Windows 10: My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.

Discus and support My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have configured my PC so only magic packets can wake it from sleep, yet it seems like my network card is responsible for waking it up from sleep.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BuldozerX, Mar 5, 2021.

1. My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.

I have configured my PC so only magic packets can wake it from sleep, yet it seems like my network card is responsible for waking it up from sleep. Have this happened to you?

submitted by /u/BuldozerX
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BuldozerX, Mar 5, 2021

2. Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

Hello!

I'm using Asrock Z87 Pro motherboard with onboard Intel I217-V network adapter. For few years I was running Windows 8, and had configured computer to wake only on Magic Packet being received on port 9 - everything worked flawless.

Recently I made fresh installation of Windows 10, installed all manufacturer's drivers, configured network adapter as before (wake on LAN only on Magic Packet), also disabled all other wake timers - everything is set as before. But now computer keeps waking up at random moments around 30min to 1hour after being put to sleep and "powercfg -lastwake" shows that it's the ethernet module that wakes computer up, although it's set to wake from only Magic Packet. What the hell? *Sad

I also checked my router log files - only magic packets being sent are from my phone when I genuienly needed to wake up PC. Also I don't want to disable WOL functionality altogether, because it's very convenient to remotely wake and access home PC.

Could someone suggest what to try next?

FakeUsername, Mar 5, 2021
  3. 56Kruiser Win User
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing.

Is this possible?

Any suggestions appreciated.

56Kruiser, Mar 5, 2021
  4. jimhoyle Win User

My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.

Weird behavior on magic packet computer wakeup

I have TP-Link TL-WPA8630P v2.0.3.b36564 as my router. MacBook Pro 16" 2019 is connected to that router via ethernet. If I launch a little program called "WOL - Magic Packet Sender", put it in Receive mode, send magic packet to MacBook, the program will immediately say "Magic Packet Received".

My Ethernet adapter is on a USB dock called Startech USB C Multiport Adapter DKT30CHVAUSP. In Device Manager, I went through all items and the only relevant I could find is Realtek USB GbE Family Controller. There I have [x] Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power (tried also disabling that). And [x] Allow this devicee to wake the computer. The problem is, the computer does not wake up no matter what. Tried [x] Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer and also that disabled, no difference.

The strange thing is, if I trigger the magic packet (from my phone for example, which does wake up my other computers – which are not behind the same router) the popup "Magic Packet Received" will appear after a long while after the computer has already been switched on normally. What exactly happens there? iPhone has this program WOL which I use. It sends three magic packets, I think. At least the listener program gives three consequtive popups when pressing "Wake Up". So when the computer is sleeping, I do that, nothing happens. I turn on the computer. Nothing happens. But after 1, 2 or even 10 minutes later, surprisingly popups appear one at a time. How is that possible? Where is the magic packet "queued"? Or are they some sort of noise, false alarms?

However the main question is, what can I try to get the WOL working?

I could not find any port routing section in the router's options, however isn't the router already working perfectly as "Magic Packet Received" does work, just the computer doesn't wake up?

(It also did not wake up when I tested connecting the computer through WiFi. However the culprit for that could also be that the WiFi chip has some different problem. Or it could be the same problem, I don't know.)

jimhoyle, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.

1. My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only. - Similar Threads - WiFi waking sleep

2. How to wake up my pc from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up my pc from sleep: Problem is that every time I put my computer to sleep or it goes to sleep on its own, after the blue light indicating the power is on goes out, after i try to wake it up, the light turns back on but the screen stays black. I always end up having to force shut down then turn...
  3. Computer wakes from WOL without sending magic packet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer wakes from WOL without sending magic packet: I recently enabled Wake on LAN and Wake on WAN so that I can easily Remote Desktop from my iPad when away from my desk, whether I’m on my home network or not. Everything is working as intended, but I’ve noticed my PC wakes from sleep and hibernate randomly on its own,...
  4. Wake-On-Lan No Longer Works Except for Magic Packet

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake-On-Lan No Longer Works Except for Magic Packet: Hi, I have been using Wake-On-LAN for a number of years, but it recently seems to have begun acting differently. Although I have "only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" unchecked in my Ethernet device's settings, in fact only a magic packet will wake the computer....
  5. Windows 10 rebooting after waking from sleep with WOL magic packet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 rebooting after waking from sleep with WOL magic packet: Hi there I've been looking around various places on the internet to try and find a solution to this problem but none have presented one yet so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone has encountered a similar one. For years I have been using sleep mode in Windows 10 and...
  6. when waking my laptop from sleep, will not connect to wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when waking my laptop from sleep, will not connect to wifi: when waking my laptop from sleep, will not reconnect to wifi, Lenova Yoga. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/when-waking-my-laptop-from-sleep-will-not-connect/080ca23c-4d1b-418e-bc03-93f05f99586e
  7. Wake-On-Lan only works when I disable NIC "magic packet only" option

Wake-On-Lan only works when I disable NIC "magic packet only" option: I'm running Windows 10 Pro on an Asus P8Z68-VLX motherboard with a Realtek PCIe GBE family NIC. If I tick the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" option in the Power Management options of the NIC I can't wake the PC using the Wake-On-Lan feature app from another...
  8. Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled: Hello! I'm using Asrock Z87 Pro motherboard with onboard Intel I217-V network adapter. For few years I was running Windows 8, and had configured computer to wake only on Magic Packet being received on port 9 - everything worked flawless. Recently I made fresh...
  9. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep: My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc. Although my keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC from sleep (in Device Manager), they don't wake the PC. Interestingly, pressing the "Power Button"...
  10. Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?: Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing. Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated. 37517