Windows 10: My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

Discus and support My user profile folders are in the wrong place. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I get my "system" folders back where they belong in my explorer tree? For example, my contacts folder among others appears under my "pictures"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeThe Mad Russian, Mar 15, 2020.

1. My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

How can I get my "system" folders back where they belong in my explorer tree? For example, my contacts folder among others appears under my "pictures" folder. This, I believe, is a result of reusing the system drive from my old computer as a data drive on my new build after installing Windows 10 Pro. I did not re-format the drive I migrated to the new build because I thought there might still be some files on that drive that I would want. When I first restarted the newly built computer with the old drive in it, it took forever to come up to the login screen and there now seemed to be a mix of the old and new operating system on my newly built computer. I tried to move folders around to get them where they belonged but the mess just got worse. Do I have to reinstall Windows in order to fix this? Help please!

:)

MikeThe Mad Russian, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Hello Brink and thank you. This website is a very helpful resource. My user profile folders are in the wrong place. :)

Your suggested answer will hide the User Profile folder in the Navigation Pane.

Instead, this scenario involves not hiding the User Profile folder but hiding specific Personal Folders in the Navigation Pane that are marked "Hidden" in the Files/Folders Listing Area.

My suspicion is that there are more "PinToNamespace" registry entries for me to toggle the DWORD value.

TechGuy737, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

My user profile folders are in the wrong place.

1. My user profile folders are in the wrong place. - Similar Threads - user profile folders

2. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  3. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dlls placed in wrong folder: i was opening an app when i got 0xc00000007b so i so i looked on yotube and found like dlls in a downloads and i put these dlls in system 32 and syswow64 and then i tried to open epic games and i get this error...
  4. dlls placed in wrong folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Users folder and Profile folder: Hello,What are the advantages and disadvantages of deleting the Users main folder and User Folder?I have heard that it will delete viruses or that kind of things!Sorry if it sounds a dumb questionGreetings...
  6. Users folder and Profile folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder and Profile folder: Hello,What are the advantages and disadvantages of deleting the Users main folder and User Folder?I have heard that it will delete viruses or that kind of things!Sorry if it sounds a dumb questionGreetings...
  7. Users folder and Profile folder

8. Windows 11 User Profile Folder not in Correct Place

Windows 11 User Profile Folder not in Correct Place: I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 on a brand new drive. While downloading programs and getting my computer ready, I found that my user profile folder with the app data and all that stuff is not in my C drive Users Folder. My user profile exists, I found it with...
  9. Windows 11 User Profile Folder not in Correct Place

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 User Profile Folder not in Correct Place: I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 on a brand new drive. While downloading programs and getting my computer ready, I found that my user profile folder with the app data and all that stuff is not in my C drive Users Folder. My user profile exists, I found it with...
  10. Login With Wrong User Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login With Wrong User Profile: Recently when I log in with my Microsoft username and password, I login with an unknown user profile. Formerly I logged in with a user profile for 'Rankin Desktop'. When I logged in a few days ago, I got a message like "can't find user profile". That may be when this all...