Windows 10: Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes?

Discus and support Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can anyone explain what's happened to my hard drive and what I should do with it? MiniTool Partition Wizard shows Disk 3 looks like this with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matuzak, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Matuzak Win User

Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes?

Can anyone explain what's happened to my hard drive and what I should do with it? MiniTool Partition Wizard shows Disk 3 looks like this with partitions in the positive and negative petabyte sizes.

Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes? [​IMG]

At the bottom of the picture Disk 3 is considered Unallocated. Windows Disk Management reports 45 such partitions. I didn't create them. Also I can still read and probably write to the real partition of 2791.49 GB. Acronis True Image Home 2014 says it successfully wrote a backup to the drive last week.

I discovered the mystery when I installed a larger SSD to replace my C drive on disk 1. I tried using Acronis' clone drive feature. While checking the state of all the drives it threw up a few dozen "retry ignore cancel" boxes saying "Failed to read from sector ______ of hard disk 3." Check Disk says nothing is wrong. Partition Wizard's surface scan found nothing wrong.

After telling it to ignore those sectors it allowed me to start cloning but then the program stopped doing anything. I disconnected Disk 3 and tried the clone again. It seemed to work. I disconnected the old disk 1 and booted from the new. About a minute after reaching the desktop, the mouse cursor still moved but everything else was "not responding". I disconnected disk 3, Windows booted fine, I used the computer for hours, turned it off, re-connected disk 3, it booted fine and Windows has been working all day with the files on disk 3 read-able. Although it's working now, I'm not comfortable with the situation and just leaving it alone. Please help and advise.

:)

Matuzak, Aug 26, 2019
  2. fredde Win User

Partition Sizes?

My new system has 2 150 g Raptors in Raid0. I normally keep the O/S on one partition, installed applications on another, and my paging file on another partition. With a volume size of 300 gigs, what would you suggest as far as partition sizes are concerned?

Thank-You. *Smile Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes? :)*Smile Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes? :)

fredde, Aug 26, 2019
  3. g geek Win User
    clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

My HP Vista laptop took a swim and died. I pulled the 320MB HD, put it in an external enclosure and found it still good. Bought a new Dell Win 10 machine w/ 1TB HD. Plan was to:

• Partition off a piece of the new 1TB w/ native Win10 Disk Management.

• Clone the 320MB Vista drive into the new partition w/ Easeus Partition Manager.

• Run Paragon-adaptive-restore on the Vista partition.

• Set up as dual-boot Win10 / Vista.
    Ran into problems right away. Apparently can't clone the MBR HD to a GPT partition and have it remain bootable. Don't see a way to do this without wiping the new Dell 1TB clean – which I'm hesitant to do, especially since I'm about 6000 miles from
    home right now.

• What's the solution to cloning the MBR drive to a bootable GPT partition?

• Am I on the right track? I really want to preserve this Vista installation - I have 30+ years of data in legacy programs on it that would be very difficult to access in Win10.
    TIA

g geek, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes?

Partition Sizes?

Depends on how much you need for each. For the one O/S....you should be looking at 15 GB (if using this partition to store things like documents, movies, pics...120 or more GB), page file...3-4 GB (since you only have 1 GB of ram), then the rest for installed applications.

kwchang007, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes?

1. Mysterious HD partitions w/ positive and negative petabyte sizes? - Similar Threads - Mysterious partitions positive

2. My laptop a Samsung I acciently changed the positive with negative

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop a Samsung I acciently changed the positive with negative: My Samsung Laptop Win 10 19h2 had a problem with his laptop jack, which I fix. I used one of those universal chargers where you plug in the correct point which fits in laptop. It works 100% then assemble it. Then I checked with multi-meter outside negative 19.4V and inside...
  3. Screen position/size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen position/size: I am working on replacing an arcade screen with a 43inch flat screen but my issue is after setting the orentiation some of the bottom (left side) will be hidden by the cabinet i need to set the screen position so that the screen is inside my glass frame but I cannot find any...
  4. how to convert film negatives to positives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to convert film negatives to positives?: how to convert film negatives to positives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-film-negatives-to-positives/982541e1-9f38-4f3d-9700-fd54f01558c6
  5. Partition size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition size: Hi so i was trying to dual boot ubuntu and windows and i tried to create a new partition for ubuntu but the maximum size for the partition is 134mb and i tried typing in the number of 60gb but it maxed out at 134 so i dont know what to do and if anyone has any help please...
  6. Window Size and Position

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Size and Position: I might already have a thread about this. An application window will have a given size and position upon initial installation. I have a window which has had both changed since its initial installation. I want to restore the original values. I tried uninstalling it and...
  7. window size and position

in Windows 10 Customization
    window size and position: HOW IS IT THAT WINDOWS10 CANNOT REMEMBER THE SIZE AND POSITION OF AN OPEN WINDOW/APPLICATION AFTER IT HAS BEEN CLOSED AND THEN RE-OPENED? I've done a quick search that revealed that previous versions of Windows have had the same issue with the system failing to do the...
  8. Converting old film slide negatives to positive ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Converting old film slide negatives to positive ?: I've about 60 old Kodachrome film slides from the Eighties which I've downloaded ok but can't remember how to turn the original negatives to positive which I'd already done before. I thought it was using Paint 3D but it isn't though from memory I think it might have already...
  9. App size/position

in Windows 10 Customization
    App size/position: Hi, I recently had a problem with my PC where I had to reset it and I took a photo of my desktop so I can re download everything.[ATTACH] As you can see the icons are miss aligned. Does anyone know a fix to this?...
  10. False negative or false positive ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    False negative or false positive ?: Win 10 Home 10586.164 Did a Sfc /scannow. Result : found corrupted files but unable to repair some of them. Did a dism..../restorehealth. Result : Restore operation successful. Did a sfc /scannow right after dism. Result : found corrupted files but unable to...