Windows 10: My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap

Discus and support My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says my windows 10 copy is now unable to activate. I researched how i should go about upgrading my pc correctly to ensure i would still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Thomas119966, Dec 29, 2020.

1. My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap

As the title says my windows 10 copy is now unable to activate. I researched how i should go about upgrading my pc correctly to ensure i would still have my windows license in check, but apparently i did something wrong.

Let me walk you through what i did, first i ran a script that a few reddit users on a support community recommended, to find my key as i dont actually have the sticker anymore(was originally a windows 7 key but then upgraded during the free period to windows 10) it worked fine. then i ran the cmd command to remove the key from my old install before i started taking the pc apart, now that i have changed motherboard, cpu and harddrive, the key doesnt activate, im on the exact same windows version(fresh install), with the exact same hardware apart from the three things i changed out.

Am i screwed or is there something else i can try?

submitted by /u/Thomas119966
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Thomas119966, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Dec 29, 2020
  3. A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly

Hi,

With regard to your query, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to determine if this issue is coming from a hardware. To run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and search for Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices
      and follow the on-screen wizard.
    • Once it's done, reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Dec 29, 2020
  4. My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap

DVD player stopped working

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you.

• What do you refer by ‘DVD player stopped working’?

• Is the DVD drive not detecting DVD’s or is the drive itself not detected by Windows?
    I suggest you to follow the methods below if the DVD drive is not detected and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the DVD drive drivers check if it works for you. Follow the steps to uninstall the DVD drive drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the DVD drive listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap

1. My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap - Similar Threads - key has stopped

2. My windows 10 key got desactivated after swapping some hardware and i'm part of an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 key got desactivated after swapping some hardware and i'm part of an...: Hello, i recently swapped out pretty much everything in my computer except for the storage. Up until now it was doing just fine until i noticed that my windows 10 liscence got desactivated. I cannot reactivate it through the windows settings. I have no clue of what to do and...
  3. My windows 10 key got desactivated after swapping some hardware and i'm part of an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 10 key got desactivated after swapping some hardware and i'm part of an...: Hello, i recently swapped out pretty much everything in my computer except for the storage. Up until now it was doing just fine until i noticed that my windows 10 liscence got desactivated. I cannot reactivate it through the windows settings. I have no clue of what to do and...
  4. Windows activation after hardware swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after hardware swap: Switched out my motherboard. Windows claims that it isn't activated anymore. My windows key is tied to my account, which happens to be the only account on the system. Troubleshoot activation says I'm not connected to the internet. Turned off firewall to no success, then...
  5. Hardware swap windows key confusion.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hardware swap windows key confusion.: I'm using an HP 15-r011dx laptop and want to upgrade HDD to SSD so I'm confused that do I have to buy new windows or it'll take the key automatically. If it takes automatically how does it work? Do I download windows from the official website and install it from the...
  6. Windows key has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows key has stopped working: I have a problem with the Windows key no longer working on my daughter’s new Windows 10 laptop. If I press the key, nothing happens. I know it’s not the key itself because if I restore the entire hard drive from a Macrium Reflect image, it works perfectly. The only trouble...
  7. Windows 10 activation after hardware swap

Windows 10 activation after hardware swap: Hello, I have recently swapped out most of my pc hardware and can no longer use my activation code and I have checked on the help pages and haven't found anything that has helped. Any suggestions?...
  8. BSOD after Hardware Swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Hardware Swap: Hey, yesterday i swapped out my Intel I7 6700K and my Asus Hero VIII for an x570 Aorus Elite with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. After swapping Out the Hardware i got alot of Windows Crashes during boot or while doing something. But a few times i could use everything normally. I...
  9. WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco

WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco: Changed motherboards on computer using windows 10 pro Windows version was previously a windows 7 forced upgrade to windows 10. Swapped motherboard and followed activation instructions via virtual assistant and called support as prompted by virtual assistant. I've...
  10. Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware

Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware: Hi everyone, I just upgraded my PC. New MB, CPU, HD etc. I had an activated copy Windows 10 Pro installed on my old mechanical drive. The new copy of Windows 10 Pro has the same license key, but I can't seem to activate it. When you troubleshoot and click "I've swapped...