Windows 10: Mysterious Drive

Discus and support Mysterious Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sparker781, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Mysterious Drive

Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties.

A Google Search reveal several posts with similar issues but nothing that matches this issue.

Disk Management doesn't show the drive at all and Disk Part has the same results

Anyone know why this happened and how to get rid of it?

Thanks

:)

sparker781, Sep 19, 2018
  2. little cat, Sep 19, 2018
  3. mysterious local drive z:

Yes, I would say it most likely is Win10 doing this, as has been experienced by
    many other people who've created numerous threads about this same issue of a mysterious Z: drive that appears and disappears seemingly at random. (According to one theory Z: is the ESP or recovery partition mistakenly being assigned a drive letter,
    and the issue is possibly related to Windows updates.)

As such, my suggestion would be to map to a different drive letter, and ignore the other ridiculous suggestion made above. Most definitely everyone who's seen Z: come and go doesn't have a broken Win10 copy necessitating a reinstall. This is just another
    Windows bug.

RobertJWin, Sep 19, 2018
  4. clayto Win User

Mysterious Drive

Recovery Drive Mystery

Thank you Bree, the details you provided largely clears up the 'mystery' except that I am not aware that I opted not to backup system files (the default). The list of files amounting to around 4 GB is the sort of thing I was expecting. Plus, when you refer to the Boot etc. files taking only a few minutes to create, the time taken in my attempt to create the Recovery Drive was over an hour! (despite it being a clean, formatted drive). So it seems to me that some mysteries remain.

Anyway, I will now try again, and look out for the backup system files option to make sure it is on..

clayto, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Mysterious Drive

1. Mysterious Drive - Similar Threads - Mysterious Drive

2. One Drive Mysteries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Mysteries: Maybe its because I didn't get a good nights sleep, but I can't figure out how to insure a folder on my PC is also on OneDrive.I'm not even sure if I am using the correct language.I have a One Drive account. It shows up in File Explorer. I want to make sure all the documents...
  3. One Drive Mysteries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Mysteries: Maybe its because I didn't get a good nights sleep, but I can't figure out how to insure a folder on my PC is also on OneDrive.I'm not even sure if I am using the correct language.I have a One Drive account. It shows up in File Explorer. I want to make sure all the documents...
  4. Mysterious files taking up large space in drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious files taking up large space in drive: Hi, I recently found out that one of my drives nearly ran out of storage. I was very surprised because I was very sure that I did not intentionally put many files in the drive. Windows11 tells me that there are 587GB of "Other" files first snapshot below, but when I clicked...
  5. Mysterious files taking up large space in drive

Mysterious files taking up large space in drive: Hi, I recently found out that one of my drives nearly ran out of storage. I was very surprised because I was very sure that I did not intentionally put many files in the drive. Windows11 tells me that there are 587GB of "Other" files first snapshot below, but when I clicked...
  6. Mystery folder /drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mystery folder /drive: I went to create a restore point and seen this Folder/Drive. What is it and how do I get rid of it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-folder-drive/6291c511-c9bd-49fc-a9a2-6e4818b60be3
  7. Mystery folder /drive

Mystery folder /drive: I went to create a restore point and seen this Folder/Drive. What is it and how do I get rid of it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-folder-drive/6291c511-c9bd-49fc-a9a2-6e4818b60be3
  8. Can't get rid of mysterious "CD Player" in order to free up D: Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get rid of mysterious "CD Player" in order to free up D: Drive: As shown I have 6 drives with this mysterious CD Drive not showing up. I also already uninstalled all VD'sexcept for MS Virtual Drive and it still won't leave. ALso when I try to eject I get an error message. Lastly it doesn't show up in Diskpart either....
  9. Can't get rid of mysterious "CD Player" in order to free up D: Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get rid of mysterious "CD Player" in order to free up D: Drive: As shown I have 6 drives with this mysterious CD Drive not showing up. I also already uninstalled all VD'sexcept for MS Virtual Drive and it still won't leave. ALso when I try to eject I get an error message. Lastly it doesn't show up in Diskpart either....
  10. Can't get rid of mysterious "CD Player" in order to free up D: Drive