Windows 10: My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.

Discus and support My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Glad to hear that it worked. It took a lot of searching in the past to find this solution, when I needed it. Nearly all answers concentrate on sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iamjim, Jul 9, 2016.

1. PiKo Win User

My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine.

Glad to hear that it worked. It took a lot of searching in the past to find this solution, when I needed it. Nearly all answers concentrate on sharing and security settings and workgroup/homegroup settings and so on.
    (and I thought that you thought that you had to create a new username for yourself)

2. iamjim Win User

It's amazing. That's the slickest solution to local networking yet.

iamjim, Jul 9, 2016
  3. pyramid10 Win User
    Please tell me if I've worked it through correctly.

Sally has a PC device with a router for internet access. When Harry met Sally, they hit it off platonically. He spends time at her place with his PC device. He is invited to use the router to get internet access. As their relationship deepens, Sally thinks the two can share a common folder on her PC device.

Per the instructions offered in this thread, Sally creates a user account on her PC device so the common folder can be given access to this new user.

Instructive details stopped coming after this.

Now, Sally isn't ready to commit to Harry this soon. So this user account cannot be Harry's to use via direct access of Sally's PC device. Harry will just have to enjoy access remotely via his own PC device and by way of the router/network to the common folder.

Does Sally create a username that matches Harry's username on his PC device? With the secret password she created for the account, she signs in and out. Then, from her own account, she grants this account access to the common folder.

When Harry links into the router/network, his PC device with his username matching the permitted username for access to the common folder, now has access.

Is this the solution/scenario envisioned?

pyramid10, Jul 12, 2016
  4. iamjim Win User

No. The username can (and I think should) be a different name. Sally, should create a username like myfriend and give it a password. She must then change the sharing and permissions on the folder(s) she wants Harry to have access to. If sally wants to give Harry permission to access her private parts she would go into This PC (or Computer or My Computer) then into Users then right click on her username and follow the red brick road in the screen shots below:

My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. [​IMG]

My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. [​IMG]

I added the image below by mistake and now can't figure out how to delete it

iamjim, Jul 12, 2016
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    So - when Sally creates a useraccount "Carly" and grants it permission to access the common folder, how does that magically allow Harry to access the common folder from his PC device through the network/router?

When you say the solution worked, how? The dots don't appear to connect. And if the dots do connect, that appears to be a security flaw.

Edit: I should add that I have two PC, Sally and Harry, both Windows 10 who can't see each other through the same internet access point. Homegroup and workgroup failed.

pyramid10, Jul 13, 2016
  6. iamjim Win User
    I'm not sure how a Carly came into this. Maybe I misunderstood you. I meant she should not use Sally for the new user. She can use Harry if she wants. The assumption is that Sally gave Harry the new username she created (whatever it is) and the password for it.

iamjim, Jul 13, 2016
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    I don't think we are on the same frequency or using the same language.

How does Harry gain access to the common folder on Sally's PC device without physically touching her device, but through his own PC device via the router/network?

How does Harry magically accomplish the above if all Sally had to do was to create a useraccount on her PC device and grant it access to the common folder? What would Harry's PC device see, when he visits Sally, logs into her router/network? And why, if the solution works, would Harry see the common folder from his PC device?

pyramid10, Jul 14, 2016
  8. PiKo Win User

I donot understand this discussion above. What I found in a different forum was: my Pi with XBMC has no access to shared folders on my W10 PC. XBMC asks for user name and password and I have none. Answer: define user with user name XBMC and password XBMC on the W10 PC, type these when the Pi asks for, and you will have access to the shared folders (if sharing and security settings are set correctly). I thought that, what worked with the Pi, will also work for other Unix PC's and even for another W10 PC. Indeed, it worked for me and for Iamjim. Why not give it a try?

9. iamjim Win User
    It isn't magic, it's because they are on the same network.

iamjim, Jul 14, 2016
  10. pyramid10 Win User
    -- PiKo

-- PiKo

The first quote is not identical to the second quote in terms of function. I'm just trying to clarify what actually took place.

In the first quote, the wife has not been asked to create a useraccount and password up to that point on her PC. Thus, when you say "login", you are indicating a response to clicking on the shared folder that she should see from her PC. Yes? No?

The second quote doesn't make sense to me, yet. Is that not a security risk, to have a useraccount and password the same as what gets the Pi access? Sure, it is a non-administrative account. But an open door is an open door.

pyramid10, Jul 15, 2016
  11. PiKo Win User
    In the first quote, the wife has not been asked to create a useraccount and password up to that point on her PC. Thus, when you say "login", you are indicating a response to clicking on the shared folder that she should see from her PC. Yes? No?

Yes. Response when asked for.

The second quote doesn't make sense to me, yet. Is that not a security risk, to have a useraccount and password the same as what gets the Pi access? Sure, it is a non-administrative account. But an open door is an open door.

I agree, but I am only repeating what was said in the xbmc forum.

Thema:

1. My Wife's Win7 Macine Cannot Access my Win10 Machine. - Similar Threads - Wife's Win7 Macine

2. Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass: I'm writing multipass with Oracle VM virtualbox and according to it it does not have an IP address I do not know how to connect itWhatever I try to create a new virtual machine I keep on getting the same...
  3. Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access my virtual machine in my multipass: I'm writing multipass with Oracle VM virtualbox and according to it it does not have an IP address I do not know how to connect itWhatever I try to create a new virtual machine I keep on getting the same...
  4. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my macine is not updating?: I am not getting updates.My Desktop PC is not connected with Micrsoft Server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-macine-is-not-updating/2cb1d8a4-0c00-4c32-8603-bf5f5c0a39d6
  5. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my macine is not updating?: I am not getting updates.My Desktop PC is not connected with Micrsoft Server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-macine-is-not-updating/2cb1d8a4-0c00-4c32-8603-bf5f5c0a39d6
  6. Why my macine is not updating?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot access my wife's network computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access my wife's network computer: My computer cannot find my wife's laptop on the network, even though they are the same make and model. One reason may be that her Microsoft username is in some places J.......@prodigy.net and others J......@proxdigy.net. Somehow this typo occurred and I have no clue how to...
  8. Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access Win10 machine via local network: I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up... All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I: Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using...
  9. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624
  10. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624