Windows 10: Mystery drive

Discus and support Mystery drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Available drives \\?\Volumes(22100F1af1f9-4a2d92. That is an extra drive that is showing. It shows protection settings off for also. And I noticed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by magicdragon1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mystery drive

Available drives \\?\Volumes(22100F1af1f9-4a2d92. That is an extra drive that is showing. It shows protection settings off for also. And I noticed the shared PC account manager shows catastrophic failure. Can anyone help me out with this.

:)

magicdragon1, Jan 11, 2019
  2. little cat, Jan 11, 2019
  3. mysterious local drive z:

Yes, I would say it most likely is Win10 doing this, as has been experienced by
    many other people who've created numerous threads about this same issue of a mysterious Z: drive that appears and disappears seemingly at random. (According to one theory Z: is the ESP or recovery partition mistakenly being assigned a drive letter,
    and the issue is possibly related to Windows updates.)

As such, my suggestion would be to map to a different drive letter, and ignore the other ridiculous suggestion made above. Most definitely everyone who's seen Z: come and go doesn't have a broken Win10 copy necessitating a reinstall. This is just another
    Windows bug.

RobertJWin, Jan 11, 2019
  4. clayto Win User

Mystery drive

Recovery Drive Mystery

Thank you Bree, the details you provided largely clears up the 'mystery' except that I am not aware that I opted not to backup system files (the default). The list of files amounting to around 4 GB is the sort of thing I was expecting. Plus, when you refer to the Boot etc. files taking only a few minutes to create, the time taken in my attempt to create the Recovery Drive was over an hour! (despite it being a clean, formatted drive). So it seems to me that some mysteries remain.

Anyway, I will now try again, and look out for the backup system files option to make sure it is on..

clayto, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Mystery drive

1. Mystery drive - Similar Threads - Mystery drive

2. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  3. Mysterious Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Drive: Installed Windows 10 Enterprise for my company. User logs in and when he open This PC he notices a mysterious drive (M) with a Blue Question mark over the drive. Right clicking on the drive and choosing properties reveals nothing but folder properties. A Google Search...
  4. ESP drive letter E mysteriously appears

ESP drive letter E mysteriously appears: I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I looked at my updates, doesn't appear that any went on recently, yet, today my computer rebooted itself, now I have a new drive letter. Any ideas? I can't access the drive....
  5. Help solve a mystery: cause of drive errors / corrupt system files

in Windows 10 Support
    Help solve a mystery: cause of drive errors / corrupt system files: Happy to start of this post by saying, I performed a factory reset on my machine and it is up and running. Though my computer is thankfully functional again, I'm not sure what went wrong in the first place... so I'm posting generally, soliciting advice from anyone who feels...
  6. Mysterious drive Z: appears!

Mysterious drive Z: appears!: Hello every one, have a good day! Here i come with my recent problem as in thread title. Recently i found a Z: drive that i cannot acces or modify it in any way. Here is some data that i gathered: Code: DISKPART> detail disk Hitachi HTS541010A9E680 Disk ID:...
  7. Mystery Hard drive

Mystery Hard drive: 1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use. Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive. Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows only 488 GB in use. No, the new hard drive is not showing any compression being used. All programs, data, pictures and...
  8. Mystery Drive Appeared

Mystery Drive Appeared: I have a Local Disc drive appeared on my system, System(Z) 356 MB capacity, 85.5MB used space,Fat 32 file system,if I click on Hardware it shows a CD Rom drive,can anyone offer any advice? 48949
  9. Mystery drive in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery drive in File Explorer: I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me...
  10. Recovery Drive Mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Drive Mystery: I prepared a large capacity USB flash drive formatted with NTFS ready to create a Recovery Drive. The first two attempts took a long time before reporting there was a problem. The third attempt also took a long time but everything looked like it had worked OK. However, when I...