Windows 10: My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always

Discus and support My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an Acer Nitro 5 with windows 10 home basic single language and after a full reset my laptop stutters and hangs whenever i use any app . Even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ZEKBOTgaming, Jun 6, 2020.

1. My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with windows 10 home basic single language and after a full reset my laptop stutters and hangs whenever i use any app . Even while watching a video on windows movie player the movie stops abruptly in between and resumes when left undisturbed for a while and i cannot even play CS:GO which used to run smoothly on my laptop before the reset and the Microsoft support team has also not been able to find out the disk active time error and i noticed it when i opened my task manager and saw that whenever it laggs or stutters the disk active time reaches and stays at 100% and when it comes down my laptop is working smoothly . Please help as i have a lot of meetings everyday to attend and due to this error i am unable to attend the meetings as even Zoom crashes.

:)

ZEKBOTgaming, Jun 6, 2020
  2. psgf Win User

100% Disk Activity Time and HDD health

Thanks for your replies!

Philc43, that list varies a lot. Sometimes it shows 100% without any of the processes listed actually using it. In the resource monitor, even with few processes and low read/write rates, it frequently reaches 100% activity time, as in the screenshot. Clues?

Dalchina, I had tried all of these, except the Rapid Storage one. The performance actually got better (it was nearly unusable before). I don't know if it's the case, but I'll check it.

psgf, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Cursor Hanging and 100% Disk Activity causing instability.

I have Windows 10 running on my laptop. My laptop touch pad cursor seems to hang a lot while browsing. I am running latest synaptics touch-pad driver.

Windows 10 upgraded via Technical Preview builds.

I have also witnessed continuous 100% disk activity causing following issues:

• Start and Search takes time to load.
    • Characters typed in search box takes time to appear.
    • System is too slow at startup. Note: I have checked startup apps. No unwanted apps are running in background.
    • Cursor hangs (mostly when browser is ON like IE or Edge or Firefox) for minutes, although clicks are working.
    • Sometimes apps crash at launch. E.g. code writer was working this morning, but later in noon after reboot, it is crashing continuously.
    • All apps list takes time to appear.
    • Log in screen takes time to load. It gets stuck at Ctrl + Alt + Delete, with no time and date below it.
    • Cannot set lockscreen wallpaper.

My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always b592c5b8-a480-450e-b9e4-754774510f3f.png

My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always d8b4b3bd-be1f-493e-9a40-224dc0474d21.png

Gupta Varun, Jun 6, 2020
  4. My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always

Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always

1. My Windows 10 stutters and hangs when the disk active time reaches 100% always - Similar Threads - stutters hangs disk

2. SSD active time always at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD active time always at 100%: So basically my SSD active time always at 100%. It stays lower after a full computer restart and also I have to shut off the power supply. As well when when I restart my PC it takes very long time. Most of the time the problem starts after I turn on chrome and other browsers....
  3. SSD active time always at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD active time always at 100%: So basically my SSD active time always at 100%. It stays lower after a full computer restart and also I have to shut off the power supply. As well when when I restart my PC it takes very long time. Most of the time the problem starts after I turn on chrome and other browsers....
  4. SSD active time always at 100%

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. hard disk always at 100% active time/usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk always at 100% active time/usage: Hello everyone, i just wanna ask how to fix this problem i have right now. I've been using this laptop for a year and i just recently discovered that my hard disk is always at 100% usage. I also wanna know how to fix it and what's the reason why is it happening....
  6. hard disk always at 100% active time/usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard disk always at 100% active time/usage: Hello everyone, i just wanna ask how to fix this problem i have right now. I've been using this laptop for a year and i just recently discovered that my hard disk is always at 100% usage. I also wanna know how to fix it and what's the reason why is it happening....
  7. Disk always at 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk always at 100%: My disk is always at 100% so I decided to reset my pc. But unfortunately, it is still 100% no matter what. Open chrome 100%, open AV 100%, open office 100%. When standby, system 100%. Memory is at 70%-80% and some processor goes up too. What could be the problem? What if I...
  8. My Disk is always 100 %

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My Disk is always 100 %: In task manager my laptop shows disk 100% always. I tried all the method recommended but its not working. How to solve this one and why it shows disk 100%?. And please share what happens if it always 100 %....
  9. My disk is always at 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My disk is always at 100%: Hello everybody, first let me start by saying that this laptop was my parents and not mine. They bought one better so they gave me this one and I reset laptop and I notice I was getting 100% disk without even doing or downloading something. I asked my parents and they told me...
  10. SSD Disk Active time 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Disk Active time 100%: Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus / Antispyware - Drivers update...