Windows 10: Mystery COM Surrogate crashes

Discus and support Mystery COM Surrogate crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone at all have any good suggestions on troubleshooting these? I seem to be getting these at random times, with no rhyme or reason. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pirx, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Pirx Win User

Mystery COM Surrogate crashes

Does anyone at all have any good suggestions on troubleshooting these?

I seem to be getting these at random times, with no rhyme or reason. The faulting module is quite often, but not always mso20win32client.dll, but I've seen mso30win32client.dll once, or none indicated at all. The crashes can appear right after a restart, but sometimes they happen hours later when the machine is idle, doing nothing in particular at all. These events have started to appear a few weeks back, and the only system changes that occurred right before this started was an automatic Office 365 update.

I am unable so far to correlate the crashes with any particular activity or program running on the machine, and I do not notice any lack of functionality before or after the crashes. I went through the task manager log, and I checked if I could correlate the crashes with other messages in the event viewer, with no success. They also happen infrequently: I can go up to three or even four days without issue, only to see one of these pop up again in my event viewer. I have never seen more than two of them a day.

So, does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might identify the culprit?

P.S.: And please, for the love of god, don't suggest running the system file checker. In all my years of Windows computing I have never, ever seen a single problem, nor have I found any evidence on the internet of non-catastrophic problems like this being linked to corrupt system files. All cases I have ever heard of or seen where sfc found anything were related to systems that had been completely hosed, either by the user or through obvious hardware failures...

:)

Pirx, Nov 7, 2017

2. Com surrogate consumes all the memory memory

Hi,

The dllhost.exe process goes by the name COM Surrogate and the only time you're likely even to notice its existence is when it crashes and you get the message COM Surrogate has stopped working. What is this COM Surrogate and
    why does it keep crashing?

The COM Surrogate is a fancy name for Sacrificial process for a COM object that is run outside of the process that requested it. Explorer uses the COM Surrogate when extracting thumbnails, for example. If you go to a folder with thumbnails enabled,
    Explorer will fire off a COM Surrogate and use it to compute the thumbnails for the documents in the folder. It does this because Explorer has learned not to trust thumbnail extractors; they have a poor track record for stability. Explorer has decided to absorb
    the performance penalty in exchange for the improved reliability resulting in moving these dodgy bits of code out of the main Explorer process. When the thumbnail extractor crashes, the crash destroys the COM Surrogate process instead of Explorer.

In other words, the COM Surrogate is the I don't feel good about this code, so I'm going to ask COM to host it in another process. That way, if it crashes, it's the COM Surrogate sacrificial process that crashes instead of me process. And when it
    crashes, it just means that Explorer's worst fears were realized.

In practice, if you get these types of crashes when browsing folders containing video or media files, the problem is most likely a flaky codec.

chk the link

What does the COM Surrogate do and why does it always stop working?

Try creating a new user account and check in it

Mark Antony86, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    2 COM Surrogate running in Task Manager

Here's a short and relatively understandable Microsoft Developer blog article from 2009 discussing the COM Surrogate. The quote following below is from the article.

What does the COM Surrogate do and why does it always stop working?

"The COM Surrogate is a fancy name for Sacrificial process for a COM object that is run outside of the process that requested it. Explorer uses the COM Surrogate when extracting thumbnails, for example. If you go to a folder with thumbnails enabled,
    Explorer will fire off a COM Surrogate and use it to compute the thumbnails for the documents in the folder. It does this because Explorer has learned not to trust thumbnail extractors; they have a poor track record for stability. Explorer has decided to absorb
    the performance penalty in exchange for the improved reliability resulting in moving these dodgy bits of code out of the main Explorer process. When the thumbnail extractor crashes, the crash destroys the COM Surrogate process instead of Explorer."

If you think about this excerpt, it's reasonable to believe that if an instance of a COM Surrogate were to crash and another were to be started in its place, there'd quite possibly appear to be two of these temporarily displayed in Task Manager since we
    often see other processes come and go with some lag.

The other clearly possible situation is simply that more than one COM Surrogate has been requested based upon the other processes you've been using which cause this to be invoked. If you were to do two things in close succession which Explorer or some other
    key Windows process determines might be risky to system stability, the COM surrogate may be invoked by more than one of these.

The primary thing to understand is that the COM Surrogate itself is being invoked in order to protect an operating system process such as Explorer from potentially crashing itself, so seeing these is a good thing regardless of what might be causing them
    to be displayed.

Rob

Rob Koch, Nov 7, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

That problem is related to Office. Helps to know what version that you have, along with have you tried going in Programs and Features, to do a repair? Have you tried doing a search and read those posts to try the fixes listed.

bro67, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Pirx Win User
    Like I said, Office 365, which gets continuous updates to the latest version of everything. So, essentially Office 2016.
    Repair does nothing. I'm not even sure it's Office that's the culprit; this is Windows we are talking about, everything could be linked to anything...

Pirx, Nov 7, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Hmm, that is the brand name, not the actual version that it is going by. If you look at your list of updates and noticed that the problems started when the last set of updates happened, you go in and uninstall those updates and the problem magically goes away.

Everyone that has dealt with Microsoft's products since the first day they pushed MSDos out, knows that they have a tendency to screw things up royally. That is why people make backups, make sure that System Restore is on and that there are restore points made to allow you to roll back out of a bad update to something.

The problem is again with 365, not with Windows 10, if you did a search for that filename. You want to blame Windows, that is fine. Those who know better, are going to point fingers at a bad update for once again, which is Office.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mystery COM Surrogate crashes - Similar Threads - Mystery COM Surrogate

2. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  3. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  4. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Is it bad that I have three COM Surrogate showing up on Task Manager? Someone said its a virus. I also have Antivirus called BitDefender please someone help this is only new laptop, I dont want viruses!...
  5. COM Surrogate

COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Customization
    COM Surrogate: A Window that keeps popping up once a day called COM Surrogate in Task Manager and its really starting to annoy me. The window says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create...
  7. COM Surrogate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    COM Surrogate?: I downloaded a JPG file and resized it, I have done this a million times. After saving it ballooned to 300MB and would not let me upload to the site I usually do, go to delete the file and it says cannot delete file because of COM surrogate. I stopped COM surrogate and then...
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate: I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on? 31943