Windows 10: My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem

Discus and support My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Two days ago, I noticed a problem with my search bar on the start-up menu to be more precise, everything was cool, I put my PC to... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SylEcole, Dec 28, 2020.

1. SylEcole Win User

My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem

Hi everyone,

Two days ago, I noticed a problem with my search bar on the start-up menu to be more precise, everything was cool, I put my PC to sleeping mode so I could continue my work after and went down to prepare to table for Christmas, I came back some hours later and then the problem occured. It just didn't appear when I start typing and when I click on themagnifying glass icon, nothing happens. I've seen multiple posts where people said to use the following commands :-

• sfc /scannow -> crashes at 5% saying that " windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
    • chkdsk /F sometimes /R -> crashes but I forgot the error msg since I have to reboot my computer to do this and I waste something like 4-5h, which I cannot since I have a lot of work to finish to the end of the month.
    • dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth or CheckHealth -> crashes at 18.7% saying that "The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table" with the error 4448.

But all of these crashes at some point. I then found a blog article where someone linked a video saying that you could use the media creation tool to basically do a fresh install of Windows 10 and keeping every files/applications you have, which is really important for me. So I tried to use it but then I have the following error :

error 8007042b-4001E

Installation failed Phase SECOND_BOOT with PRE_OOBE error.

I have read that this error might be due to low space storage, I have 115 Go free so I guess that's not it.

I use a Samsung SSD that I got one year ago and I don't know if the problems started this long ago but until 2 days ago I hadn't any problem with the search bar and I had an HDD before that. I formatted it once all the data I had on it was successfully set on the SSD and decided to keep it as a second disk to store some things. Ihave seen recently, using CrystalDiskInfo that the HDD had problems something like 2 "incorrigble problems" and two partitions with problems. I thought it might come from there and so I disconnected it but I still have troubles with my start-up menu.

Maybe something else worth mentionning is that when I try to launch some games I had an error saying that "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\D3DCompiler_42.dll has an error or is not made to work under Windows", I don't know if it's related or not.

I really don't know what to do and it kinda worries me.

If anyone has a solution, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks in advance

N.B. : English is not my mother tongue, so there might be grammatical errors but the error messages should be correctly translated, if something's not clear enough, don't hesitate to ask and I'll explain myself better :

:)

SylEcole, Dec 28, 2020

2. Problems upgrading to Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool.

Hi Abel,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Which operating system are you currently running on your computer?

• Is you’re your anti-virus utility software disabled?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile I suggest you to try the steps provided below and
    check if it helps.

Method 1

Perform a clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows
    10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Clean Boot:

Notes

• You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot.

• Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or
      experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.

• If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced
      boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
    I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below, in order to perform a clean boot on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

I also suggest you to refer to the link below for more information about downloading Media Creation Tool.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 28, 2020
  3. windows media creation tool problem

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• How did you create the media creation tool?

• Form which operating system are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10?
    The issue you are facing could be due to the file is corrupt. Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps. You can follow the below link on Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool and try.

Windows 10 herunterladen

Before you install Widows 10 please follow the below provide link and go through the information.

Specification for Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 28, 2020
  4. My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem

creation of windows 10 media

Hi Jithesh,

You might face this issue if the downloaded setup file is corrupted.

• Did you try to download the setup again?
    • Did you try to upgrade through Windows Update?

First, I would suggest you to try updating through Windows Update and check if you are able to upgrade to Windows 10. If you are unable to upgrade through Windows Update, then I would suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO again and save it locally
    on the desktop and then try to run the upgrade.

Media creation tool

Windows 10 herunterladen

Let us know the results.

Rohit Siddegowda, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem

1. My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem - Similar Threads - might corrupted cannot

2. Problems with the Media Creation Tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with the Media Creation Tool.: Split from this thread. I've downloaded the media creation tool, watched it check for issues, make file changes. It tells me it's going to restart my computer several times, but only does that once and then the process stops. Have I done something incorrectly or might there...
  3. problem using media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem using media creation tool: I have tried unsuccessfully to create a windows 10 USB boot drive. I keep getting the following error: 0x0200013-0x90019. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-using-media-creation-tool/0f5bb36a-03bc-4d03-8d95-dcc215cc73a0
  4. windows 10 media creation tool problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 media creation tool problem: in the creation tool i downloaded and ran as admin in the edition it just says windows 10 it wont let you choose other wise and needs to be fixed so just to let you guys know that might wanna look into it so yeah...
  5. Problems with Media Creation Tool

Problems with Media Creation Tool: Trying to setup Media Creation Tool...have used previously but now it will not 'install/setup' per attached jpg ? What could I be doing wrong here... ? Trying to do repair install of my Win 10 Pro 64bit system... Thanks....TiminAz 68219
  6. media creation tool problem

media creation tool problem: hello i want to upgrade my pc to win 10 when i want to download from media creation tool , after choosing upgrade this pc [img] please help me and thank you 9502
  7. Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool

Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool: Hello The tech I have been working with told me to download the WMC tool to help straighten out my W10 system. He said I will need a 6 gig flash drive. I downloaded the tool to another computer and it is only a 17 MBT .exe file? Why do I need a 6 gig flash drive for this...
  8. Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool

Cannot Download Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool: Hi - I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft Website and have run it three times in the last day to attempt to download Windows 10 production release to a blank USB. I want to try it out on an older pc before upgrading any of our everyday pc's. The first...
  9. Media Creation Tool Problems

Media Creation Tool Problems: Hi, Hope someone can help here. More Windows 10 s**t that is driving me mad! D/loaded the media creation tool hoping to put Win 10 on a USB to repair my daughters Win 10 installation on an ASUS eeePC (no optical drive). Running the tool on a Win 7 Home pc (64-bit)...
  10. Problem with the Media creation tool

Problem with the Media creation tool: I download the Windows image twice via the media creation tool. The file sizes though same, had different hashes(SHA1). If the images are identical, why the different hashes. Needless to say, the hashes don't obviously match with their MSDN counterpart. Why is this...