Windows 10: My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB

Discus and support My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had well, still have I guess an i7-980 with two SATA HDD and Win 10 Pro 2004 10.0.19042.867. The Windows version has been upgraded all the way from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TomCoulter, Mar 31, 2021.

1. My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB

I had well, still have I guess an i7-980 with two SATA HDD and Win 10 Pro 2004 10.0.19042.867. The Windows version has been upgraded all the way from Win7 when it was new. I wanted to switch to an SSD, and originally planned to get a a SATA SSD. Instead, I found a deal on an i5-10400 and MB combo and bought a NVMe 1TB drive to go with it.

I moved the HDD's and video card onto the new motherboard and started it up. As expected, Windows ran some updates but when completed it now says I have Windows Professional 2009 10.0.19042.867, and it is not activated and Windows says it cannot find a product key, Error code 0xC004F213. Any help on activating Windows?

As my Windows installation has been upgraded through the various versions over the years via Windows free upgrade offers, I don't have a product key, and there's no chance in heck I'll find the paperwork with the Win7 version that came with it. I've long since reformatted that partition of the OE drive that contained the software anyway. I wouldn't think switching the MB and processor should have an effect, as they been replaced before and the OE boot drive became my backup drive years ago. I have yet to install the NVMe drive as I was debating whether to move the installed OS over to it or do a clean installation and then re-install all my software.

:)

TomCoulter, Mar 31, 2021
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

@robajz,

If you will notice, the title of this thread is, "How to stay activated with a new MB/processor." Our answers were geared towards that specific situation. Your situation of simply replacing HDDs with SSDs is entirely different.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2021
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 31, 2021
  4. mshimala Win User

My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB

1. My Windows became un-activated after upgrading to a new processor/ MB - Similar Threads - became activated upgrading

2. Windows UN-Activated after update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows UN-Activated after update: Hello, I'll try to give my best description on what happened.I've bought a pre-built PC and it was running perfectly fine, with windows 10 installed.I changed the mother board and CPU, again windows was running perfectly fine at least 6 months. Up until last week I allowed...
  3. Windows UN-Activated after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows UN-Activated after update: Hello, I'll try to give my best description on what happened.I've bought a pre-built PC and it was running perfectly fine, with windows 10 installed.I changed the mother board and CPU, again windows was running perfectly fine at least 6 months. Up until last week I allowed...
  4. Windows UN-Activated after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor

Windows not activating after I upgraded my motherboard and processor: I've just upgraded my motherboard and processor and windows will not activate. I'm guessing it appears to be a whole new device maybe? If so, is there any way I can deactivate it on the old device and activate it on the new one?...
  6. Upgrading an Un-activated Windows 10

Upgrading an Un-activated Windows 10: I am upgrading my old Hard Drive to an M.2 with a un-activated thumb drive (the license i have on the old one was from my old school and thus a 1 time use). I can install the un-activated version onto my new hard drive, and im wondering if i can then just use an upgrade...
  7. How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.

How to stay activated with a new MB/processor.: Hi, been using computers since the 60's. First was an IBM 7040 (serial #2). Lots of Burroughs, Honeywell, Sperry, IBM and a few other brands of mainframes over the years. Multiple brands of mini-computers. My first home PC was an IBM AT with EGA graphics; it was the first AT...
  8. Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades

Windows 10 not activating after processor and motherboard upgrades: hi! need help since suddenly my copy of windows 10 cannot activates on my pc, recently I just upgraded my processor and motherboard. I have a retail windows 10 license upgraded from my windows 8.1 license. the new device appears on my Microsoft account but windows 10 refuses...
  9. Moving Activation to a new MB

Moving Activation to a new MB: I am a developer who does work for the VA and a DoD contractor. I am under orders to change-out my Intel MB for an AMD Threadripper one. I don't make the rules - I just have to follow them. I am on W10 Pro x64... How do I move my license from my existing MSI MB and...
  10. Upgrading new processor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading new processor: Hello Forum. Its time for me to upgrade my processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor since the current one in my system is from 2008. It's almost a decade, and I'm quite happy with it, but now I need to upgrade it, since Im looking to do music recording, as I have...