Windows 10: Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related?

Discus and support Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there - TLDR: CPU temps are really high, it isn't a CPU cooler issue and no obvious CPU usage causing it. Out of ideas to fix it. I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ConcoursFTW, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related?

Hi there -

TLDR: CPU temps are really high, it isn't a CPU cooler issue and no obvious CPU usage causing it. Out of ideas to fix it.

I am running Windows 10 on a machine with an 6850k and a Corsair H100 AIO cooler. I have the CPU OC'd to 4.1GHz. About 8 or 9 months ago, I noticed that my CPU temps shot up seemingly overnight from 30c - 35c idle to 40c - 50c with the same ambient temp of around 20c - 23c. I monitored the CPU usage and never say anything strange or new - system idle remained at 99% and there was an occasional blip of less than 1% overall CPU usage from a combination of Norton, Task Manager, Open hardware manager and a couple other minor things. Eventually, the idle temps increased to 50c - 55c with temps hitting 85c - 100c under load. I applied new thermal paste and re-seated the cpu block. Temps dropped about 10c, but then increased again after a few weeks.

Fast forward several months (a week ago). I moved to a new home and when I setup the PC, magically the temps were back to where they should be and stayed that way until today. I've been struggling to get the Windows Update to build 1803 since for almost 18 months. My snooze option expired last night - as usual, I woke up, turned on the PC this morning (it had shut down while trying to update - I usually leave it running) and everything was still ok (I confirmed that for about the 30th time, the update failed). I decided to try to actually fix the problem - did some troubleshooting, followed some suggestions for bios tweaks and installing the update manually - everything failed, so I finally just hid the updating using Microsoft's tool. Now, however, my CPU temps are all jacked up again. There are no system processes running at more than 1 or 2% CPU usage. Overall CPU usage fluctuates between .1 and maybe 2.5% while idle.

I'm at a loss.

:)

ConcoursFTW, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Sep 11, 2019
  3. deadalos Win User
    "System" process with high CPU usage

I have exactly the same issue (high CPU usage) on a brand new HP ProBook 440 G5 (i7-8550U, pre-installed Win 10 Pro).

I am pretty sure that there is a problem with audio drivers when the computer wakes up from a sleep mode. I first observed that process flow.exe (audio bloatware provided by HP/Conexant) was consuming (after waking up) ~10–15 % CPU. Here's what I did:

• I have updated Windows to 1709, build 16229.251 and installed all updates --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have updated BIOS to the latest version provided by HP. --> Nothing has changed.
    • I have run Windows troubleshooting and HP Support Assistant checks --> No problems found, nothing has changed
    • I have manually updated Conexant ISST Audio Drivers (via Device Manager -> Update drivers). Windows installed a newer version. -->
      CPU usage by flow.exe has disappeared, but process called System in thread ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 started consuming ~20 % CPU.
    • I have uninstalled all Conexant software&drivers and manually installed generic High Definition Audio Device drivers provided by Microsoft (Driver Date: 21.02.2018). --> ACPI.sys+0x21cb0 still consumes ~20 % CPU.

Same issues are discussed in these threads on HP site:

The result is I cannot use sleep mode (as advised by this post:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/ProBook-450-with-high-CPU-usage/m-p/6611446/highlight/true#M149605
    ).

deadalos, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related?

High cpu usage caused by tiworker.exe

I noticed this today, too. I was not doing anything, Chrome was open but on a static page. Closed Chrome and still noticed high CPU usage. Sort Processes by CPU and it was bouncing 20-30%. Reading that it is the update process so I ran Windows Update
    and there were no updates. I did not look at network activity but CPU Usage declined a little but WTF is is still using so much? And why is it ALWAYS running?

"Critical" suggests it will crash the system if terminated. I killed the process without any issue.

ScottTalhelm, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related?

1. Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related? - Similar Threads - Mysterious intermittent high

2. Are the temps of cpu at this high normal when charging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are the temps of cpu at this high normal when charging?: So i have a acer latpop with gtx 1650 and ryzen 7, sometimes when playing roblox on it while charging would bring the cpu temps over 90 degrees celcius and when using laptop for using chrome with one tab open would bring cpu temps to 55 degrees and over. Is this normal?...
  3. Are the temps of cpu at this high normal when charging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are the temps of cpu at this high normal when charging?: So i have a acer latpop with gtx 1650 and ryzen 7, sometimes when playing roblox on it while charging would bring the cpu temps over 90 degrees celcius and when using laptop for using chrome with one tab open would bring cpu temps to 55 degrees and over. Is this normal?...
  4. CPU temp very high on low load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU temp very high on low load: I've noticed since a few days ago, my PC fans have been running very hard. I thought it was the settings on BIOS, so I checked and the settings were still the same. However, once I dug deeper and used RealTemps to check the temps of my CPU, turns out it's my CPU that is...
  5. Temp related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp related: Can you tell me what is this tmp files in app data start with tw-4b70 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-related/b267d4a3-3d33-43af-b7ea-cd617ffa9063
  6. Temp related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp related: Can you tell me what is this tmp files in app data start with tw-4b70 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-related/b267d4a3-3d33-43af-b7ea-cd617ffa9063
  7. Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps: So I recently did a long-needed upgrade for my computer and replaced my CPU, motherboard, and ram but for some reason when I boot into windows 10, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and the temp gets as high as 95*C. I've tried checking task manager but weirdly enough it restores...
  8. High CPU/GPU Temps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU/GPU Temps: Hi, I've noticed high CPU/GPU temps when my watercooler pump and fan are maxed out and all the fans are maxed out currently I only have a browser open and my temps are as follows: [img] What is also concerning is currently my GTX 1070 is only powering the 2 monitors(Not...
  9. High CPU/GPU Temps

in Windows 10 Support
    High CPU/GPU Temps: Hi, I've noticed high CPU/GPU temps when my watercooler pump and fan are maxed out and all the fans are maxed out currently I only have a browser open and my temps are as follows: [img] What is also concerning is currently my GTX 1070 is only powering the 2 monitors(Not...
  10. Very high CPU Temps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very high CPU Temps: Hi I turned my PC on this morning as I do every morning but instead of behaving like it normally does the fans started spinning 100%. So I checked the temps in the BIOS and the CPU is running at 89c. I have cleaned off and reapplied the thermal paste. I used Arctic...