Windows 10: Mysterious giant svchost.exe downloads, not going to Updates?

Discus and support Mysterious giant svchost.exe downloads, not going to Updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1809. I'm trying to download and install "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909." As usual, most of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alaska, Apr 29, 2020.

1. alaska Win User

Mysterious giant svchost.exe downloads, not going to Updates?

I have Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1809. I'm trying to download and install "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909."

As usual, most of my svchost.exe bandwidth is disappearing into thin air. Last night when I attempted to do this update on my very, very slow connection, I woke up to find that svchost.exe had downloaded 2.2 GB, but when I checked Window Update Activity monitor I found it showed only .2 GB (1/10th) had been downloaded from Microsoft towards the update.

I downloaded wushowhide and even with all updates hidden (theoretically not downloading), svchost.exe is still often using up my bandwidth.

In the past, I've taken my desktop PC to the library for its fast connection doing huge Feature Updates, but that's not an option now.

I've run various virus programs. I've addressed most large update problems by going to the Windows Update Catalog and downloading them with my browser, but apparently Feature Updates aren't found there?

I also have my fully updated Windows 10 laptop on the same private local network, allowing shared updates, but that's doing nothing.

For browsing, I'm getting by with NetBalancer to address my svchost.exe issue, but that doesn't help me with the wasted bandwidth during updates.

:)

alaska, Apr 29, 2020
  2. alaska Win User

I have Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1809. I'm trying to download and install "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909."

As usual, most of my svchost.exe bandwidth is disappearing into thin air. Last night when I attempted to do this update on my very, very slow connection, I woke up to find that svchost.exe had downloaded 2.2 GB, but when I checked Window Update Activity monitor I found it showed only .2 GB (1/10th) had been downloaded from Microsoft towards the update.

I downloaded wushowhide and even with all updates hidden (theoretically not downloading), svchost.exe is still often using up my bandwidth.

In the past, I've taken my desktop PC to the library for its fast connection doing huge Feature Updates, but that's not an option now.

I've run various virus programs. I've addressed most large update problems by going to the Windows Update Catalog and downloading them with my browser, but apparently Feature Updates aren't found there?

I also have my fully updated Windows 10 laptop on the same private local network, allowing shared updates, but that's doing nothing.

For browsing, I'm getting by with NetBalancer to address my svchost.exe issue, but that doesn't help me with the wasted bandwidth during updates.

alaska, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Wile E Win User
    RAM Died: svchost error

svchost is part of the OS, it just interacts with other aspects.

Wile E, Apr 29, 2020
  4. Mysterious giant svchost.exe downloads, not going to Updates?

What does the svchost do?

Lots of Windows services are tied to the SVChost, and /or are listed as SVChost in the process list(s).

Unfortunatley with Vista, there's a lot more dependencies between the services, and thus you'll be FORCED to run more instances of SVChosts; unlike XP where things were more independent and you could disable more features resulting in less SVChost instances. That and XP and Vista are different.

Regardless of your Windows version, you can check out some service slimming guides or goto Black Viper's website and take his advice. Depending on your needs you may be able to cut down the amount of SVChost running, and save some RAM.

XP should never have an SVChost using 50mb. Vista however can.

newconroer, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Mysterious giant svchost.exe downloads, not going to Updates? - Similar Threads - Mysterious giant svchost

2. Svchost and wsappx.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Svchost and wsappx.: Hello, i have a question about svchost and wsappx. These two are showing up in taskmanager and when i try to open the location of wsappx it brings me to svchost in System32. It s this normal?...
  3. Svchost blocked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Svchost blocked: Hey i am Evan I am having problem in my computer When i go to ms-store > download and updates > then when i click get updates then ms store lags and a message come from my antivirus svchost.exe blocked . And in my pc i can't update my apps like minecraft , roblox . Please...
  4. Giant Icons on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Giant Icons on Desktop: My cat walked across my laptop keyboard. [How many help desk queries start like that?] Now the icons are very large and I can't figure out how to resize them. TIA for the help....
  5. Photo download mystery

in Windows 10 Support
    Photo download mystery: Prior to the "new" windows 10 update, I was able to upload new photos to my Documents and they would show in a new folder with the current date. Now that I have updated my windows 10, this has changed, and my photo files go directly to \OneDrive\Pictures they show as...
  6. Problem with Windows Store download and svchost

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Windows Store download and svchost: I had Forza Horizon 4 downloading in the background for a while and i didn't realize the download would resume when I turned on my PC again. I was having network issues, and having forgotten I was downloading the game, I went to my resource monitor and saw svchost receiving...
  7. Downloading an .exe file

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Downloading an .exe file: I've tried to download .exe files, but I get a message that this is not a Microsoft-verified file - then it wants me to go to the Microsoft Store, and I don't want to do this, I want to download the .exe file I started. How can I bypass this message? Thank you....
  8. svchost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost: An aplication in the path C:\Windows\syswow\ is running in the background and it consumes 60% of my cpu how to i stop it? I think it as something about Net Framework our something like that but im not sure. My Windows version is 1607...
  9. Mystery Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mystery Update.: Hello, can someone please advise what this update is, searching Google produces no results? Thank you, . : see attachment [img] 91954
  10. Mysterious Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mysterious Update: Hello. A few hours ago, when I shut off my pc, I had the screen "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." And it took about 20 mins. I thought it was an update, but Update Chronology says last update was on 15 March, so 2 days ago.What happened? 79589