Windows 10: My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?

Discus and support My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had installed Windows 10 via the media creation tool. It's been activated all this time, but today I looked at the activation tab and it tells me:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MJD, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MJD
    MJD Win User

My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?

I had installed Windows 10 via the media creation tool. It's been activated all this time, but today I looked at the activation tab and it tells me: "Your Windows license expires on Sunday, September 13th 2015. Contact your system admin to get a product key." What do I do now? Anyone else getting the same thing on their system? I have Windows 10 Home. Is it possible that Windows Update caused this bug?

:)

2. My windows 10 pro license says it will expire on the windows insider builds of Red-stone ever since the upgrade

All pre-release Windows 10 have expiration dates. What the expiration date means is that Windows will no longer work after the expiration date. The remedy is to re-install another build of Windows 10 (same edition) that has not reached an expiration date
    (or never will). It is then automatically activated by the device as soon as the device next connects to the internet. An expired build does not affect the Windows 10 license. That is recorded on Microsoft's servers and is permanent (per device).

Cbarnhorst, Aug 18, 2015
  3. chanying1 Win User
    Windows license expire soon

My laptop always display this message of windows license expire soon and directed me to settings. But when I go to the activation part, there is no button to activate nor does it shows the expiring date. The account is activated and up to date.

Would like to seek for solution as it keeps popping up.

Thank you

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install & upgrade

chanying1, Aug 18, 2015
  4. MJD
    MJD Win User

Anyone know anything at all about this?

5. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    Your Windows 10 is a legit update from an earlier Windows? Looks like it reverted back to 30-day trial. See if you can re-activate it, you ought to call Microsoft for this, gather everything you need, like your Product Key from your Windows 7, etc and call them up.

XweAponX, Aug 19, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Suggestion for slgmr rearm may work, just reboot afterwards, then can try alternatives.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

Should run slmgr /dlv and then /xpr

His version might be one of those that uses KMS activation, it has to be re-activated after a defined set of days.

XweAponX, Aug 19, 2015
  9. MJD
    MJD Win User
    I have a legit Windows 10 home copy yeah.

10. jds63 Win User
    Done like many others upgrade here with the Media Creation tool, not a bought disc. First time seeing this issue here.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  11. bbinnard Win User
    I had this same problem. There is only one way to fix it. You won't like the fix.

Well, actually there are 2 ways - the free way and the expensive way. The expensive way is to purchase a new Win10 license from Microsoft. If you have the Home version the license is $119. If you have the Pro version it is $199. If money is of little value to you then the expensive way is the way to go.

Otherwise you have to use the free way. There are only 2 steps you have to do:

1. Format your boot drive and install either Win7 or Win8 on it.
    2. Using the system you just installed, perform a free upgrade to Win10. The version of Win10 you upgrade to has to be the same as the version of 7 or 8 you previously installed.

The reason for this is that MS has totally and completely changed how Windows is activated. Starting with Win10 they have done away with those pesky 25-character codes. Instead they create and store on one of their serves a hardware hash code that is based on your specific hardware configuration. Apparently/supposedly this code is unique for every PC out there. I assume it uses the MIC address from the network card as part of the code, but no one knows this for sure.

At any rate, Win10 will only install a fully activated version on a PC for which it can find a valid configuration code. This is why you have to do the 10 upgrade on an existing Win7 or 8 system. Apparently that is when the configuration code gets generated - namely when you install 7 or 8. (Or maybe the code was generated by some subsequent update??)

Your Win10 has an expiration date because you installed it on a system for which MS does not have a configuration code. When this happens you get a 6-month "grace period" (mine ended 20 Jan 2016) during which time you are supposed to either do the free or expensive option above.

As has been pointed out to me by many people, the free upgrade is exactly that - free, and an upgrade. Period. You can only get Win10 for free if you upgrade from a previous legal/legit Win7 or 8 system. Nothing else will work.

bbinnard, Aug 19, 2015
  12. MJD
    MJD Win User
    My Windows 7 WAS legit. Activated without a hitch. 10 is shown as activated right now still, despite the expiry date. Right now I don't currently have the money to go buying a Windows 10 home license. That's pretty aggravating. Good ol MS and their loopholes. I'm glad I didn't delete my Windows 7 files yet. At least I can go back to it if I can't get it to activate once it "expires".... I still haven't tried the slmgr /rearm command. The weird thing is that my cousin did the same thing and used the same tool for his laptop, and he's fine, no expiration message or anything, his desktop in his basement has the same thing that I have though. His Windows 7 was also genuine I'm pretty sure.

