Windows 10: My user folder has been moved to the desktop

Discus and support My user folder has been moved to the desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I've just started setting up my new desktop with Windows 10. I just realised my user folder has been moved to the desktop, not sure how. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aris M, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Aris M Win User

My user folder has been moved to the desktop

Hello

I've just started setting up my new desktop with Windows 10. I just realised my user folder has been moved to the desktop, not sure how.

In the C:Users\ folder there are now only two folders: 'Public' (used to be there before) and 'defaultuser10000' (new folder appeared now) There is also a hidden 'Default' folder.

My own user folder ('Aris'), which used to be in that folder is now on the Desktop. When I click on it, the folder opens, all the usual subfolders are there ('Documents', 'Pictures', etc.). But if I go to the 'Home' tab (when on File Explorer), I cannot click 'Properties' or 'Edit', these are disabled. This means I cannot access the 'Move' button in that dialogue box in order to transfer the folder back to the Users folder.

Also, another strange thing. When, on File Explorer, I click the 'up arrow' button to take me one level up, it will take me to a folder that shows all the icons that exist on the desktop. But if I click on 'desktop', either from 'Quick Access', or from 'This PC', or the Desktop icon in my user folder, it takes me to another Desktop folder with only two icons in it!

Any thoughts? Help?

Best

Aris

:)

Aris M, Dec 1, 2019

2. Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Dec 1, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Kari, Dec 1, 2019
  4. My user folder has been moved to the desktop

Desktop and user folder merging

Hi,

There are different ways for you to recover the previous folder settings on your computer. One of these is by following the steps below to organize and relocate your desktop or user folder.

• Press Windows key + E to launch File Explorer.
    • Right-click on the special folder that you want to restore (Desktop).
    • Then select Properties.
    • Navigate to the Location tab.
    • Click Restore Default.
    • Then click Apply to save the changes.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

My user folder has been moved to the desktop

1. My user folder has been moved to the desktop - Similar Threads - user folder has

2. After Moving My Desktop, the Wifi has been greatly Capped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Moving My Desktop, the Wifi has been greatly Capped: On my phone and any other device, im getting 500+ mbps, but my desktop has been capped at 50 mbps for both download and upload.I Have already triedRestarting My ComputerChecking For Driver UpdatesReadjusted my Antenna on My DesktopAny Idea on What I can do to get my wifi...
  3. After Moving My Desktop, the Wifi has been greatly Capped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Moving My Desktop, the Wifi has been greatly Capped: On my phone and any other device, im getting 500+ mbps, but my desktop has been capped at 50 mbps for both download and upload.I Have already triedRestarting My ComputerChecking For Driver UpdatesReadjusted my Antenna on My DesktopAny Idea on What I can do to get my wifi...
  4. Moving user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving user folder: I just got a new SSD and have it installed alongside my old HDD, but when I boot from my new drive I have to use the new user, instead of the old one. The user that is on the old drive has a lot of stuff that I need, but I can't figure out how to get it onto the new drive in...
  5. My user folder has just disappeared (NOT THE USERS FOLDER but the folder with my user’s...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My user folder has just disappeared (NOT THE USERS FOLDER but the folder with my user’s...: Pls help submitted by /u/Delete-JakePaul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jibqp2/my_user_folder_has_just_disappeared_not_the_users/
  6. I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder: Now after resetting my pc and trying for a whole day, I can't figure out how to undo it. This is how it happened, I went into my desktop properties, to location tab, when changing it, it went back to previous parent folder, where my default user profiles are saved, i thought...
  7. Downloads folder moved from C to D drive and has been merged with User folder

Downloads folder moved from C to D drive and has been merged with User folder: I was running out of space on my C drive, so I decided to relocate the Downloads folder to the D drive within my User folderD:\Hashim Ali My user folder in the d drive This ended up merging my user folder and the downloads folder, making it one massive 40 GB folder I...
  8. My user folder has been renamed. Why ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My user folder has been renamed. Why ?: Hi ! I recently discovered that my user folder has been renamed. Before it was C/Users/[My Name] but now, instead of My name there is the 5 first letters of my email. What happened ? Will there be a problem ? How do I get back to my old user folder name ? Thanks !...
  9. Moving User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving User Folders: I've been playing with the tutorial to move user profiles during install (option 1), and that method only seems to work with a "users" folder. Or am I doing something with in my relocate.xml file? I would like to have my profiles drive; D:\Alowicious D:\Cinderella...
  10. Internet Explorer has been moved to the Accessories folder in 10049.

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer has been moved to the Accessories folder in 10049.: I have previously read on windows10update that Microsoft was planning to move IE to the accessories folder, and remove its shortcuts on the taskbar and start menu. I thought this would only happen in a future build... But it's already the case with 10049 -- that is -- if...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defaultuser10000

2. defaultuser10000 windows 10