Windows 10: my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out

Discus and support my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sir I have a windows 10 workstation, and its not discovering any of my other computer in the house. when checked the DNS Client Service is Grayed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ollakal, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ollakal Win User

my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out

Sir

I have a windows 10 workstation, and its not discovering any of my other computer in the house. when checked the DNS Client Service is Grayed out, not allowing to start. I really appreciate if you can help me to resolve this issue

Thanks

Raguram ollakal

:)

ollakal, Jan 12, 2019
  2. spindles7 Win User

DNS Client Service will not start

If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was disabled and I wanted to change it to Automatic but cannot from the Services utility. So I changed the Start value to 2 in the Registry for the Dnscache service. This changes the startup type to Automatic (Trigger Start) as shown in Services. However, trying to start it produces the Error 1058: "The service cannot be started because it is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Steps I have done so far:
    1. Ran sfc /scannow
    2. Checked permissions on the relevant registry keys compared to another (working) Windows 10 computer.
    3. Replaced the file C:\windows\system32\dnsrslvr.dll with one from another (working) Windows 10 computer.
    4. Checked the dependent services and drivers are running.
    5. Checked the registry values and sub keys for HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache

I am out of ideas. Any help to fix the permissions and get this working will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roy

spindles7, Jan 12, 2019
  3. CDH_srl Win User
    Change DNS on client

Hello,
    we have a customer with over 2000 Windows 7 clients, domain controllers are Windows 2008, all clients are with IP and DNS settings configured manually, now they need to change DNS settings on that clients, please can you suggest us a few ways to do this
    avoiding manual intervention on all clients?
    Thanks
    Regards

CDH_srl, Jan 12, 2019
  4. my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out

1. my windows 10 DNS client service is graid out - Similar Threads - DNS client service

2. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service: I'm having a problem with the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN when browsing through the internet. Also, if I play online games, I keep having sync issues. Normally, I would just flush the DNS Cache using the CMD command ipconfig /flushdns, once in a while. This will fix the...
  3. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service: I'm having a problem with the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN when browsing through the internet. Also, if I play online games, I keep having sync issues. Normally, I would just flush the DNS Cache using the CMD command ipconfig /flushdns, once in a while. This will fix the...
  4. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue: Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes...
  5. How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Accessing the internet on your Windows computer is a complex process, and the DNS […] This article How to enable the DNS Client Service if greyed out in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. DNS Client Service Issue

DNS Client Service Issue: Hello. After getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in many websites, I tried to fix this by restarting the DNS client service. The problem is that there are no clickable buttons in the services window, and using cmd gives an error saying that the cammand was invalid and to...
  7. issue with DNS client service and large hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with DNS client service and large hosts file: When switching between a vpn and not, the DNS client service becomes active, maxing out at 25% cpu and all dns queries are unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes. I confirmed this is the hosts file, as I deleted most entries (used for blocking) and this issue went away. Any...
  8. DNS Client

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 16-04-2020 15:47:58 Event ID: 8020 Task Category: 1028 Level: Warning Keywords: User: NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Hostname Description: The system failed...
  9. Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.

Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.: Do you guys recommend a DDNS service that will update your own private domain name whenever your ip address changes? Namecheap seems good. It doesn't appear to make you use one of their domain names or charge you for using your own domain name. Registration seems to be...
  10. DNS Client Service will not start

DNS Client Service will not start: If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was disabled and I wanted to change it to Automatic but cannot from the Services utility. So I changed the Start value to 2 in...