Windows 10: Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages

Discus and support Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an unusual problem. My desktop PC keeps throwing “disk full” error messages ( approx. every 5 minutes) for a mysterious drive volume, “i:”... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by theJonathanWilliams, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages

I have an unusual problem. My desktop PC keeps throwing “disk full” error messages ( approx. every 5 minutes) for a mysterious drive volume, “i:” drive. This volume was part of the host drive’s original configuration. According to its properties, the volume’s total capacity is 449 MB. Used capacity is shown as 407 MB.

File Explorer shows it has no files or directories, Consequently, I cannot view its contents, e.g. via notepad. I cannot determine what app or process has filled/accessed this drive.

It does not appear to be a hidden system file. A scan of the partition shows no errors. All permissions are allowed. No sharing is allowed. The file system is NTFS. The Disk Clean utility shows that zero bytes can be recovered by a cleaning process. No compression is enabled.

The host hard drive is a 1Tb SATA drive. It’s properties show a usage of 105 MB out of 918 MB.

The PC is nearly virginal, i.e. the only new applications added are Office 360 apps which were downloaded directly from Microsoft. The PC’s original OS was Windows 8.1 which was upgraded to 10 via Microsoft’s website.

All Windows updates have been done on a regular basis. Also, Windows Defender scans are routinely done and it reports no viruses, etc.

Window’s prompts recommend to compress or clean the i: drive, but they fail.

With the exception of the error message, the PC runs normally.

The PC (XPS 8700) was bought new from COSTCO. It came with an offer for a free Kaspersky virus protection software but it was never downloaded.

Any suggestions on how to identify what is accessing this drive and causing the problem are welcome.

:)

theJonathanWilliams, Nov 12, 2018

2. Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the exact steps mentioned below and check if you are able to perform the action.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

• In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

• Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up
      space.
    Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Mystery item in Optimize disks list?

I'm running the Windows 10 defrag manually and am seeing this mysterious entry in the lists of drives:

\\?\Volume{long-hypen-separated-hex-string}

I can't see anyway of identifying what this is (other items are marked with their disk id, C: or D: etc).

This has been there ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 (it did not appear on the Drive list with Windows 8.1 defrag).

Does anyone know what this is and whether it should be there? Is it removable and , if so, how?

Thanks.

Blennerhasset, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages

Hard Drive Disk Error

One of my customers just sent me a message regarding a HDD error.

This is the information he gave me.

"Said there is a disk error and it keeps trying to fix it via start up repair

Was fine this morning, turned off normally now won't start up because this disk error thing"

He's only had the system for a few days and I only had it for a week, just wanted to know if this is fixable or should I just RMA the HDD straight away?

pantherx12, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages

1. Mystery disk volume - disk full error messages - Similar Threads - Mystery disk volume

2. disks and volumes showing full repair needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disks and volumes showing full repair needed: Hello when i am trying to download epic games launcher it is showing me invalid d drive when i tried see whats wrong with disks and volumes i come across this suggestion...
  3. disks and volumes showing full repair needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disks and volumes showing full repair needed: Hello when i am trying to download epic games launcher it is showing me invalid d drive when i tried see whats wrong with disks and volumes i come across this suggestion...
  4. Disk Full

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Full: Hi y'all, this is my first ever Reddit post so be kind. I have just switched back to a PC after years of Mac and Chromebook. I have lots of questions about Windows but the first one is that my C drive is almost full just with the programmes the machine is running. I have...
  5. Mystery Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Virtual Disk: I've got a mystery virtual disk and I have no idea what it is, where it is or where it came from. I can see it in Device Manager, I can see it in Intel SSD toolbox, but there's nothing in Disk Management. I've unhidden empty drives and files too. [img] [img] [img] 159690
  6. Disk Full Message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Full Message: Hi, I get a disk is very nearly full error, but the numbers just don't add up. Near as I can tell I'm running 10.0.18362.1 Herlp! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-full-message/9856d400-216c-4981-8771-e5c3fa72dc81
  7. mysterious virtual disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mysterious virtual disk: I have a Virtual Drive B: that has appeared on my system. It is the EXACT same size as my C drive and shows the exact same amount of free space as my c drive However the content of this drive are just 2 folders Files and folders system state VSS It does not show up...
  8. Disk Full

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Full: Hi, My hard disk is full but I can't find any large files on the drive. I have found a file called Apple that is 33GB but when I click into it says empty! What could this be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-full/e7aff23b-6141-4d40-a40e-7e83ea510502
  9. Getting Disk Space Full Error Message.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Getting Disk Space Full Error Message.: I have lenovo yoga 520 laptop. it is showing me disk space full. i have deleted showing me 100mb free only. 115647
  10. Disk full error message when trying to save a file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk full error message when trying to save a file: Hi, I have the following error message when I try to save a (any) file: [img] According to File Explorer, I have 463 GB HD and 173 GB is free. The disk management has the following information: [img] Please help me find out what eats up my HD. Thank you. 69854