My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do? [​IMG]

This is what my activation screen is saying at the moment.

Well, I guess then that there's really nothing that anyone can do about this.

13. Superfly Win User

Run the following in command prompt:

slmgr /dlv

to check licence status, as XweAponX suggested..

Superfly, Aug 19, 2015
  14. If you would like to avoid a complete re-install and you have a spare harddisk lying around then you can
    follow this procedure to create the hash code needed on Microsoft's servers.
    Then the next time you run your Windows 10 again it should activate since the hash code is present *Smile

- create a Windows 10 installation USB stick or burn it to DVD
    - disconnect all your harddisk in the PC
    - only connect the spare harddisk
    - clean install your Windows 7 on this disk with the key you own
    - no need to install any updates ! (takes so much time)
    - run the setup.exe from the Windows 10 USB stick / DVD you made
    - When this clean Windows 10 is up and running, shut it down, you don't need it anymore.
    - Disconnect the spare harddisk
    - reconnect all your normal harddisks
    - Windows 10 should now activate automatically, maybe you need to use slmgr /ato to force it.

Good luck ! *Biggrin

FakeMoustache, Aug 19, 2015
  15. To the last post, I would add that you need to confirm that Win10 (1) is activated and (2) does not have an expiration date -- BEFORE you shut it down and disconnect the drive.

Mark Phelps, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do? - Similar Threads - has activation expiration

2. My Windows 10 has NOT expired

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My Windows 10 has NOT expired: My tablet came with Windows 10 32bit. Manufacturer confirmed Windows 10 does not expire on any of their products. Windows Script Host readout included Window up-dates always functioned correctly.Recently allowed a "security software rep" remote access to my tablet. The issue...
  3. Have a Windows 10 Education that is expiring. What do I do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Have a Windows 10 Education that is expiring. What do I do?: So I bought a laptop for college 5 years ago that came with Windows 10. A couple years later, I started getting pop ups to say to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I knew my uni also gave free Windows 10 licenses so I took my laptop to IT and they installed it for me. I didn't...
  4. Windows 10 KMS activation expires soon, what will happen??

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 KMS activation expires soon, what will happen??: Hello, so I'm coming with an important question. So I activated my Windows 10 with a KMS key, now windows keeps informating me to active windows. What will happen if I don't active windows, will my windows be blocked or will the watermark pop up and some options will not be...
  5. Windows 10 expiration date has changed

Windows 10 expiration date has changed: Welcome I bought a brand new HP laptop and I was the first one to use it, the information as below: licensed Windows 10 professional. Configured activation type: KMS. Volume activation expiration: 180 days. I don`t know whether they`re the cause or not, but I think it`s...
  6. Expiration Date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Expiration Date: Hey since last few days my laptop's windows has been showing this message that your license will be expired so soon. My license was activated by an organization and when I am checking the setting status of the activation there is no alarm there for this trouble. Now what...
  7. Expiring date after upgrading to Windows 10

Expiring date after upgrading to Windows 10: So today I decided to do the free upgrade to Windows 10. But before that I was running on a Windows 10 Insider Preview (clean installation). So everything went normal, it shows that my Windows is activated but when I type in the command menu "slmgr /xpr" it shows me that my...
  8. Windows 10 License has Expired

Windows 10 License has Expired: Why... ?? Digital Entitlement and Digital License are 1 Years Expired or Limited Expired or Lifetime Device ??? [img] 59762
  9. Windows 10 expiring activation problem

Windows 10 expiring activation problem: I have a pop up message appearing on the screen saying the licence will expire 15 August, need to activate Windows in Settings. Contact admin to get product key. When I go to Settings it says Windows is activated and Product ID as well as Product Key is listed. I have...
  10. Windows 10TP builds expiration dates

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10TP builds expiration dates: Useful info about Windows 10TP Official builds expiration dates and what will happen when a build expires. The expiration dates for Windows 10 Technical Preview vary by build number. The table below summarizes the expiration dates for each of the builds we’ve released...