Windows 10: My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?

Discus and support My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an old PC that had an OEM Windows 8 install (and i do have that product key) that died - My SSD completely crashed and I have to install a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CoachKinzie, May 5, 2019.

1. My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?

I have an old PC that had an OEM Windows 8 install (and i do have that product key) that died - My SSD completely crashed and I have to install a new hard drive and start over from scratch.

I still have my old Windows 8 install discs and the product keys, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to reinstall Windows using that disc, and then upgrade to Windows 10 using that same product key. Will I need to go buy a new version of Windows 10 to install?

:)

CoachKinzie, May 5, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, May 5, 2019
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, May 5, 2019
  4. puma99dk| Win User

My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, May 5, 2019
Thema:

My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?

1. My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall? - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade crashed

2. Reinstalling my windows 10 that was upgraded free from windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling my windows 10 that was upgraded free from windows 7: Dear All could you please help me to reinstall windows 10 after a computer crash, this was a free update from windows 7 many years ago, I have had to go bake and install my windows 7 disc but can find no way to reinstall windows 10 without being asked for a product key, can...
  3. Upgrade free to windows 10

Upgrade free to windows 10: Whats better from windows 7 or 8 ? I have licences for both but didnt want to purchase a furthur third. 160219
  4. Upgrade to 10 for free

Upgrade to 10 for free: Hi all,I did a little site searching but can't seem to find help with my question.My daughter has a 4 year old Asus desktop running 8.1.I have checked the specs. and it is capable of running 10.Is there a free option to download and install Windows10 and if so-how to do so....
  5. windows 10 free upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 free upgrade: I did the windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 and I cant get it activated due to product key or digital license i dont think i ever got a digital license information email or anything where can i find the license information to activate the free upgraded windows 10...
  6. clean reinstall of windows 10 free upgrade

clean reinstall of windows 10 free upgrade: I had Windows 7 and had a problem with my pc randomly freezing then i upgraded to the free windows 10 and i still have the radom freezing can i do a clean reinstall of windows 10 by delete the partitions of my hard drive, formatting it then do a clean install of win 10, if so...
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade is not Free: I have been using Windows 10 upgrade and having worked in IT support. I have been thinking about Microsoft and their motives. I decided to change my hard drive and Win 10 deactivated. I called MS and was told I had to reinstall qualifying product and do another upgrade. Soon...
  8. windows 10 reinstallation issues (free upgrade)

windows 10 reinstallation issues (free upgrade): To start, this has been a long and ugly journey for me. I'm at a point where I'm about to give up. My computer is a three-year old Toshiba laptop with a 64bit processcor and a 32 bit OS, 6GB. It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1, and after much badgering from MS, I...
  9. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024
  10. Windows 10 Reinstallation in case of computer crash for free upgraded

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Reinstallation in case of computer crash for free upgraded: Hi, Please guide me to thread or link which provides information as how we can make ISO file or Windows Image file for re-installation in case computer crashes for free upgrade users. Thanks 11191