Windows 10: My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

Discus and support My Windows Boot Manager is gone! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all!I am setting up a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) in a 2 year old desktop pc. I had Windows 10 reinstalled just a couple days ago In my 1 Tb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by drpeppercan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

Hi all!I am setting up a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) in a 2 year old desktop pc.
    I had Windows 10 reinstalled just a couple days ago In my 1 Tb HD.
    Then I installed Ubuntu in my 120 Gb SSD.
    Then Grub was not found, so it would boot straight to Windows 10. Which I was expecting.
    Then I disabled fast startup in Windows 10, I forgot to disable fast boot in UEFI settings. I can't do the latter now because WBM is not available to boot from.
    Then I used bcdedit to set a new entry for Ubuntu: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi (I can't recall where I got it from, but here they have a very similar tutorial[/link]). I had used this trick before and it worked.
    Then I rebooted, but instead of showing me Grub, it was a black screen with two lines of text: Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press any key.
    Then I went in the BIOS, and that's when I no longer saw Windows Boot Manager as an option!
    I booted off from Boot Repair Disk, and supposedly fixed Grub, but I still can't see WBM, and even though I do see Ubuntu in Bios, it still yields the above line of text (Reboot and Select...). But BRD generated a report, here it is.

Presently, and temporarily, I am only able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 10 as long as I first boot off from a rEFInd Live USB drive. The rEFInd finds them both and allows me to choose.

Hopefully the BRD report can help you to see what's going on.
    The way I see it, I need to either remake/repair the MBR for Win10, or have it in the right disk. Something along those lines, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

:)

drpeppercan, Aug 27, 2018

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Aquinus Win User

My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

Partition management

Or at the very least, make sure that your hard drive boot order is correct, because it will take the first writable drive in the boot list to determine where to put the boot loader. As Jester suggested, pop the Windows install disk in, make sure your boot order is correct (or unplug the drive,) and run repair. It's really that simple.

Aquinus, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

1. My Windows Boot Manager is gone! - Similar Threads - Boot Manager gone

2. My pc boots into windows boot manager instead of my SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc boots into windows boot manager instead of my SSD: Ive had this issue before where my computer is working fine the day before , booting windows off my ssd and not having a single problem. To me turning it on the next day and only booting to windows boot manager. I go look in the bios and my ssd boot drive is no where to be...
  3. Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Boot Manager: Hi everyone, Over the past year, I’ve had issues where my computer starts up and I get a blue screen telling me the boot options are wrong I forget the exact wording. I use the Escape button to open the BIOS settings, where I change the boot for my first device to EUFI...
  4. Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Manager: Please help me fix Windows boot manager has been blocked by the current security policy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-boot-manager/7c342cd3-0a72-477d-86a5-b51058d5cec3
  5. Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10: Acer A5 laptop 500G NVME 250G Apacer SSD The laptop came with Win 10 Home installed on the 500G NVME I added the Apacer 250G SSD, using the supplied bracket and installed W10 Pro on that. Windows Boot Manager then offered a choice of systems. I decided to switch the...
  6. windows boot manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows boot manager: I have an asus x99-a motherboard. when I enter the bios boot menu there is a line Hard Drive BBS Priorities. I have two bootable dries, P3 and P7. They used to come up in the list showing they were using the widows boot manager. Recently windows boot manager has disappeared...
  7. Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Boot Manager: Something very concerning is happening to my windows, I just installed some windows update. And when it restarted itself I saw a blink of a Windows boot manager with some weird stuff in it. So I restarted it again to see what it is and now It says "Choose operating system to...
  8. My windows boot manager is missing

My windows boot manager is missing: So i turned on my pc yesterday and i got the screen "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" i then restart and go into bios and the only boot option is my hard drive the windows boot manager is missing and when i try...
  9. My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

in Windows 10 Support
    My Windows Boot Manager is gone!: Hi all!I am setting up a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) in a 2 year old desktop pc. I had Windows 10 reinstalled just a couple days ago In my 1 Tb HD. Then I installed Ubuntu in my 120 Gb SSD. Then Grub was not found, so it would boot straight to Windows 10. Which I was...
  10. Can't boot my Tablet. Windows Boot Manager boot failed.

Can't boot my Tablet. Windows Boot Manager boot failed.: Hi, I recently discovered this awesome forum, I'm wondering if someone can help me with this issue. I'm really desperate ... *Sick My tablet's model is Linx 1010 (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33Ghz, 2GB RAM) with Microsoft Windows 10 32 bits pre-installed on it. I have been using...