Windows 10: My windows installation is not identified in bootrec /fixboot

Discus and support My windows installation is not identified in bootrec /fixboot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I need to explain what exactly happened and what solutions I've tried First of all my windows 10 build 1909 was working just fine and was fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by choofe, Apr 4, 2021.

1. choofe Win User

My windows installation is not identified in bootrec /fixboot

Hi

I need to explain what exactly happened and what solutions I've tried

First of all my windows 10 build 1909 was working just fine and was fully updated. But windows update just constantly reminded me to update to 20H2 as support for my version soon will be ended I happened to understand that it gets support until 2022 or something. I just decided to do so. so I download update assistant for 20H2 and let it download the update.

after it finished downloading as it said so. it restart to do the update. but it stucked at 0% for near an hour. I just reset the PC and let it go back to previous windows so I do the update later.

in the startup it goes undoing changes made to the computer. after a 5-6 minutes it restarted and the same process happened. this goes on for like 6-7 times and it looked like a looped pointless chains of restarts.

I decided to repair the windows to get back to my old version

so I downloaded 20h2 iso image and made the bootable stick.

I boot from this stick and went on to repair section.

Running on legacy BIOS. No EUFI and efi. simple mbr.
    8 GB ram windows partition 78 gb on a 500GB HDD.

MB P7P55.

Now things that I observed:I have 3 separate HDD

1. C: is a 100 MB partition labeled "system reserved" on disk 0 with some files on it. It is marked as active as detail in diskpart says.

2. there is another 100 MB partition like the above but on the disk 1 it is marked active too but has letter D assigned

3.My original windows installed partition letter changed to L and also is on disk 0 but is not active.

4. In the RE and on choose another operating system I have 2 options : 1 windows rollback or something like this. and one Windows 10 Option. First Opt leads to the looped startups. The other just do some diagnosing system and goes on to RE and says couldn't resolve problem and provide similar RE options as stick boot.

Things I've tried and failed.

first of all I did chkdsk with repair option

I marked the windows installed partition as active. but Nothing.

I found out after restart this partition has letter C but cant boot.

I fixed mbr with a 3rd party bootable app I used bootrec /fixmbr but no luck after POST with orig partition active I received 0xc000034 error saying something is missing boot\bcd.

I used bootrec /fixmbr successfully

used bootrec/fixboot and received "Access is denied"

bootrec /scanos returns: 0 identified installed windows.

bootrec /rebuildbcd also returns just like scan os and exits.

Used bootsect to update the bootsectorI geuess like bootsect/nt60 c: /force as with no force option it says access denied

I even use ALL option to update all bootsect on all drives.

Even try to write a new.

Used bcdedit to backup and rename the bcd. no luck either.

bcdboot with any option returned "Failure when attempting to copy boot files".

I think there is a problem with the partition and it is somehow LOCKED or something. because any attempt to manipulate the boot sector or boot record fails.

Now Don't Tell me go for a clean install.

no bad HDD no new hardware no nothing. JUST fooled by update assistant.

:)

choofe, Apr 4, 2021
  2. Blaq Win User

Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found"

As posted above (images inline, this time):

List volume

My windows installation is not identified in bootrec /fixboot [​IMG]

List disk

Select disk 1
    List partition

Blaq, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Bootrec /fixboot - Access Denied Error

I am trying to repair Windows 10 on an Acer laptop.

The USB windows repair boot disc wont repair it automatically so went to the Troubleshoot menu and the command line tools where your articles suggest I try the following commands.

Bootrec /fixmbr, This seems to work.

Bootrec /fixboot This come back with an "Access Denied" message

Bootrec /rebuildbcd This finds the windows installation and asks to add to the boot list, which I say Yes and then it says it cannot find the path specified.

Is there any chance of a fix to this issue. I note many users have a problem with doing this.

BobBlundell1, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Ztruker Win User

Access denied on bootrec /fixboot

These are the commands and how to run them. No reason you should get Access denied.
    Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

1. My windows installation is not identified in bootrec /fixboot - Similar Threads - installation identified bootrec

2. can't resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  3. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  4. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  5. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Bootrec /fixboot access denied?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec /fixboot access denied?: My boot record got corrupted, I am unable to start Win10. I did all of the auto recovery options none had work. I am at the CMD and tried bootrec /fixboot but get access denied. I reformated boot partition to FAT32, copied boot files using bcdboot from \windows directory...
  7. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

"bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  8. Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found"

Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found": Using Macrium Reflect, I cloned my system SSD to a larger SSD, but the new SSD won't boot. (error 0xc000000e; this is obviously after powering down and disconnecting the old SSD.) This is on an old PC using BIOS booting and MBR disks. I created a Windows 10 installation DVD,...
  9. Access denied on bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied on bootrec /fixboot: Hello, I installed Windows 10 version 1809 recently. It crashed after a system restore and did not boot anymore. So I used the installation disk and tried out the inbuilt repair functions, which did not work. I also tried line commands, which worked expect bootrec /fixboot....
  10. bootrec /fixboot access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bootrec /fixboot access is denied: My Windows upgrade is failed and force the PC to power off while it is still writing to the disk, and appeared the blue screen error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". and I run the command "bootrec /fixboot", however, I received the "bootrec /fixboot access is denied" error...