Windows 10: My windows activation key isn't working

Discus and support My windows activation key isn't working in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm booting windows 10 pro onto a new pc. The license key I have is from someone else I know who bought it a while ago and used it on his laptop. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by askingaquestion102, Aug 8, 2020.

1. My windows activation key isn't working

I'm booting windows 10 pro onto a new pc. The license key I have is from someone else I know who bought it a while ago and used it on his laptop. The activation key works for 5 uses.

I installed windows off a usb and put in the license key, and it worked until I tried to change my wallpaper and it told me that I hadn't activated windows. I put the key in again and it still didnt work ive also tried a couple of the universal keys and they don't work either.

I kinda just ignored it and went off to do something else on my pc, but now I've just come back after a few hours and my desktop now has that watermark you get telling you to activate windows which wasn't there before.

I've also downloaded an app to check the license key and it says it's perfectly fine, and it should work.

Does anyone know what's up with this? Cause I really don't want to spend £200 on a new lisence key.

:)

askingaquestion102, Aug 8, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

activate windows 7 oem key

You cannot activate a retail version of Windows with an OEM key.
    The retail version should have it's own activation key.
    If you just borrowed the Win DVD from someone who is using the key, that won't work with your OEM (OA) key.

pwned by newtekie. lol My bad.
    It does work in Vista and 7, just not in XP.

Have you looked on the ASUS website to see if you can re-download the driver/diag disk, or at least everything you need to make one?

Kreij, Aug 8, 2020
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Windows 8.1 pro + WMC key activation

This worked for me last time with a Win 8 key.

Install Windows 8.1 and enter KMS key during setup. Once in windows change product key to my Windows 8 key. Go to add features and enter my WMC add-on key. Drink a beer to a job well done.

FX-GMC, Aug 8, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

My windows activation key isn't working

activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

My windows activation key isn't working

1. My windows activation key isn't working - Similar Threads - activation key isn't

2. My product key isn't working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My product key isn't working: I had my PC setup and never had windows activated. I have now bought on and it says that no product key can be found, I bought the product on the windows website. I've tried many things, but nothing is working....
  3. Why isn't my Windows-Key working?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why isn't my Windows-Key working?: I recently bought an SSD disk for my computer. I have now installed it and fixed all of my problems with windows and so on. But when I went to activate Windows with my key, it just says that it's a fake version of Windows and that I have to buy a new one. Is it because I used...
  4. Why isn't my Windows-Key working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my Windows-Key working?: I recently bought an SSD disk for my computer. I have now installed it and fixed all of my problems with windows and so on. But when I went to activate Windows with my key, it just says that it's a fake version of Windows and that I have to buy a new one. Is it because I used...
  5. Why isn't my Windows-Key working?

6. My Windows Key isn't working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows Key isn't working.: My windows key doesn't seem to work, I recently reset my pc and yeah my windows key was working fine before that, but now after I have reset the pc nothing happens when I press the windows key. I can manually open the start menu via the mouse but not with the key. I also...
  7. My Windows Key isn't working.

My Windows Key isn't working.: My windows key doesn't seem to work, I recently reset my pc and yeah my windows key was working fine before that, but now after I have reset the pc nothing happens when I press the windows key. I can manually open the start menu via the mouse but not with the key. I also...
  8. My Windows Key isn't working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. My = key isn't working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My = key isn't working.: So a few days ago I noticed that my keyboard wasn't registering my = sign when I typed it out. Instead when I click the equals key for the first time, it acts as if it were a right click, and brings up the menu options. It will only do that once, however, and then after...
  10. My windows key on keyboard isn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My windows key on keyboard isn't work: Hello everyone. I have problem on my keyboard it is my windows key or start key not working what can i do ?? My laptop is HP Omen the windows key still work for 2 weeks and stop work and the Shortcuts like windows key + R to open Run program isn't work. I don't know is this...