Windows 10: Mystery drive in File Explorer

Discus and support Mystery drive in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RhinoCan, Dec 7, 2016.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Mystery drive in File Explorer

I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me that I don't have permission to see it, even though it is my computer and I installed Windows on it. File and folder sharing says it is not shared.

I don't know what to make of this. Is it some form of malware? How do I see what's on it? How do I remove if I don't want it there?

:)

RhinoCan, Dec 7, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Dec 7, 2016
  3. File explorer problem in Windows 10

I did not have the problem that you have mentioned, but my problems with file explorer have mysteriously been resolved.

AlanWoodburn, Dec 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Have you anything that's created a virtual drive perhaps? Although Z would not be the drive letter I'd perhaps expect.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2016
  5. RhinoCan Win User
    Not deliberately or consciously. I vaguely remember creating a virtual drive several years ago, a few computers back, and I haven't done anything like that on this computer.

I should mention that I rebooted my laptop today and the EZ drive was gone afterwards. However, this EZ drive has come and gone before so I'm not counting on it staying gone.

RhinoCan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mystery drive in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Mystery drive File

2. Mystery folder /drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mystery folder /drive: I went to create a restore point and seen this Folder/Drive. What is it and how do I get rid of it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-folder-drive/6291c511-c9bd-49fc-a9a2-6e4818b60be3
  3. Mystery file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery file: 1c7b1472-9b59-4652-9dde-f1dc675649cc Find in WER/temp folder but # changes after reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-file/731f8936-7e73-4c24-8a82-688e024eb67b
  4. Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive: Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just posted it here. So a little while ago I was browsing my hard drive looking for stuff to get rid of when I came across four surface-level files by the names of "82aatransfers134", "82abtransfer188", "Xselect95", and...
  5. Mystery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mystery drive: Available drives \\?\Volumes(22100F1af1f9-4a2d92. That is an extra drive that is showing. It shows protection settings off for also. And I noticed the shared PC account manager shows catastrophic failure. Can anyone help me out with this....
  6. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  7. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  8. Mystery Drive Appeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Drive Appeared: I have a Local Disc drive appeared on my system, System(Z) 356 MB capacity, 85.5MB used space,Fat 32 file system,if I click on Hardware it shows a CD Rom drive,can anyone offer any advice? 48949
  9. Recovery Drive Mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Drive Mystery: I prepared a large capacity USB flash drive formatted with NTFS ready to create a Recovery Drive. The first two attempts took a long time before reporting there was a problem. The third attempt also took a long time but everything looked like it had worked OK. However, when I...
  10. Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious files showing up in file explorer: Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move all of my data files from C: to the D: drive leaving only OS and program files on C:. I did not permanently delete...