Windows 10: My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery

Discus and support My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So yesterday I open my laptop and it says "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to continue." It also makes this weird clicking noise which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ya_Yeet_Account, Mar 27, 2021.

1. My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery

So yesterday I open my laptop and it says "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to continue." It also makes this weird clicking noise which I am pretty sure is from thw hard disk. The first thing I did was to try to find a fix but nothing I found online seemed to work so I realized that my only option left was to factory reset it. When I get into the system recovery and press reset it says there is a partition error and shuts down. I managed to open the command line and actually managed to save all my data but even from the command line the system reset commands fail.

Is there any way to factory reset it and keep windows or is this completely lost?

submitted by /u/Ya_Yeet_Account
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ya_Yeet_Account, Mar 27, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Mar 27, 2021
  3. yogurt_21 Win User
    Data recovery software

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

click the top spoiler and then look down to recovery.

All of the suggestions in the old threads were consolidated into that one.

yogurt_21, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery

windows recovery loop

Hi,

Please answer these question to assist you better.

Are you able to Windows recovery environment?

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.

Do let us know if you are able to boot to desktop. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery

1. My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery - Similar Threads - boot can't reset

2. System files gone can't factory reset stuck at recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files gone can't factory reset stuck at recovery: Can't boot into windows . My drive is missing all files its literally empty I had run a gmer scan prior and it showed rootkit was present now I'm stuck at recovery Can't factory reset since all windows files are gone...
  3. System files gone can't factory reset stuck at recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System files gone can't factory reset stuck at recovery: Can't boot into windows . My drive is missing all files its literally empty I had run a gmer scan prior and it showed rootkit was present now I'm stuck at recovery Can't factory reset since all windows files are gone...
  4. System files gone can't factory reset stuck at recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I can't reset my system

I can't reset my system: I have tried resetting my system after I update my window 10 home. A whole lot of things have happened since I did that. The max processor speed has been reduced, my system is way slower than I used to, some apps are going bunkers without warning. I have tried resetting it...
  6. I can't access my UEFI or reset my system

I can't access my UEFI or reset my system: After recently updating my operating system to windows 10, I can't access my UEFI nor reset my system. I've tried to access the UEFI using the normal procedures but it restarts and hangs. It doesn't boot completely. I would have to force shutdown it for it to work properly....
  7. I can't boot into my system win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't boot into my system win10: I am not able to boot into my laptop and i am getting this error. How to fix this[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-boot-into-my-system-win10/8cfbc622-5ab8-4b73-b060-57e8b16dc33b
  8. Can't reset my pc and also I can't create recovery drive

Can't reset my pc and also I can't create recovery drive: From past two days i'm trying to reset my laptop but i'm getting error in pic I've done all the possibilities found around google and youtube . All of them were failed. Please help me. [IMG]...
  9. System will not boot or complete system recovery

in Windows 10 Customization
    System will not boot or complete system recovery: unspecified error occured during system restore (0x80070003) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-will-not-boot-or-complete-system-recovery/b4f597e4-d517-490f-9cbc-9ce734cc20b6
  10. No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen

in Windows 10 Support
    No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen: I crashed on trying to boot the PC. Tried to get to a reset screen but none is made available. It tried to repair itself and failed several times before I gave up. I can't get to restore points or images on the system. I went to my bakup PC and downloaded a Win 10 iso that I...