it to open. ...In the User Accounts screen that launches,...
  8. Why isn't this on my User Account?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why isn't this on my User Account?: Windows 10 Pro Education How to not have to login windows 10 How to turn off the password feature on Windows 10 Click the Start menu and type "netplwiz." The top result should be a program of the same name click it to open. ...In the User Accounts screen that launches,...
  9. My Admin Account isn't truly admin

My Admin Account isn't truly admin: Hi guys, I have a W10 user account attached to my microsoft account. It is listed as a full on admin account. However, with certain tasks it doesn't let me do certain admin tasks. I wanted to make changes to my hosts file, but was unable to do so. Any thoughts? Thanks....
  10. My admin account switched to a user account!

My admin account switched to a user account!: My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure. I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL... I really need some help to try to fix this issue. The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on. All I...