Windows 10: My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10

Discus and support My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! I just upgraded PC and used to have the Home Pro version of Windows 7 on CD, but during installation my CD would turn off both my mouse and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Valérie_G, Jul 22, 2019.

1. My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10

Hello!

I just upgraded PC and used to have the Home Pro version of Windows 7 on CD, but during installation my CD would turn off both my mouse and keyboard so I couldn't proceed.

I decided to reinstall Windows with the Tool for it that you put on a USB, on the Microsoft website and all went fine. Windows is installed and is working, but it won't let me activate my product with my Windows 7 key.

Isn't it suppose to work since it's just an upgrade? I'm suppose to be able to use the same product key I had.

I tried troubleshooting and all that they proposed on their Help FAQ, but nothing worked. The error it gives me is (0x803f7001).

Can someone help me or will I have to buy a whole new copy of windows all-together?

Thank you!

:)

Valérie_G, Jul 22, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jul 22, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Jul 22, 2019
  4. My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10

1. My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10 - Similar Threads - key won't activate

2. Windows 7 key won't activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 key won't activate: Hi,I've been having to do some work in Windows 7 and I've been using a Windows 7 Pro key that I have.I have activated it several times in VirtualBox since I was having issues with the installation Windows 7 update not working. No issues activating the Windows key. This was...
  3. Windows 7 key won't activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 key won't activate: Hi,I've been having to do some work in Windows 7 and I've been using a Windows 7 Pro key that I have.I have activated it several times in VirtualBox since I was having issues with the installation Windows 7 update not working. No issues activating the Windows key. This was...
  4. Windows 10 won't activate after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 won't activate after hardware upgrade: I've recently changed my motherboard and CPU, both things I have done before without problem, however this time my Windows is saying that I have not activated Windows. I cannot find my Product key, I bought Windows for this PC years and years ago. I've run through the...
  5. Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key: I have a PC that I've been running for many years and it originally had Windows XP which was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro using a purchased Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key. This PC was then later upgraded for free to Windows 10, however the hard drive has failed and I'm replacing the...
  6. My Windows 10 will not activate with my Windows 7 Key

My Windows 10 will not activate with my Windows 7 Key: I have an older computer that was not functioning properly, partly from a failed upgrade to win 10 when they first offered it. So, in an attempt to rehab the computer I grabbed the window 7 Pro key from it XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX format then wiped the drives. I...
  7. Won't activate Windows 10, but will activate Windows 7, same key.

Won't activate Windows 10, but will activate Windows 7, same key.: I clean installed Windows 10 Pro x64 in VMware and used a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 key to try to active it. No go. However, Installing windows 7 Ultimate x64 in hyper-v, the same key activates win 7. Any ideas? 29249
  8. Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to do a clean install. I made an installation disc with the program from Microsoft's website and did the procedure, skipping...
  9. Windows 7 key after upgrade

Windows 7 key after upgrade: HI, searching around with no luck. If I upgrade to 10 with my legal copy of win 7 can I then turn around and install my copy of win 7 on my second pc legally. 41557
  10. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key: Hey guys I'm kinda stuck here. Our company has a Windows 7 "Upgrade" key that we use on all of our machines and we're trying to find a way to fresh install Windows 10 using that key but it's giving us an invalid response. If we upgrade the machine from the current Windows 7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 wont activate

2. windows 10 upgrade wont activate

3. ACTIVATE WINDOWS 10 WITH WINDOWS 7 KEY AFTER UPGRADE

4. windows7 upgrade key windows 10,
  5. my windows 7 key wont activate windows 10,
  6. windows 7 upgrade to 10 now wont activate,
  7. win 7 upgrade to win 10 wont activate