Windows 10: My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese

Discus and support My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, since I upgraded to Windows 10 a year ago I admit I've never looked at my firewall rules. But today I did and I was shocked - What on CPU is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Labsyboy, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Labsyboy Win User

My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese

Hi,

since I upgraded to Windows 10 a year ago I admit I've never looked at my firewall rules. But today I did and I was shocked - What on CPU is happening there? Gozillion of rules, a lot of them auto-generated and for most of them I have no idea what they do.

A lot of them open ALL TCP in ANY direction for ALL netoworks!!!

I've opted-OUT and disabled and if possible UNINSTALLED Xbox, Cortana, Bonjour, OneNote and other forced Microsoft bloatware, which came included in Windows install. But still a number of ports are opened INBOUND.

What's totaly not clear to me, why do some services need INBOUND line being open? Don't they update from INSIDE OUT, asking for updates and receiving the answer on opened channel? That way apps do not need inbound ports opened, just outbound, which are opened by default.

Am I behind, or is MS insane?

See examples:

AllJoyn router

App Installer

Cast To Device (qWave)

CheckPoint VPN

Connect

Connected Devices Platform (TCP-In)
    DIAL protocol server (HTTP-In)
    f5.vpn.client

Feedback Hub

Groove Music

JuniperNetworks.JunosPulseVpn
    Mail and Calendar

SonicWALL.MobileConnect

One NOte, Print 3D, Sticky notes, Mail and Calendar, X-fakin-Box, Cortana, Bonjour...

:)

Labsyboy, Dec 8, 2018

2. Best free AV and firewall

Can Windows Firewall block outgoing connections yet? If not, it's one step above useless.

Look into Online Armor for a free firewall.

Deusxmachina, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 8, 2018
  4. My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese

Good Antivirus + Firewall

I would never put anything Norton on my computer.

Nod32 is arguably the best antivirus. AVG is likely not as good, but it's free and at least pretty good.

Firewalls, I'd put Comodo and whatever "Tiny Personal Firewall" is named nowadays on your short list. I think Kerio might have sold it now and it's named something else. Otherwise, just put Comodo on your short list. I think the current version's ease of use has taken a step backwards, seems a bit counter-intuitive when trying to do certain things with it, but overall it does a good job and the price is right.

Deusxmachina, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese

1. My Windows 10 Firewall is drilled like Swiss cheese - Similar Threads - Firewall drilled Swiss

2. how is the moon not made out of cheese

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how is the moon not made out of cheese: how is the moon not made out of cheese https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-the-moon-not-made-out-of-cheese/c93530b8-0e62-4615-ad34-0ee6cf7d2b9c
  3. how is the moon not made out of cheese

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how is the moon not made out of cheese: how is the moon not made out of cheese https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-is-the-moon-not-made-out-of-cheese/c93530b8-0e62-4615-ad34-0ee6cf7d2b9c
  4. Mouse and cheese verification puzzle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and cheese verification puzzle: For god´s sake please get rid of this or at least let us change in to the new kind of puzzle.I´m losing my mind, it´s impossible.You have to look super fast 6 s****y quality pictures and if you fail to find a wrong one you have to do this at least 20 times by one attempt. But...
  5. Mouse and cheese verification puzzle

Mouse and cheese verification puzzle: For god´s sake please get rid of this or at least let us change in to the new kind of puzzle.I´m losing my mind, it´s impossible.You have to look super fast 6 s****y quality pictures and if you fail to find a wrong one you have to do this at least 20 times by one attempt. But...
  6. using disk drill

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    using disk drill: Hi i recently used disk drill and when using it my computer sounded louder than usual. Did this hurt my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-disk-drill/d1b6062a-eef9-4077-a174-414c349d7c6d
  7. disk drill

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk drill: so recently i used disk drill and when i used it my pc sounded a little louder than usual did this hurt my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-drill/365490d5-0e1a-4c1b-9384-60fd63903cee
  8. Microsoft SCULPT in Swiss/Roman Qwertz ?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft SCULPT in Swiss/Roman Qwertz ?: Hi, I live in Europe. I would like to buy a Microsoft SCULPT keyboard but with a swiss/roman keyboard Qwertz. But I can't find it. A few years ago I bought one. I write in French and German so it's a bit complicated without the right keyboard . I supposed that in Switzerland...
  9. cheese

cheese: buy me cheese https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cheese/6632b67c-fe26-41f2-86f2-2efd3851e4c7
  10. Windows 10 firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 firewall: Since a couple of weeks, every times I start my computer at the end of the start up I got the notification that both firewall (Windows defender and my own Internet provider one) are not in fonction, I have talked to my Internet provider technical service and on their side...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firewall swiss cheese