Windows 10: My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT

Discus and support My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is not a new problem, and I am not the only one having it. The Internet has lots of posts asking the same question "how do we make the File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jagman, Jun 19, 2020.

1. jagman Win User

My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT

This is not a new problem, and I am not the only one having it. The Internet has lots of posts asking the same question "how do we make the File Explorer KEEP DETAIL AS THE DEFAULT.

In the ICON VIEW, the file name is hard to read and the icon takes up too much window space. Lots of posts will tell you how to MAKE IT DETAILS BUT on the next folder opening, UP POPS the blankity blank ICON.

Some posts asking how to keep DETAIL as the DEFAULT goes back over 8 years. I think for me, it has not been fixed in over 10 years.

Has anyone found a way to make DEFAULT STAY AS "DETAILS"? Even better, anyone found a way to DELETE "ICONS" view COMPLETELY from File Explorer.

:)

jagman, Jun 19, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 19, 2020
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 19, 2020
  4. My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT

File Explorer default veiw setting Win 10 Pro

Hi Bob,

You can change the default settings of your File Explorer view. If you would like to sort it by Date, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Go to Start, type File Explorer.
    • Select View located at the top of the address bar.
    • Locate Sort by.
    • Select Date.
    • Choose between Ascending and Descending.
    • Close the File Explorer and check back if the changes applied.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Ronalene Mat, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT

1. My Windows 10 FILE EXPLORER refuses to KEEP "DETAIL" as the DEFAULT - Similar Threads - FILE EXPLORER refuses

2. How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?: Hi,I would like to know if it's possible to modify the default detail options e.g. size, type, date modified in files explorers in Windows 11 Home?...
  3. How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify the default details options in File Explorer?: Hi,I would like to know if it's possible to modify the default detail options e.g. size, type, date modified in files explorers in Windows 11 Home?...
  4. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  5. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  6. Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10: On my computer, File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the icons view. That is useful sometimes, but by default, I want File Explorer to permanently open documents to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?By default, when I open File...
  7. Windows 10 updates default my computer to wifi and erases details in File Explorer

Windows 10 updates default my computer to wifi and erases details in File Explorer: Whenever I install what seems like an endless, at least bi-monthly number of Windows 10 updates, it defaults my wired desktop to WiFi. The only way I can see to get back to a wired connection is to go to Network settings and turn off WiFi. Then my desktop reverts to the...
  8. How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer TO DETAILS?

How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer TO DETAILS?: Win 10 FILE EXPLORER LOVES ICONS. The COMMUNITY "SAYS" you can change the view to DETAILS but mine from when Windows was released prefers ICONS. ONE can SET to DETAILS but on the next opening of a folder, here come the huge ICON. SURELY someone OR Microsoft must know how to...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer details view

Windows 10 File Explorer details view: I want Windows 10 File Explorer to always show detail view, without regard to the file types. I want the default view, for any and all drives (local, thumb drives, USB drives, DVDs, etc), to be detail view. No matter what type file, the view should always be details, even...
  10. Explorer always shows details by default

Explorer always shows details by default: Is it just me or someone else thinks that detail view is really outdated and now is just annoying. Any folder that you access, by default has lots of screen space occupied with 'unnecessary' details, forcing you to scroll down and seek further to find what you're looking...