Windows 10: My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.

Discus and support My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am using windows 10 and the external drive worked fine until yesterday, I didn't dropped it or anything it just suddenly stopped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheRealMightyPenguin, Nov 24, 2020.

1. My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.

Hello everyone, I am using windows 10 and the external drive worked fine until yesterday, I didn't dropped it or anything it just suddenly stopped working on my laptop, it just crashes the file explorer, sometimes even the whole PC.

Some information that will probably be needed.

The laptop works with other external hard drives just fine.

The hard drive still works on my other PC.

Thanks for your time in advance.

submitted by /u/TheRealMightyPenguin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheRealMightyPenguin, Nov 24, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 24, 2020
  4. jsmin Win User

My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.

1. My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive. - Similar Threads - file explorer crashes

2. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  3. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  4. Happens constantly when opening file explorer to move files to external hard drive....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Happens constantly when opening file explorer to move files to external hard drive....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/odusoa [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/15xfugd/happens_constantly_when_opening_file_explorer_to/
  5. File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.: Hi.Whenever I plug my Seagate BackUp Plus 6 Tb drive File Explorer immediately quits after a few seconds of browsing. Then when i reopen it again, it appears to disconnect and connect the drive letter again, but without any prompt showing. I tried restarting it, I tried...
  6. My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My windows file explorer crashes when I open an external hard drive.: Hello everyone, I am using windows 10 and the external drive worked fine until yesterday, I didn't dropped it or anything it just suddenly stopped working on my laptop, it just crashes the file explorer. Some information that will probably be needed. The laptop works with...
  7. WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: My hard drive was normal until today. When I plug my hard drive into my computer, the Windows Explorer could not load the hard drive and it turned to be crashed without any error announcement. When I plug the hard drive out, my computer turned to normal. Is there any way to...
  8. External hard drive crashes windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive crashes windows explorer: My drive is partitioned into two, a 276 gb and a 16gb one. Both had the problem two days ago but I solved it in the big one formatting it. However, it won't let me do the same in the small one, even on third party programs (WBFS manager). Disk management doesn't do anything...
  9. Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive: I see so many threads for this issue, yet none of those threads have working answers :. I bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance Portable 2TB External Harddrive about a month ago, and finally got around to using it about a week ago. Used about 500Gb of the memory until it suddenly...
  10. My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash: I need help When I tried to open my external hard drive in the windows explorer, it crashes. Also, the loading in windows explorer takes forever when my external hard drive is plugged in. I different ways to format it but the windows explorer always crushes....