Windows 10: My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked?

Discus and support My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Was surfing the web. Scanned a Zip file at VT, said it was OK. Downloaded it. Before extracting, scanned with Defender and MBAM, both said clean.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Greyslate, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Greyslate Win User

My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked?

Was surfing the web. Scanned a Zip file at VT, said it was OK.
    Downloaded it.
    Before extracting, scanned with Defender and MBAM, both said clean.
    Extracted & re-scanned again Defender & MBAM said clean.
    Opened a new browser to scan extracted folder on VT.
    UM.. the VT home page is totally different?

See pics.

My normal
    My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked? [​IMG]

(I had first VT scan still open)

Hijacked ?
    My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked? [​IMG]

(also changed toolbar icon for both )

FWIW :Toolbar addy didnt change still (https :// www virustotal com/)

This doesn't look right. Did I just get hijacked?
    Please help.

:)

Greyslate, Aug 6, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Aug 6, 2017
  3. I want utility load for browser to surfing web safe and block malicious URL. Please the tell me know ?

I've never used it and I wouldn't see any reason to use it....

Personally, I prefer to not install too many browser extensions.

When I want to check a link, I just go to VirusTotal.

But: VirusTotal also offers browser extensions, see:
    https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002700745-Browser-Extensions

And just a general advice: Be really careful with Chrome extensions. There are lots out there which are more or less malicious....

Jsssssssss, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It looks like a simple home page change you should just be able to set your own home page

Samuria, Aug 6, 2017
  5. Greyslate Win User
    Thanks for reply, VT is not my browser home page. I don't think I explained it well, let my try again.

My toolbar bookmark for VirusTotal address is https :// www . virustotal . com/ .

I opened a browser window(first) & using the toolbar bookmark went to VirusTotal. The VT page looked like it normally does (first pic) and the https :// www . virustotal . com, matches my bookmark.

Then I scanned a file (came up clean) & left that browser open.
    I downloaded and extracted that file.

I opened a new (second) browser window & using the toolbar bookmark went to VirusTotal (in the second browser window), however the VT page looked totally different (second pic).

Beside the visual change between the two browser window's I noticed the following.

The web address on the (second) browser automatically changed to "https :// www . virustotal . com/#/home/upload".
    The "Icon" of the toolbar bookmark for both browser windows changed.
    My toolbar bookmark address has not changed.
    If Google VirusTotal & follow that link I get the page like my first pic.

Thoughts?

Greyslate, Aug 6, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    The first one seems to be just an old version. Keep refreshing the first one and you eventually get the newer version.

You maybe have not cleared your cache, or not re-done Favourites/Bookmarks links recently.
    I get the same thing on 3 different Browsers.

Quite right to be suspicious.

Helmut, Aug 6, 2017
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    Might it be a function of having two different (but same) browser processes running, versus two different windows of the same browser process running?

If you were to open a new tab in each browser window and click on the Virus Total bookmark, what would be the result(s)?

I am curious about the ZIP file. On the one hand, you are (overly?) cautious by doing so much scanning of it. On the other hand, you're not offering its name and link for possible peer-reviewing via sandboxing.

pyramid10, Aug 6, 2017
  8. Greyslate Win User

Sorry, thought I replied & marked this as solved.
    I'm going with what Pyramid said about multiple browsers. After I cleaned everything, shut down & restarted, it was back to normal.

Pyramid,
    Yes I am overly cautious (some might even say.. paranoid).
    I did not know I could offer something for peer-reviewing.
    For future reference how would I do so?

Again,
    Many Thanks.

Greyslate, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My VirusTotal page looks different, browser hijacked? - Similar Threads - VirusTotal page looks

2. Browser Hijacker issue.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacker issue.: So for the past 3 days I've been cleaning my pc from a Trojan.I've managed to get rid of it, scanned many times to make sure as well,But after scanning with Adware cleaner, it shows these 2 PUPs and I can't Quarantine them.I've been having issues with redirects for a while...
  3. browser hijacker programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    browser hijacker programs: How do I remove a browser hijacker program. I think I have "search-land.com" running on my system. McAfee and TotalAV scans have not found any virus or malware.What gives??JimH...
  4. Web page hijacked.

in Browsers and Email
    Web page hijacked.: Just been looking at my website and found that one of the links is directing visitors to a gambling page. How could this happen. I have been running the site for about 10 years, now, without problems. My Windows version, 2004, Build 19041.630. Any advie welcome. 169137
  5. Browser Hijackers

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Hijackers: I have searched the internet for three days now using my cellphone because the three browsers on my desktop are hijacked by taboola orrecp.mkt 81 or a few others. I have used, as suggested, "Hi-Jack This"---"Malwarebytes"---an three others. These bad apps cannot be found...
  6. Hijack Browser "Ask"

in Windows 10 Support
    Hijack Browser "Ask": (Windows 10 current ) Thanks to Windows 10 Forums I am very pleased to say it got rid of "Ask" the hijack browser. I learned a big lesson, never to use systems on line on how to do this and that, they are bandits! Cheers RonBin (now 88) 157927
  7. Browser Hijacker

Browser Hijacker: Recently found all google searches on my preferred browser ending up with yahoo search results on my Windows 10 desktop. Checked all software for latest updates, ran full Defender scan, but could not restore the Google search engine. Finally stumbled across this piece of...
  8. browser hijacker

browser hijacker: https://operateeditfind.info/search_web.php?q=juice&uid=71e51036-9c7c-4578-ef6bc94560e9&rnd=1&themeIndex=1002&b=firefox&bv=69&secret=ketica_ff_ext_avg&source=1 I'm using an HP Netbook and running Windows 8.1 I keep getting redirected to yahoo.com when I use my default...
  9. Browser hijack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser hijack: Hi whenever I open a page from within an app my default browser which is almost advert free is bypassed and microsofts advert fest Edge is used instead. Edge is pretty much unusable to me as I despise being forced to view adverts also I dislike the search engine which I have...
  10. Browser hijacker

Browser hijacker: How do I know if I've got a browser hijacker? And why do I keep getting calls saying my computer is in danger? Supposingly from microsoft agent....