Windows 10: Mysterious error after messing up the registry

Discus and support Mysterious error after messing up the registry in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; One day, I caught myself in a "curiosity killed the cat" situation when I modified a registry key that controls ifS mode is enabled. The key is named,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by test_smode, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Mysterious error after messing up the registry

One day, I caught myself in a "curiosity killed the cat" situation when I modified a registry key that controls ifS mode is enabled. The key is named, "VerifiableAndReputableTrustModeState" something like that, thatis located in the "Cl/Control" areas of the registry. This caused S mode to turn on. My computer wasn't in S mode prior to this point, even as far out as when I bought that computer. That registry key, when enabled, would cause the Windows OS to only run verified and reputable apps. I believe that registry key is responsible for the S mode functionality and apparently, "Smart App

:)

test_smode, Dec 8, 2022
  2. Kursah Win User

BSOD - Registry Error

Your BSOD code is 0X000000051

Here's the Google search I did for it: https://www.google.com/search?q=0x0...j5.399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

There is a hotfix available that might help, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/810558

This thread makes a few good suggestions too: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...dows-7-pro-sp1-registry-error-0x00000051.html

+1 to listing your full system specs, OS version, etc. I did only look at your BSOD log file.

Run a Diskchk /R (I know you already ran one, so you can skip this)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

Report back.

Kursah, Dec 8, 2022
  3. Windows Update corrupted my Registry and Microsoft decided to turn off Registry Backup without telling me

I’ve done all off the above options and none of them work not even reset system.

They all fail because the registry is messed up. DISM fails with error 23 SFC scan now finds nothing wrong and bootrec /rebuildmbr doesn’t work because it’s not able to set the boot record because the registry is messed up.

If the system can’t interact with the registry files and Microsoft stupidly disabled registry backup, none of the recovery tools work because… even recovery points require… you guessed it, registry access.

How about you try renaming your registry files in safe mode to .old then reboot and then try to run any of the steps you suggested and watch how they all fail because they all rely on the registry files being accessible.

Christopher Y. Horvat (chorvat), Dec 8, 2022
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Mysterious error after messing up the registry

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Dec 8, 2022
Thema:

Mysterious error after messing up the registry

1. Mysterious error after messing up the registry - Similar Threads - Mysterious error messing

2. Mysterious error after messing up the registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious error after messing up the registry: One day, I caught myself in a "curiosity killed the cat" situation when I modified a registry key that controls ifS mode is enabled. The key is named, "VerifiableAndReputableTrustModeState" something like that, thatis located in the "Cl/Control" areas of the registry. This...
  3. Mysterious Display registries

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mysterious Display registries: What are these registeries used for? Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\EnergyEstimation\Display DisplayBacklightPowerFloor DisplayBacklightPowerGradient DisplayBacklightPowerQDenominator DisplayBacklightPowerQNumerator...
  4. Mysterious Registry

Mysterious Registry: Greetengs everybody and happy holidays. Could you please explain to me purpose of this Registry Values Windows 10, I couldn't find anything about it on the web: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\EnergyEstimation\Display...
  5. A mysterious error that just showed up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A mysterious error that just showed up: So, I have this error when trying to access the Xbox app called "Explorer.exe class not registered." I also cannot access the start menu what so ever. Same with the "type here to search" bar as well. I also, can't right click on these too. I tried to run powershell in the...
  6. User Shell Folders messed up in registry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User Shell Folders messed up in registry: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/hivdb8cde0l51.png?width=1240&format=png&auto=webp&s=c503dc2939d44c6ebaabdd34b852f5de2022673e Originally I moved my user folders to my D: drive, to clear some space on my C: drive. Yesterday I had to reinstall Windos to fiz a problem. I...
  7. Power Slider Missing after Messing with the Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Slider Missing after Messing with the Registry: I had to mess with the registry to try to allow USB wake on my computer and I remember changing one value inside of it but don't remember which. The value apparently turned off the power slider but didn't help with the allow USB wake problem even when turning allow USB wake...
  8. I messed up my windows registry

I messed up my windows registry: Background story: So i was working on a chatbot in python. The module I was using for text to speech was pyttsx3. It used microsoft voices. I wanted to add more voices and use them. So I intsalled Microsoft James via the settings and tried to use it in pyttsx3, but it didn't...
  9. Registry messed up after ondrive transfer failed / cancelled

Registry messed up after ondrive transfer failed / cancelled: Dear All I had a problem when moving my onedrive folder from an external harddrive (F:\OneDrive) back to my laptop. I had temporarily put the onedrive on an external drive to do some testing due to lack of memory space on my laptop. I followed the steps as per microsoft...
  10. Messed up hexadecimal value of a certain registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up hexadecimal value of a certain registry: Yesterday, i made a foolish mistake of messing with my registry. Now i usually know my way around the registry, but that's not the problem. The problem is that i messed up the hexadecimal value of the mouse setting, specifically the 'Smoothmousexcurve' and...