Windows 10: My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what?

Discus and support My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This past week I was using my system with Excel, Word and Edge. Suddenly a pop-up dialog box said my Adobe Flash was out of date. I figure what the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TemporaryUser0101, Mar 24, 2019.

1. My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what?

This past week I was using my system with Excel, Word and Edge. Suddenly a pop-up dialog box said my Adobe Flash was out of date. I figure what the heck I should update it, so I clicked within the box to update my system. One of the biggest mistakes of my life! The result is that programs were downloaded I didn't want, ask for and know I was getting including some dangerous software. The following was downloaded at the least:

Opera Browser

Chromium Software

Facebook Taskbar Icon

Chromium Software

WinZip

WinZip Driver Update

WinZip Smart Monitor

SpeedDial

PC Tonics

WinTonicFreeFileViewer

FreeFileViewer

HotSpotShield

ByteFence*

Questions:

1. When I attempted to enter this info, the formatting became all screwed up. In fact, I had the info in an Excel file in my system which I attempted to copy and paste piece by piece and it became so messed up I had to delete it and start new in a new form. WHY?

2. How can I possibly find one place where the disastrous download and install occurred? Can I undo all the issues where this happened, or

3. Must I somehow remove all this software one by one and how?

4. since this "hijacking" took place, I have had all kinds of "permission" errors especially when I attempt to save an image or a file in Excel or Word - why

5. How can I avoid this happening in the future as the dialog box that began this all looked 100% authentic and I had no idea there were other programs involved in the download and install.

6. When I finally get my system cleaned out, I want to then download and install the SpeedDial from the authentic location so I do not get hijacked again, or is this a bad idea. I didn't really use it but it looked useful.

7. Does anyone know of any issues with ByteFence?

8. Why didn't Defender stop this?

9. I also intend to install WinZip from the official site.

10. OF all this, have I missed anything?

11. Can anyone recommend a GREAT anti-virus, anti-malware combined program that works extremely well?

I do believe this is all. However, I do not understand why Adobe has not caught this and stopped it, either manually or legally and further, if there are legitimate programs. I would like to stress, I have basically been unable to use my system since this all happened due to all the issues and errors and problems and concerns so I desperately need help and appreciate all who attempt to do so.

Thank you!

Details:

Windows 10

Office 365

Lenovo Desktop

Memory: Tons and Tons!

Storage: 2T

1T internal

1T external

Quick question: IS there any issue with saving all my data files on an external hard drive?

:)

TemporaryUser0101, Mar 24, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 24, 2019
  3. Browser hijacked by safesurfs.com Malware

After reading what you went through I would strongly suggest you read the advice of Monkey57 and try his steps. Normally

Browser hijackers
    don't show this kind of behavior and more could be going on. Normally I don't suggest Resetting your computer but in this case....

Yuri Pustjens, Mar 24, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what?

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Mar 24, 2019
Thema:

My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what?

1. My Windows 10 System has been hijacked - now what? - Similar Threads - System has been

2. Windows installer hijacking system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installer hijacking system: Seriously Microsoft! Can you program your installer to know when it's on a hard drive and not hijack the system and tap out the hard drive just to install your updates? It's annoying to lose a day of work because you've program the installer to work on solid state drives and...
  3. My system has been infected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My system has been infected: Hi guys,My system does not open most of my files, and it has a .pahd extension. Pls what might be the possible cause and how do I fix it.I have important files and apps!! And I don't wanna loose them.Thanks in advance...
  4. Program has hijacked my HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program has hijacked my HDD: Alrighty so here a weird one for you. A while back my GF downloaded 'Age of Empire 1 complete v1.0c' and ever since then that's been the name of the HDD it's installed on. Weird right? Well weirder yet is the fact that despite deleting renaming the HDD, deleting the AOE...
  5. Windows 10 - Home network has been hijacked by an unknown windows server.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Home network has been hijacked by an unknown windows server.: Hi all, i have been struggling for the last two months and im running out of ideas on how to regain my network/pc’s full control. So i’m pretty new to a lot of this so please bare with me if i get some things incorrect. From what i can tell my network has DNS set up, DHPC...
  6. Outlook 2010 has been hijacked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook 2010 has been hijacked.: Outlook 2010 has been hijacked. When I change password with host, and then update password on computer, some nitwit captures password and passes it around the flat globe. I've done a defender scan, and MS Malware scan with 0 finds. What should I do? Currently access host...
  7. Malware has been attacked to my system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Malware has been attacked to my system: [ATTACH] Every time I turn my PC on or restart it forfiles run on command prompt. I was trying to install a software due to which a malware has been added into my system. I scanned my system and found trojan which I deleted. Now, if I scan it again antivirus does not show...
  8. IE has hijacked my page

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IE has hijacked my page: Since the last windows 10 upgrade I can no longer click on a link in an e-mail and have it open in my preferred browser, Edge. It tries to open in IE which I deleted. I changed my default to Firefox but the links still won't open. Why is this happening and how do I fix it....
  9. IE 11 has been hijacked

in Browsers and Email
    IE 11 has been hijacked: I have recently upgraded to window 10 and with it came IE 11 and Edge. I prefer to use IE 11 over the current version of Edge. When I start IE 11 from the task bar even though the home page is designated to be www.Bing.com I end up on a My-Search page with an annoying message...
  10. Strange "SYSTEM" drive has been appears on "My Computer". What's it's?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange "SYSTEM" drive has been appears on "My Computer". What's it's?: After last night i have re-turn on my computer about five minutes ago............ i see on "My Computer" i have a new "strange" system drive named F: (C and D it's my HD... E it's dvd burner) whit label "SYSTEM" and i have tryed to access and result inaccessible. The size...